Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:39 AM

111 posts, read 504,240 times

Advertisements

"...to be blunt, don't ride around... looking for dope and/or prostitutes..."

That's darn good advice wherever you go!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 10:24 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I don't get it...
They are being facetious because I said Little Rock basically has no urban culture (which is the truth), so they got mad. Louisville is KILLING Little Rock in urban hipster culture. And while we are at it, strumpeace, Memphis lacks it in comparison too!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:52 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
They are being facetious because I said Little Rock basically has no urban culture (which is the truth), so they got mad. Louisville is KILLING Little Rock in urban hipster culture. And while we are at it, strumpeace, Memphis lacks it in comparison too!
Mad?

Comical is more like it.

It's hard to take anyone who intentionally labels himself an 'urban hipster' seriously enough to get mad.

Maybe one day, though, we'll grow to the 250,000 person metropolis that Louisville is -- complete with sushi bars and plenty of hipsters.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 AM

837 posts, read 2,249,354 times
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, it should be handed over to the gangs, walled up and the Capital be moved to Bryant, where most of the decent people from Little Rock seem to be moving these days.
O REALLY

Saline County is the most corrupt place in Arkansas. you couldn't BEG me to live there.

and I live a block off of Roosevelt, grew up a block off of Baseline, and I'm PERFECTLY decent, thank you.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Mad?

Comical is more like it.

It's hard to take anyone who intentionally labels himself an 'urban hipster' seriously enough to get mad.

Maybe one day, though, we'll grow to the 250,000 person metropolis that Louisville is -- complete with sushi bars and plenty of hipsters.
I honestly don't think Little Rock will ever have the kind of "urban vibe" places like Louisville and the likes have. Population matters but it isn't everything. Little Rock and Louisville are completely different kinds of towns. Little Rock is very old-South, traditional, conservative, slow-paced, while Louisville is new-South mixed with eastern and Midwestern and is younger and much faster paced, much like a smaller Atlanta. Little Rock is more like a smaller (but more scenic) Tulsa or Oklahoma City. All of the smaller cities in this region suffer from brain drain to Dallas/Ft Worth.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:30 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I honestly don't think Little Rock will ever have the kind of "urban vibe" places like Louisville and the likes have.
Exactly.

After two threads and ten or twelve pages of posts, somebody finally got it.

Don't come to LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS expecting 'urban vibe'. We don't have it. Why anyone with any sense would think we would have that is beyond me. It's a small city in a rural state, for goodness' sake. Go out to Cheyenne or Butte or Wichita (also small cities in rural states) and tell them they're not 'urban hipster' enough for you.

(BTW, I've been to Louisville many times. I lived for several years in Campbellsville and spent many of my weekends in Louisville. It's a lovely enough town, but it's pretty dull, too. People have been fleeing the city in unprecedented numbers over the last few decades.)

Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Exactly.

After two threads and ten or twelve pages of posts, somebody finally got it.

Don't come to LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS expecting 'urban vibe'. We don't have it. Why anyone with any sense would think we would have that is beyond me. It's a small city in a rural state, for goodness' sake. Go out to Cheyenne or Butte or Wichita (also small cities in rural states) and tell them they're not 'urban hipster' enough for you.

(BTW, I've been to Louisville many times. I lived for several years in Campbellsville and spent many of my weekends in Louisville. It's a lovely enough town, but it's pretty dull, too. People have been fleeing the city in unprecedented numbers over the last few decades.)
It's true that Little Rock will never be a Louisville, but there is no reason it couldn't be a Des Moines. Des Moines is roughly the same size as Little Rock and also in a rural state, but has been much more forward thinking and as a result is decades ahead and has an overall positive perception.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
It's true that Little Rock will never be a Louisville, but there is no reason it couldn't be a Des Moines. Des Moines is roughly the same size as Little Rock and also in a rural state, but has been much more forward thinking and as a result is decades ahead and has an overall positive perception.
Why would Little Rock want to be a Des Moines? The overall positive perception has more to do with Des Moines being in Iowa, than in the qualities of the city. Little Rock is a Southern city. In a rural state. With a mixed political history and composition. Rather than asking Little Rock to try to be more like Des Moines, residents should be asking Little Rock to be a better Little Rock.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:09 AM

37 posts, read 127,070 times
Quote:
Yeah, but there is a slight problem. Des Moines is the same size as Little Rock, but it had only 6 murders in 2006, and 4 in 2007. Little Rock had 56 in '06 and 51 in '07. Little Rock will never be anything like it could be unless it's crime crime comes down. Little Rock has as many murders per year as Boston, with has 3 times the pop.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth777 View Post
Yeah, but there is a slight problem. Des Moines is the same size as Little Rock, but it had only 6 murders in 2006, and 4 in 2007. Little Rock had 56 in '06 and 51 in '07. Little Rock will never be anything like it could be unless it's crime crime comes down. Little Rock has as many murders per year as Boston, with has 3 times the pop.
Agree. Little Rock's high crime rate is a cancer. If the crime comes down and people are no longer afraid to go into the city, we might be able to support more cultural attractions, have greater economic development leading to a more vibrant nightlife, get the sprawl under control, FINALLY get some good retail in here, etc. Most of my friends are very afraid to go east of I-430, and I can imagine they aren't the only ones. Its sad that places like Chilis and TGI Fridays are more hoppin' on weekend nights than the River Market is. While we can say things like "the crime is localized, people are afraid of nothing" until the cows come home, statistics don't lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area