Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM
cel cel started this thread

20 posts, read 57,714 times

Advertisements

Could anyone tell me how much would it cost immigrating to US, and how much money would I need to get started(It's problaby different in different cities ?).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 11:39 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
If you go through the links inthe first thread of this forum...they have the costs for certain forms, processing fee's etc. Then there can be the afidavit of support which requires "x" amount of dollars or assets.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:19 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
USD 500,000 plus expenses if you strictly want to "buy" your way into a visa. Expect a 10+ year wait as investor visas have a huge backlog.

Any other form of immigration requires an employer or US immediate family:

Marriage visas will run you around a minimum of USD 5,000 all told. More if you hire a lawyer or USCIS screws up your case.

H1-b's are supposed to be paid by the company, but don't be surprised if your employer illegally shifts the costs to you. In the range of USD 3,000 but only good for 2 years. Don't know about the green card application.

Cost of living in LA--one of the more expensive cities--can be done reasonably for USD 800/month, but you'll need to skate on the edge without health insurance or a car (which makes life very difficult). If you don't mind a mattress on the floor of an illegally-overcrowded tenament and a generally rougher lifestyle you can go much cheaper.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:26 PM

53 posts, read 295,077 times
Default Few corrections

H1B is for 3 years not 2.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:20 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Depend on what kind of visa you want to persue...what your skills are and with how many people you want to get over here....

Rent, start up can be expensive. Also cost can vary from State to State...

visa's and the help of a lawyer will easily be $ 3,000.- than you need tickets, etc...

A business can be bought or started and some businessess are cheap but won't help you obtaining a visa. E 5 is at least $ 500K..E2 approx $ 100-$ 150K...

Old 06-22-2009, 06:10 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumUser View Post
H1B is for 3 years not 2.
Correct.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Depend on what kind of visa you want to persue...what your skills are and with how many people you want to get over here....

Rent, start up can be expensive. Also cost can vary from State to State...

visa's and the help of a lawyer will easily be $ 3,000.- than you need tickets, etc...

A business can be bought or started and some businessess are cheap but won't help you obtaining a visa. E 5 is at least $ 500K..E2 approx $ 100-$ 150K...
Well I have high school + vocational school education In IT. And I have no working experience, which makes finding a job difficult. And I want a visa that won't expire, I want a permanent visa. Can anyone please tell which visa is right for me (cost's etc...). I don't want to bring any people with me, just me. And I was thinking about L.A or Phoenix.
Thanks

Old 06-23-2009, 01:28 AM

184 posts, read 837,317 times
Marriage to a US citizen, the Diversity Visa Lottery or saving up enough money to invest in your own business are probably your only options, sorry. The US immigration system is one of the hardest in the world and there are very few ways in. Even people with doctorate level degrees and years of experience may still only get temporary visas with only the hopes, but no guarantees, of a company sponsoring them for a green card.

I'm not sure where you are from, but if you are not 100% set on the US and are just looking for a change, you may want to consider Canada, Australia, the UK or New Zealand (where I'm from). We all have skills based migration options which the US does not. But even then, you will probably need at least a degree to qualify.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:55 AM

What about Employment Visas, isnt there any employment visa that won't expire ?

Old 06-23-2009, 04:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel View Post
What about Employment Visas, isnt there any employment visa that won't expire ?
cel, just to be absolutely blunt and not have you waste your time, the answer is no and there is no way you qualify for any sort of a working visa. With just a high school vacation and some vocational training in IT (a field which is loaded right now with unemployed highly educated and experienced people) you don't stand a chance.

If you need verification of this, go to the links in the first thread on this page and the situation will quickly become crystal clear. Sorry. Good luck in the future. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration