Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:49 PM

83 posts, read 220,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2ky View Post
This may sound a little pathetic...but I am finally here in LExington, all settled into our new home! I love it, and so far love the town, and especially the WEATHER! (compared to back at home in Houston where it's 110 with the heat index right now!)
Hope you know what's in store for you this winter. Um, as far as meeting people, you might try Keeneland too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 03:04 PM

844 posts, read 2,102,403 times
Well, hopefully no more ice storms for at least 5 years

Old 08-03-2009, 09:01 PM

83 posts, read 220,066 times
Well that would be nice, but I swear it seems like they've become a yearly occurrence. Nothing like waking up at your usual time and then discovering that Mother Nature deposited a solid 2 inches of ice over your entire car, and then for the next 30 minutes frantically hacking and scraping away at the ice just so you can get your car door open and get yourself to work/school on time... if you can even make it out of the driveway. And then when you get home, how fun is it to hit the light switch and nothing happens because evidently a tree branch weighted down with ice shorted out the powerline? I always enjoyed a power outage on a beautiful 0 degree day. Then again, a blackout is no picnic on a summer day in Phoenix either. Thank God for generators.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:04 AM

141 posts, read 545,591 times
Default cold.....

Ok...now yall are scaring me!! The winter is the ONE thing i've been dreading about moving here! I actually have no idea what I'm in for but I do know that I love my Houston winters...avg temps in the 50's, gets down to 40's every once in a while, but somehow always seems to creep back up to 60's or even 70's a few days later. I love heat and hate the cold...so this should be interesting!!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:40 AM

Sounds familiar. I left So Cal's 50 degree winters to live here. I was told it snows "every once in a while, but not enough to accumulate". Imagine my surprise!!! But you find ways to cope. Watch a lot of movies on the couch, drink a lot of bourbon.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 PM

508 posts, read 1,513,381 times
Well, I used to live in NY and Northern Chicago burbs so to me, Lexington's winter is nothing. Guess it is all relative to your previous experiences.

Personally, I think Spring and Fall (distinct 4 season climate) make the other 2 bearable.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:24 AM

One thing to consider (if you're moving from a warmer climate) - leather coats are kinda useless here. When it's cold enough to need a jacket, it's also usually wet. I had to change my buying habits for winters here. In So Cal I looked forward to breaking out the leather at night & winter... but here, not so much

Old 08-06-2009, 10:57 AM

37 posts, read 93,084 times
We're moving to Lexington next week -- my husband is a native Floridian, and I've lived in Florida for 10 years...so we are totally unprepared for the winter. I hope we survive.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:02 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Okay, for you newbies, why not spend some time exploring not just Lexington (though that's a great place to start) but the surrounding area? See what's there, check it out - Berea, Danville, Frankfort, Shakertown, Harrodsburg, other nearby towns, the Red River Gorge, Cave Run Lake...and Cumberland Falls, Mammoth Cave, Louisville and Cincinnati are just two hours away. Visit local historic sites, museums, learn about where you are and how it came to be. Ask questions. Read. Explore. See if there are special interest groups or tour groups or perhaps volunteer groups that help support these treasures. You'll have a better feel (and appreciation) for where you are and bring more to the table when meeting others here.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:12 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
As for winter, this isn't the arctic (though last winter's ice storm did bear some resemblance!) Get yourselves good warm coats, sweaters and scarves to layer underneath, gloves, maybe a couple of pairs of longjohns (wear them one pair at a time!), kneesocks and boots - and you'll do just fine. An electric blanket's not a bad notion, either, nor are hot tea or hot chocolate.

Seriously, it's rare for winters to be too severe here, though it will be distinctly winter most years. But it's not unusual to have a January day with highs in the mid-fifties, either. Not the norm - but not that strange. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Our all-time record low was minus 22F, back in the early 1960s. Most years, a few degrees below zero may set the annual low record, typically just before dawn in January, when snow has been on the ground long enough to provide extra refrigeration. Such frigid days usually see highs around 10-15. It doesn't last long, usually, and highs around 25-35 are more typical for January. It gradually warms up after that and crocus start to bloom by late February or early March most years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area