Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 3,584 times

Advertisements

It would be great if they restrict it to EU + Ukraine and Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 05:53 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
If you can contribute and assimilate color shouldn’t matter.
I think this lottery thing sounds lacking.

Fresh new people with dreams are a good thing.
Clearing out prison cells and supplying us the worst is not in our best interest.

I am even for work visas for California field workers.

There are a lot of hard working people that can contribute here.
I say let us properly vet them first and make everything above the table.

The days of illegal/undocumented workers should be a thing of the past.
It is just another form of slavery.

Old 07-25-2021, 06:22 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
If you can contribute and assimilate color shouldn’t matter.
I think this lottery thing sounds lacking.

Fresh new people with dreams are a good thing.
Clearing out prison cells and supplying us the worst is not in our best interest.

I am even for work visas for California field workers.

There are a lot of hard working people that can contribute here.
I say let us properly vet them first and make everything above the table.

The days of illegal/undocumented workers should be a thing of the past.
It is just another form of slavery.
H2 B has been around for decades.

Old 07-25-2021, 06:49 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
and working just fine.
Huh?

Old 07-26-2021, 04:14 PM

157 posts, read 106,089 times
Hate to break it to you but this lotto is over half a century old... Kinda late in complaining about it...

I worked in USCIS and Homeland Security for decades... The lotto isn't even remotely the most abused method for bulk-import of migrant workers...

No offense to anyone... But from what I've seen this forum is a really bad choice to have serious conversations on immigration.. I know more about the application processes than anyone on this forum and you won't see me helping or teaching any time soon....

Old 07-27-2021, 04:04 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
My thought is that "diversity" is a ridiculous criteria on which to base immigrant admissions. What I care about is "how does this person benefit the United States?" Not the other way around, and not just so we can satisfy some diversity fetish that some people have.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:20 PM

1,663 posts, read 876,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Ironically the MAGA Right is so against the diversity lotto but the White share is actually higher than for overall immigration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divers...isa#Statistics
Ironically its leftists who are obsessed with race, not conservatives. I said the diversity lottery is a bad idea, that as a group they are the least likely to be successful, and I provided links to data that backs that up. I couldn't care less what "color" people who immigrate here are, as long as they want to become Americans have a reasonable chance of becoming successful, and will be an asset to the country. The diversity lottery does none of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
My only concern is if high school diploma’s and degrees are authentic as in many countries these are easily to obtain but then as falsified papers.

I know 4 people who won and brought their family over here. One won while already here for years. All of them became proud Americans and contribute to society. 2 of them came here with nothing and the other 2 came here/were here and had money.

How many who win are not proceeding or are denied is something I don’t think has ever been disclosed.
There definitely is an issue with the quality of education in some foreign countries. Standardized tests show that immigrants with a foreign degree perform worse than immigrants with a US degree, and much worse than native born degree holders.

Quote:
Among immigrants in the United States whose highest degree is either a bachelor's ("college") or a master's or Ph.D. ("advanced"), about 40 percent received their highest degree in a foreign country — meaning they are "foreign-educated".

On both literacy and computer operations, foreign-educated immigrants with a college or advanced degree perform so poorly that they score at the level of natives who have only a high school diploma.

On numeracy, foreign-educated immigrants with a college or advanced degree perform closer to the level of natives who have some college education, but not a bachelor's.

Despite their reputation for specializing in STEM fields, about one in six foreign-degree holders score "below basic" in numeracy.

The skill gap between foreign and U.S. degree holders persists even among immigrants who have had at least five years in the United States to learn English.
https://cis.org/Report/ForeignEducat...Degree-Holders

Old 08-05-2021, 06:02 AM

10,107 posts, read 14,972,719 times
The USA can learn from Canada regarding its migration policy. This "diversity lotto" simply doesn't exist in Canada. To make things more interesting, Canada has a higher share of its population consisting of immigrants than the USA. The difference is that immigrants in Canada are better educated than overall immigrants in the USA. The problem with the USA is that a good chunk of its immigrants are basically people that should had never migrated to start with.

A country should use its migration policy to better itself economically, not to become a sort of global charity.

Old 08-05-2021, 06:30 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The USA can learn from Canada regarding its migration policy. This "diversity lotto" simply doesn't exist in Canada. To make things more interesting, Canada has a higher share of its population consisting of immigrants than the USA. The difference is that immigrants in Canada are better educated than overall immigrants in the USA. The problem with the USA is that a good chunk of its immigrants are basically people that should had never migrated to start with.

A country should use its migration policy to better itself economically, not to become a sort of global charity.
You may want to do some research.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:41 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,465,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

Canada's immigration is increasingly dominated by India and China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration