Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:32 PM

383 posts, read 1,590,304 times

Advertisements

I just heard a lot of bad things about London - I mean racism, crime, strange people, crazy traffic, absolutely terribly expensive....
I'm preparing for studying there (probably) and I'm a bit afraid of that... Thanks for answers.

Does anybody really love London?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 02:33 PM

267 posts, read 1,287,595 times
London is like any major city - there's some great area's, plenty to do 24/7 and plenty of different cultures. But also there's area's best avoided and obviously taking care when traveling alone at night (but this is like anywhere else in a world city).
Be sensible and you'll be safe.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:46 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." — Samuel Johnson

London is so huge it's difficult to generalise. There are things in common across the city - like traffic & public transport issues, but London is really made up of dozens of little areas joined together under the big umbrella of London. It changes drastically from one side to another.

I was born and brought up there so I love it - I love the tiny alleys, the wide streets and the architecture, the parks, the views of the river, the beautiful (free) galleries and museums and the REAL London characters.

The main, old centre itself however is not so massive. I go back every so often and spend a whole day walking around and across the city, and it never fails to inspire awe and affection.

However - now I only go on Sundays or bank holidays as the crowds and traffic can be just too much - and you can't see the place properly when it is so busy.

It certainly has its problems and troubles, but that is the condition of any huge international metropolis.

I lived in Greenwich for many years, and would love to live there again one day.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:50 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,663 times
There wasn`t really anything else to say after this..

Home secretary Jacqui Smith scared of walking London alone - Times Online

Old 03-25-2008, 03:08 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
There wasn`t really anything else to say after this..

Home secretary Jacqui Smith scared of walking London alone - Times Online
O well if Jacqui says something it must be taken as gospel!

Or maybe it's those Oxford student days' spliff sessions - bit of the cannabis-related paranoia setting in!!!!

Old 03-25-2008, 03:11 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post

Does anybody really love London?
Yes absolutely!! I really miss it actually. Do you know where you will be living? I think that makes a big difference of course. We now live in the States, but have friends in Hampstead, Greenwich, Islington and Docklands Canary Wharf area and stay with them when we are in the UK.

I would love to live in Hampstead which is like a village in the city, but extremely expensive. Lots of celebrities, but very laid back. No pretention. LOVE it!

Oxford Circus for shopping is just a bit hectic. Avoid like the plague on weekends or holidays! During weekdays it is better.

The West side of London is generally 'better' than the East side, I think a lot of that is because the East End got very badly bombed during the second World War and was rebuilt when the UK wasn't at its richest. So the more beautiful old buildings tend to be from the Tower Hill area and West.

You will love it I am sure - enjoy your time there and don't worry!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:09 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
The city of London is great at weekends as it is nearly deserted. When i say city i mean "the square mile" which is the original London within the Original London wall. The "west end" of London is where all the nightlife and big shops are. Regent street, Oxford street, Marble arch etc. London is very "dog eat dog" It is the place of the quick or the dead. That is probably why so many people hate London. It is fast paced and varied in culture.
You must always be on your guard in London and keep valuables out of sight and bags close to you, even when walking. It is a great place to visit but not really a great place to live anymore. I was born and bred in London and it is so sad to see what it has become.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:14 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Or maybe it's those Oxford student days' spliff sessions - bit of the cannabis-related paranoia setting in!!!!
Damn, I can't rep you! Funny

I spent a year and a half living in London during the week and whilst it was tiring because of the travel and long hours culture, I really missed it when I stopped and started working here again - I found the pace back home stagnant and uninspiring.

The variety of shops in London and sheer quantity of things you can go and see are unbeatable anywhere else in the country. I loved just being able to jump on a tube and have a wander round a different area.

Yes there are areas to avoid, but it's not difficult to figure out. If you get out of a tube station and it doesn't feel right, get back on another train

Old 03-26-2008, 04:33 PM

6 posts, read 19,215 times
I have enjoyed living here when I was a child, because back then, I personally fought crime was not as bad as it is now, but my opinion has changed, greatly.

So to conclude, I liked it back then, but I don't like it now.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:09 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
i love london, no matter how many times i go there is always something else to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London