Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 06:54 AM

117 posts, read 182,882 times

Advertisements

Wow...thanks for sharing "InLondon"...your little smileycon scared me. lol

Old 08-09-2011, 06:48 PM

5 posts, read 11,325 times
-Where you are working? hopefully transferring with whole foods from Phoenix.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing not more than 550 a month.. i work in retail

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate 30 min max, unless i find somewhere amazing.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? no kids.. but looking to go to a community college myself then transfer to university

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? would love small town with a bit of excitement, but honestly, safe, clean, and affordable are more important.

-Community amenities important to you? good coffee shop and target? a nice town area within bike distance would be great..

-Pie or cake? pie

Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 6,024 times
Default Nicholasville ky

I am retired and may have to move soon if my home is sold and would like a small town atmosphere. Does Nicholasville fit that? Are there any areas with higher crime than others? I have an older dog and a college age son and am looking for a ranch house but must have a basement and attached garage and not a garage in the basement. I haven't been able to find anything on realtor sites. I would prefer one that is being sold by the owner but that's not necessary. On bigbrick and Craigslist there isn't any listed for Nicholasville. Are there any other sites that list homes being sold by owner? Any suggestions. I may be coming in the area end of Jan to check out things. I would be looking up to $130,000 and preferably rent to own for one year just to make sure I like the area. I also don't want a house in a development where the houses are so close you can hear the neighbors tv and look out your window into their living room. I know I am asking for a tall order but I need to like where I live. Even any area that is within 15 minutes of Nicholasville I would consider

Old 01-09-2012, 05:38 PM

146 posts, read 298,212 times
You might try looking in Northern Garrard County. It's a hop, skip and a jump to Nicholasville...in fact that's where we do our shopping. It's also 4 lane all the way to Lexington so it's less than a 30 minute drive to the big city. Prices are good too! It's actually a Lancaster mailing address but 10+ miles north of the courthouse square, so other than drivers license and courthouse affairs...we do it all in Nicholasville or Lexington. If you look on a map, Northern Garrard County is in the Bryantsville area. Good schools, golf, fishing, etc. We love it and would highly recommend Northern Garrard County vs. Nicholasville.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Sarg, Wilmore might fit your needs, but it is a very small town, like Mayberry small, but it's a cute little town in Jessamine, not far from Nicholasville or Lexington.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,698 times
Post Lexington KY queries

Hello Lexingtonians - I hope I'm doing this right, as it's my first foray into this kind of site. I am a single senior looking to move to Lexington in the next couple months (all depending on the housing market here in northern CA). I did come to explore KY/TN last fall, and was really pleased with Lexington. I was born in Washington DC, so I'm somewhat familiar with the mid-Atlantic weather. I will be on a limited housing budget (under $70,000), but want a single family house in a "grandma safe" neighborhood with enough house-space for company as well as second-career room (writing/crafts). I have been working online with a realtor since my visit, so I have gotten some good leads. The biggest question is the neighborhoods. I did look up a city crime site, which was helpful to a degree, but it seems all areas generally speaking (can/do) have problems. Another matter for me, if I move before finding the "perfect" house, I will need to rent something for a time (ideally with at least 2 b.r. for storage), not over $500/mo. Is this realistic? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Senior Poet

Old 10-02-2012, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 5,642 times
OK, we have moved to Lexington. looked for 5 weeks before moving from a large farm house on a very large farm in Carroll county, Ky. our primary reason to move was a better life for our children and us. Carrollton schools, one district, is over rated at a 2.3. while Lexington is rated well at 6.7 as of right now. kids love it here. sidewalks, concrete, everything and more close, neighbors who have kids with mothers not married to their grandpaws, etc. I was not one of them I was told!
We consider ourselves smart to leave all that for good. my wife loves sports and bleeds blue. I love the arts and dancing. our kids are adjusting quickly.
We have no family support here and thats not a bad thing. The schools mentioned we try locating a babysitter/nanny from UK but no calls yet. still looking and in need. we both still commute from Shelbyville. drive about the same time. Looking for jobs here in Lexington. I am in Management working for a Japanese owned company and my wife is Director of Housekeeping in a large rehab center. We are Both very good at what we do, Hint.
We hope finally to be part a social group as time allows. Hey we're here and Love Lexington and it's residence. Responce most welcomed.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:22 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,263 times
latenight, welcome to KY!! However you might try posting in the KY or even the Lexington sections, as not a lot of regulars read this newcomer thread.
How fortunate for you to have found a farm here in just 5 weeks! We looked for 2 years!!
I'm sure you will find your niches in Lex and enjoy all that KY has to offer as time goes on. Best of luck to you!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Seniorpoet, while Lexington would suit you well in many ways and you'd find much of interest here, your budget is very low for most housing of the kind you describe that would be in desirable neighborhoods. Would you consider a roommate to help with expenses? Renting would be less costly than purchasing, but I doubt very much if you could find a nice two-bedroom apartment or rental house for $500, unless you're willing to apply for assistance and look into subsidized housing, which might or might not be helpful for you.

Years ago, when I moved back to Lexington (my hometown) from much, much larger Cincinnati, I was quite surprised to find that rents were much higher here and purchased considerably less than I'd had in Cincy...unfortunately, that's still the situation in Lexington. We have lots of apartments, and you'd think that would help control rent - but it doesn't appear to do so.

Good luck to you in finding a nice, affordable place.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:12 PM

29 posts, read 50,462 times
Hi! I am also interested in moving my family and I to Lexington. Just want to know how the public transportation is up there? I am applying for a PO position. We would be moving from Hawaii and have no idea about the mainland at all! Would it be possible to find a home close to the PO and a public elementary as well? Im ready to move off this rock!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area