Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 04:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Thanks for putting things in perspective.

Mild to me by my experience and definition is probably different than others.

My climate is tilted very heavily to winter (snow in April isn't rare at all) a very brief spring, a glorious summer and outstanding early fall. The weather where I am from june-mid october could arguably be some of the best in the country. But real genuine winter comes on very quickly in November and lasts till April/may. May is really our "spring"

I'm looking to tile things more towards the heat and summer to balance out a shorter more mild winter.

I'm willing to raise my avg monthly temps 5-10 degrees. More mild winter, but the address extra heat of summer.

Also where I live central air is not part of the lifestyle many houses don't have it and I'm 5 miles from lake Erie so it's humid in the summer. 85-90 with no central air is hot and muggy. So I know I'm getting into heat more but hopeful with more widespread air conditioning it will balance out and be more tolerable

But seriously you guys are giving awesome feedback. Thank you
We're also in a significant drought for most of this year, usually outside of any larger cities, the low temperatures in the summer will range from 60-72F. When you get into the urban areas of Louisville or western Kentucky the heat and humidity combination becomes much more intense in the summer- hope that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 05:23 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
We're also in a significant drought for most of this year, usually outside of any larger cities, the low temperatures in the summer will range from 60-72F. When you get into the urban areas of Louisville or western Kentucky the heat and humidity combination becomes much more intense in the summer- hope that makes sense.

It does.

What is the climate difference from the Lexington bluegrass area compared to say bowling green?

How noticeable of a difference is it?

Old 07-01-2022, 05:43 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
It does.

What is the climate difference from the Lexington bluegrass area compared to say bowling green?

How noticeable of a difference is it?
Here is a reference that shows the difference between the two areas:

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usky1079

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usky0721

The elevation of Lexington is 955 ft. and Bowling Green is at 548 ft. so Lexington is usually always cooler by default.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:23 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,291 times
Born and raised in KY and I never realized until I left KY just how miserable the weather was there. Take a hard look at further south even as far as Birmingham, AL. Look at the Mountain Brook area of Birmingham where the public schools are actually excellent. I miss KY but I don’t miss the grey skies all the time. Well except for a few weeks in the summer. Then folks complain about the humidity.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:13 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Born and raised in KY and I never realized until I left KY just how miserable the weather was there. Take a hard look at further south even as far as Birmingham, AL. Look at the Mountain Brook area of Birmingham where the public schools are actually excellent. I miss KY but I don’t miss the grey skies all the time. Well except for a few weeks in the summer. Then folks complain about the humidity.
I came from a place with relentless clear skies and heat. The occasional cloudy skies are a blessing to me. Cloud cover is certainly more prevalent in winter months but KY doesn't make the list of 10 cloudiest states so I do believe you could do much worse.
https://www.farmersalmanac.com/top-1...s-states-22480

Also, according to this, Louisville gets a total of 93 cloudless days per year. Birmingham gets a total of 99. That's hardly a noticeable difference.
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ne-by-city.php

Old 07-03-2022, 06:12 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,291 times
While interesting, that table to me doesn’t tell the whole picture. For example Dallas is listed with a very high number of sunny days, but the weather there is terrible compared to San Antonio in terms of cold and snow and ice. Just moved from San Antonio, and you couldn’t get me to move to Dallas.

Old 07-03-2022, 01:56 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
While interesting, that table to me doesn’t tell the whole picture. For example Dallas is listed with a very high number of sunny days, but the weather there is terrible compared to San Antonio in terms of cold and snow and ice. Just moved from San Antonio, and you couldn’t get me to move to Dallas.
It's not surprising but interesting how everyone has a different perspective about the weather. I've lived in CT, FL, CA, NV and now I'm in KY. KY is my happy retirement spot.
KY has the most varied weather and most evenly spaced seasons of the states I've lived in. Overall, I'd say it's most similar to CT but with a shorter winter and much less snow fall. It's certainly not boring weather and I truly enjoy the seasonal changes, including summer thunderstorms and some winter snow. This is in the NE portion of the state about 65 miles NE of Lexington, and about equal distance to the West Virginia border.

Your weather mileage will vary in the far west part of the state and southern parts. Most days and nights, the temps here are fairly close to those in Lexington. Louisville is almost consistently warmer than here, sometimes significantly.

Last edited by marino760; 07-03-2022 at 03:03 PM..

Old 07-03-2022, 09:47 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I came from a place with relentless clear skies and heat. The occasional cloudy skies are a blessing to me. Cloud cover is certainly more prevalent in winter months but KY doesn't make the list of 10 cloudiest states so I do believe you could do much worse.

Also, according to this, Louisville gets a total of 93 cloudless days per year. Birmingham gets a total of 99. That's hardly a noticeable difference.

For comparison this is what in dealing with

4. New York. New York has several climate factors that put it high on the list of cloudy states. The Great Lakes contribute, adding a few snow days each year. This state is also on a collision course with cold air masses coming out of the north and west. In addition, New York lies alongside the St. Lawrence Valley storm track. Cities like Binghamton and Buffalo, only see about 52 to 54 days of sunshine each year.

Old 07-04-2022, 10:33 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

"10. Connecticut. With climactic influences from the Great Lakes, ..."

I don't think that Connecticut and Great Lakes belong in the same sentence, but what do I know?

Old 07-04-2022, 11:45 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1987 View Post
Hey all!

Our family lives at the corner of Lakes Ontario and Erie. This makes for absolutely incredible summers, but also winters that commonly see months (plural) of no temps above freezing and over the years we’ve had times we’ve run out of places to put the snow (12 feet per year average). This combined with the financial and political troubles of living in NY (though in a culturally different, very rural area 360 miles from “the city”) has us searching for a new home and it’s VERY likely going to be Lexington. We don’t want to give up winter all together, and don’t want summers so hot that we don’t want to go outside, so Kentucky as a state seems perfect. Other than the slightly higher tornado risk.

That said, we spend our summers outside all the time. Our big thing is the lakes and the creek/small lake swimming holes. There is always cold, clear, critter-less water to get in. Strangely our Great Lakes have awesome beaches and we know we’re giving those up, but we’re really hoping to find many wilderness-type cold/cool clear water swimming attractions within an hour or so of Lexington.

Like we do here, we plan to live 25-30 out of downtown (out city is Rochester, it’s much smaller than Lexington and out town is tiny - Spencerport on the Erie canal)

So for a family that is all about hiking and being in water (clear not muddy and ideally cool) from lakes to brooks/waterfalls, what’s there that we would like?

Many thanks

Drew
Sorry, just wanted to correct one thing.

Rochester is the more populous and larger MSA, compared to Lexington. Metro Rochester is about twice the size of Lexington MSA. Lexington consolidated with the county some years ago giving the city itself a higher population count than the city of Rochester.

That said, I think Lexington has a brighter economic future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area