Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:26 PM

178 posts, read 540,592 times

Advertisements

This begs the question, why would you let it expire if you intend to stay in the U.S.
Granted it's expensive (several hundred dollars now for a new 10-year card and applying for citizenship is not much more expensive)... I just don't see the advantage in risking legal problems or deportation by failing to reapply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Why not just file for citizenship?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:52 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,646,094 times
"If you are a permanent resident, the expiration date does not affect your status, but you should use Form I-90 to apply for a new card 90 days before this card expires."

This is from the letter that the GC is attached to when one gets it. So appearantly, the green card expires, but your status (as a legal permanent resident) does not. However, you are required to re-apply for a new one before (90 days) it expires.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:47 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I'm in the process of entering the US on a K-1 visa, and subsequently will apply for a green card, and I've wondered about this one.
Congratulations! I did the same thing 8 years or so ago...

Quote:
How important is it to keep it with you at all times? Won't it usually be enough with a drivers license if you have to talk to some law enforcement, or should I actually keep it with me at all times, when that time comes?
I've taken to keeping mine with my passport, because I only use it for travel and when applying for jobs. Technically, that's a violation, but I've never needed anything beyond my California driver's license when dealing with the nice people in the California Highway Patrol. I think the chances of me losing my wallet are higher than the risk of me needing it, and I'd rather not deal with the USCIS unless I have to.

Quote:
(Oh, and enyone who has any relevant information to entering the US on a K-1 and the procedure that follows are welcome to send me a DM about what to expect )
Nothing to it. I sailed through immigration, got a marriage license a few days after, tied the knot and filed for change of status the day after the ceremony.

Technically, you have the right to work on a K-1 - in practice, nobody will hire you without a work permit, which can come reasonably fast. Lay some groundwork, but don't fire off the resumes before you have the paperwork.

Also, file for Advance Parole when you file for change of status. If you need to leave the US while your application is still pending and your case worker has a bad day, they might consider it "abandoning the application". Advance Parole covers that eventuality.

If you have the K-1 visa, you're probably familiar enough with the USCIS to know the ground rules: Read the fine print, then read it again, always send letters with signature receipts, have copies of EVERYTHING, the best sign of progress is when the checks clear, have everything prepared and know that there will be a snafu somewhere.

(Viking? If you're in the Los Angeles Area, let me know. ALways happy to show a fellow Scandihooligan a watering hole or two. Oh, and some sights as well.)

Old 05-11-2010, 08:05 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Congratulations! I did the same thing 8 years or so ago...

I've taken to keeping mine with my passport, because I only use it for travel and when applying for jobs. Technically, that's a violation, but I've never needed anything beyond my California driver's license when dealing with the nice people in the California Highway Patrol. I think the chances of me losing my wallet are higher than the risk of me needing it, and I'd rather not deal with the USCIS unless I have to.

Nothing to it. I sailed through immigration, got a marriage license a few days after, tied the knot and filed for change of status the day after the ceremony.

Technically, you have the right to work on a K-1 - in practice, nobody will hire you without a work permit, which can come reasonably fast. Lay some groundwork, but don't fire off the resumes before you have the paperwork.

Also, file for Advance Parole when you file for change of status. If you need to leave the US while your application is still pending and your case worker has a bad day, they might consider it "abandoning the application". Advance Parole covers that eventuality.

If you have the K-1 visa, you're probably familiar enough with the USCIS to know the ground rules: Read the fine print, then read it again, always send letters with signature receipts, have copies of EVERYTHING, the best sign of progress is when the checks clear, have everything prepared and know that there will be a snafu somewhere.

(Viking? If you're in the Los Angeles Area, let me know. ALways happy to show a fellow Scandihooligan a watering hole or two. Oh, and some sights as well.)
Wow dude, thanks for the info, I'm still waiting for the interview, but we got confirmation that the visa application is processing. Don't expect any trouble though.

I'll be living in Dallas, TX as my Fiancé has a pretty sweet job there (And Univeristy of Texas, Dallas is covered by Norwegian financial education aid), but we're definitely going to go to LA on a road trip or two.

If you don't mind, I'd love to be able to shoot off a DM to you when time comes if I have any question, as a thanks I'll buy you a beer one time in one of those watering holes.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:15 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Why not just file for citizenship?
Second that. It will be so much easier when you don't have to deal with immigration EVER again.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:49 PM

Does USA allow dual citizenships? Any disadvantages to having that, if they do?

Old 05-19-2010, 04:50 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Does USA allow dual citizenships? Any disadvantages to having that, if they do?
Thorny subject. The US tolerates dual citizenship, but it's not specifically allowed - although as a Scandinavian you'd have to act in a more-than-normally stupid manner to run into a situation where it'd turn into a problem.

One disadvantage: Unlike most countries, the US will tax the income of US citizens living abroad, even if said citizens pay local taxes. (There's a cut-off level - I believe you're OK if you make less than $80K or so, but that's not exactly a huge income if you're living in, say, Paris.)

If you're in the Selective Service age bracket, you'll have to sign up.

And you'll lose the bullet-proof "not a citizen" excuse for not doing jury duty. (Just kidding. I'd have no problem doing that bit for a country that treats me this well.)

Old 05-19-2010, 09:51 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,650 times
move to san francisco..

Old 05-23-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Thorny subject. The US tolerates dual citizenship, but it's not specifically allowed - although as a Scandinavian you'd have to act in a more-than-normally stupid manner to run into a situation where it'd turn into a problem.

One disadvantage: Unlike most countries, the US will tax the income of US citizens living abroad, even if said citizens pay local taxes. (There's a cut-off level - I believe you're OK if you make less than $80K or so, but that's not exactly a huge income if you're living in, say, Paris.)

If you're in the Selective Service age bracket, you'll have to sign up.

And you'll lose the bullet-proof "not a citizen" excuse for not doing jury duty. (Just kidding. I'd have no problem doing that bit for a country that treats me this well.)
Thanks for the info again Dane.

I didn't know about the tax thing, I just figured two passports could come in handy... for some reason.

I have to sign up for selective service on the green card to, from what I read, but I'll only be in it for half a year or so, so it's not a big deal, unless WWIII breaks within that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration