Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 AM

85 posts, read 353,956 times

Advertisements

Is there any other way to travel to LA? Is going to Newark and to LA the best way? Appreciate if you could advise on the shortest possible way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 10:11 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Have you looked into taking Southwest Airlines from Philadelphia? Closer and usually cheaper then Newark. My daughter has flown to LAX from there a couple of times on Southwest. Best part about using Southwest is they do not charge for changes to your ticket. Southwest Airlines You need to go to their website directly, they don't show up if you use the regular search engines, like I mention next.

I usually go to a travel search engine like sidestep or orbitz and look at PHL, EWR and ABE airports to see what has the most convenient and cheapest flight and then look separately at Southwest.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:20 AM

205 posts, read 820,865 times
I've flown to LAX from ABE a few times using united, and have gotten some good deals. But I'll fly out of Philly (Usually US Air) if it's cheaper. But I park near my sister's place, and have her drive me to the airport there, to cut down on parking costs. If you're going to have bags, Southwest is probably the cheapest way to go. (Us Air and United charge $15/bag now)

Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 PM

242 posts, read 836,994 times
Default Phila airport

If you are going to fly out of philly I always suggest the Park-n-rides to the airport...most of the time they are cheaper and way more convenient then long term airport parking.

Jeff

Old 01-16-2009, 08:38 PM

Thanks a heap

How long is the flight? Are there things to do on board. I have 2 young kids with me

Old 01-16-2009, 09:22 PM

I think it's about a 6 hour flight. No,they won't have anything for your kids, you'll have to bring whatever you need to bring yourself. If they are old enough for gum, make sure you have that for take-off and landings or buy a water after you get through security so they will have something to drink.

I just remembered that you just flew here from Asia last fall, so you probably have a lot of long flight experience.

As far as parking at Philadelphia, we also always go for off site parking, usually at some place south of the airport. The last couple of times we've flown it's been around holidays so we made a reservation. I think we used fasttrack. Philadelphia Airport Parking Discount Coupons, Reservations and Long Term Airport Parking

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think it's about a 6 hour flight. No,they won't have anything for your kids, you'll have to bring whatever you need to bring yourself. If they are old enough for gum, make sure you have that for take-off and landings or buy a water after you get through security so they will have something to drink.

I just remembered that you just flew here from Asia last fall, so you probably have a lot of long flight experience.

As far as parking at Philadelphia, we also always go for off site parking, usually at some place south of the airport. The last couple of times we've flown it's been around holidays so we made a reservation. I think we used fasttrack. Philadelphia Airport Parking Discount Coupons, Reservations and Long Term Airport Parking
toobusytodayyou have great memory. Yes, we arrive last fall after a 18-hours flight But there were lots of food, games, movies....in flight.

Is there such a thing as biz class for domestic flight?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 AM

102 posts, read 453,548 times
I fly out of Newark and take a direct flight with Continental. I live in Williams Township so it is closer, faster, and an easier drive. The few times I flew out of Philadelphia I found the traffic conditions a little harder to judge.

And yes, there is a business class for domestic, but many times no first class (unlike international flights).

Flights to Asia are a pain. Hard to describe without actually experiencing it. I'm from Japan and my wife from China and have been travelling back and forth since we were young. We are 20 year veterans LOL.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:33 AM

We flew to China last April to visit our daughter, who was teaching there. I kind of liked that the flights were overnight - didn't seem quite so long, food was not bad. On a whim, I decided to choose a seafood diet as an option for two of us thinking that we would get shrimp and scallops but didn't realize that they considered tuna fish a seafood! Lesson learned.

We used to live within 20 minutes of the Philadelphia airport so I know that area pretty well. It's Newark that's usually my second choice, but if there's a good savings I'll certainly go there. The very best choice, of course, is Allentown and we will pick that one if it's only $25 or $30 more just for the convenience of it.

I don't think Southwest airlines has different classes.

Realtors, See This.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:10 AM

Thanks for all the advice

Anyone use US Air? How is it like? I was told from Philly to LA is just 4 hrs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley