Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 PM

22 posts, read 56,994 times

Advertisements

-Where you are working: (Nicholasville, Dewey Drive)
-How much you are willing to spend on housing ($500-$700)
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate (up to 30 minutes)
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? (We don't have any yet)
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? (Small town feeling to no-town feeling... very rural setting desired due to that we have 4 outside dogs)
-Community amenities important to you (Basically, we're going to be 1/2 hour from Nicholasville and everything we need is basically there)
-Pie or cake? (I like either, thanks)

Okay, so basically, we'd like to have at least a 2 bedroom but preferably a 3 bedroom (we plan on starting a family, and also we will have family members visiting occasionally). We are relocating from Southwestern Pennsylvania because my husband found a job in Nicholasville. We are used to living in a farmhouse out in the country and would like to do that again, but we don't need horse pasture or anything like that. We have four (outside) dogs in pens with runs above ground. But they are beagles, and while they're not barking all the time or anything, they DO bark occasionally.

As far as house amenities go, I would like to have a kitchen with at least a little cabinet and countertop space (more than just on either side of the sink). Ideally, the kitchen would have a dishwasher (although that's not a necessity, just a plus.) I would like to have a regular-size tub or garden tub (or if it's just a shower and there's a hot tub on the property, that will do nicely.) I would also like to have a bathroom cabinet and/or closet AND a closet in the bedrooms. Gas heat is a plus, and I'm guessing it gets hot there, so air conditioning would also be a plus.

Schools are not a big deal right now... by 5 1/2 years from now, we'll probably own something ourselves anyhow. (I am not even pregnant yet).

Hope that answers all the questions. If there are any more, send them my way. I appreciate your help very much. For as rural as Lexington is (outskirts), I'm having a hard time locating any rural homes on Craigslist or elsewhere. Help is much appreciated!!!

Last edited by MrsMcCoy28; 03-04-2009 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: To clarify sentence about dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 04:13 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,514,729 times
The most affordable areas would be south of KY 169 - parts of northern Garrard County might also be worth a look. There are some nice smaller farmhouses dating to the Civil War era around Keene & Troy, the High Bridge area is also very scenic

Old 03-05-2009, 03:33 PM

Thank you! It is so hard to try to find places when you don't know much about an area and you're several hundred miles away! I will have to see if I can find their newspapers online and check out the listings.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:03 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,514,729 times
I'm looking to move into a rental in Jessamine County within 6 months (since I just got a job there) and it's pretty hard to find online listings. I found several in Wilmore for very good rates, either rural mobile homes or apartments in older buildings for $400 month for a 2 bdr.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:23 PM

Yeah, a mobile home wouldn't be bad as long as it had property... but with 4 dogs, we couldn't live in an apartment.

You are right about listings online. There aren't many at all. I've been looking on the online paper classifieds... but I have to mapquest everything and that sucks! Oh well!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:19 PM

Ugh my house fell through. Owner decided they would rather sell than rent.

Any other ideas for finding a place?

I really wish people wouldn't bother to respond to ads unless they're sincere. Ugh... starting over. (not on this forum... on Craigslist...)

Edited: to show that the blame doesn't belong on this forum...

Old 03-11-2009, 10:17 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,126,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcCoy28 View Post
-Where you are working: (Nicholasville, Dewey Drive)
-How much you are willing to spend on housing ($500-$700)
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate (up to 30 minutes)
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? (We don't have any yet)
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? (Small town feeling to no-town feeling... very rural setting desired due to that we have 4 outside dogs)
-Community amenities important to you (Basically, we're going to be 1/2 hour from Nicholasville and everything we need is basically there)
-Pie or cake? (I like either, thanks)

Okay, so basically, we'd like to have at least a 2 bedroom but preferably a 3 bedroom (we plan on starting a family, and also we will have family members visiting occasionally). We are relocating from Southwestern Pennsylvania because my husband found a job in Nicholasville. We are used to living in a farmhouse out in the country and would like to do that again, but we don't need horse pasture or anything like that. We have four (outside) dogs in pens with runs above ground. But they are beagles, and while they're not barking all the time or anything, they DO bark occasionally.

As far as house amenities go, I would like to have a kitchen with at least a little cabinet and countertop space (more than just on either side of the sink). Ideally, the kitchen would have a dishwasher (although that's not a necessity, just a plus.) I would like to have a regular-size tub or garden tub (or if it's just a shower and there's a hot tub on the property, that will do nicely.) I would also like to have a bathroom cabinet and/or closet AND a closet in the bedrooms. Gas heat is a plus, and I'm guessing it gets hot there, so air conditioning would also be a plus.

Schools are not a big deal right now... by 5 1/2 years from now, we'll probably own something ourselves anyhow. (I am not even pregnant yet).

Hope that answers all the questions. If there are any more, send them my way. I appreciate your help very much. For as rural as Lexington is (outskirts), I'm having a hard time locating any rural homes on Craigslist or elsewhere. Help is much appreciated!!!
i just saw some pretty nice ones on craigslist this morning and with reasonable rent too . You might want to look on there and then contact a few realtors who do rentals too they might be able to help you . thanks and let me know if I can be of further help .

Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 PM

Thank you. A question... what can I expect as "reasonable rent"? I have been told $700 is reasonable, which is somewhat of a sticker shock for us. We are renting a farmhouse here for $300. And while that's even cheap for here, and we were expecting to pay $550 or more, we really weren't expecting $700.

I type in property management and get a lot of hits on Google, but I have contacted some realtors and they have said that they don't work with rentals. I don't know what to do. There is one prop. mgmt. company in a book we picked up while in Lex a few weekends ago. I do need to contact them.

I am getting frustrated... I think I need to take a step back from the housing thing but I'm always afraid of missing something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area