Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 8,939 times

Advertisements

My husband has an offer to move to Little Rock, AR. We are expecting a baby soon and wanted to know if it a good decision in terms of safety (have heard crime rate is high) and racism. Also wanted to know what are the safest areas to live if he will be working at the University hospital, something not too far and safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 09:32 PM

4 posts, read 14,236 times
Hi Sunshine22

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowedOverall, it is higher than the national average. The website I mentioned is an excellent source to compare cities in a number of different areas of interest or concern. Since safety seems to be your top priority, there are good home security firms here that could give you peace of mind. There are also some very nice neighborhoods within the University Hospital commute area.

As a lifelong resident of Little Rock, I'm heartily sick of hearing about the "Central High Crisis" - that was 60 yrs ago!! I'd like to think we've moved on from that. But racism is in the eye of the beholder - I'm surprised you'd ask such a subjective question, because the response would depend on the person answering. Is it because Little Rock is in the South?

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 06:41 AM..

Old 04-24-2007, 08:43 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,466,117 times
Default West Little Rock

To be quite honest, we just moved from Little Rock and were happy to do so but that is just my opinion. The crime rate was relatively low, but it was just too "small town" for us. Anyway, to answer your question I think West Little Rock is probably the nicest part of town and probably the quickest commute to where your husband will be working. There is always the Sherwood/North Little Rock area which is a little cheaper but I know it's a bit of a longer commute. Sherwood has an extremely low crime rate. Don't even think about drinking and driving in that town! The thing we were disappointed in was the lack of what we considered good restaurants. The locals don't seem to know what good food is, but maybe I just grew up with a different mindset as well. All in all, we were happy to leave but it was a comfortable place, and easy to live.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 8,939 times
Hi,
Thanks for the opinion. We feel exactly the same way. We live in Miami, FL and are used to big city life, love live music and good food. We also have an offer in Lexington, KY which seems to be a more lively and nicer place, but are unable to decide. Do you have any idea about Lexington, Kentucky? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 10,472 times
Default not bad area

I was reading your post. both area's are nice I have been to both locations. what are you looking for exactly? Lexington is laid back and easy going, very country much different from arkansas. Sherwood AR is ok, it is local to shops and stores, but there isnt alot to do there. if you like nite life then u will have to go to little rock. hope this helps...if you need more info just write back and ask. good luck

Old 06-17-2007, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,252 times
Default Go to Kentucky!

I have lived in Arkansas most of my life and would highly encourage you to go to Kentucky, especially if you are raising a family. I'm sure the crime rates do not even compare.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:07 PM

369 posts, read 1,303,475 times
Since your husband will be working at University, I would recommend parts of west Little Rock west of I430. Also you could try Maumelle which is across the river from west Little Rock but isn't much further from University than parts of west Little Rock. If you aren't satisfed with those two areas, you should check on Saline County, particularly Benton and Bryant which is about 15-25 minutes from that hospital. I do not know how long he is willing to commute to work, but you could check on areas on the northside (North Little Rock/Sherwood/Jacksonville/Cabot) but the rush hour traffic is terrible up that way. I would only recommend those areas if he worked downtown. Hope that helped some.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:12 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,319,208 times
Hillcrest is a great neighborhood, and it's very close to UAMS.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:56 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,281,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine22 View Post
My husband has an offer to move to Little Rock, AR. We are expecting a baby soon and wanted to know if it a good decision in terms of safety (have heard crime rate is high) and racism. Also wanted to know what are the safest areas to live if he will be working at the University hospital, something not too far and safe.
I wouldn't fight the traffic from Sherwood or Maumelle - you're right next door to Hillcrest and the lower Heights, Capitol View, and the areas people are seeking out. The cost of housing in those areas is higher, but there's a massive influx of people moving toward I-630, too, and refurbishing those homes....it's a great time to pick up a bargain on a house there. If you want a really traditional neighborhood, go over to Leawood...it's a little further west, but close enough to UAMS that it's a relatively easy commute.

You don't mention what amenities or price range you are looking for in a neighborhood.

Regarding the crime stats - let me interject here that there is no "fudging" on the stats - this is the number of crimes REPORTED, not prosecuted or even filed on. You cannot expect LRPD to do ANYTHING about low-lifes that want to kill each other off, and if you look at the demographic stats, it's all in the same neighborhoods, involving the same people, over and over and over. Many cities that report on their stats only mention cases ever filed on, but there's a lot of crap that gets reported that either the prosecuting attorney won't take on because it's so hinky, or it's a "he said, she said" thing. That's one reason Little Rock looks so high - they report like they are supposed to.

Don't believe everything you read.....and do visit the downtown area, which is wonderful and fun and has had so much growth in the last 10 years.

Don't know a thing about Lexington, but good luck on your choice!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
good luck and remember when it comes to crime, etc you will get this anywhere. Certainly Miami isn't the best place in the world to raise kids. I don't know much about Lexington but no matter where you decide your choice is what you make of it. Every city has nice, quiet areas with good schools and good communities. Every city has problems as well. Whether you choose KY or AR living anywhere near the University working there will give you the best exposure possible. As for food, culture, etc. both Ar and Ky will be a totally new culture for you. The food will be different as will the people and the mindset. Accept it for what it is and will be, a new experience in life.

NMNita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area