Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 03:57 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
Those are some good points. London is a real city where you don't need to own a car. Los Angeles is a collection of adjacent suburbs where you absolutely need a car. Also London is a lot more cosmopolitan than Los Angeles. From what I have heard it is impossible to find high quality authentic Mexican food in London. If this is no longer true please let me know.

Are there any other major differences are there between Los Angeles and London?

Yeh Mexican food is not a big thing here, but there are a few Mexican restaurants around. There is a great one in Windsor.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:01 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Yeh Mexican food is not a big thing here, but there are a few Mexican restaurants around. There is a great one in Windsor.
There are some dreadful cheap chain ones around too. We've got a couple here - one good one, one bad one (oh actually no, that closed.) We've got one good one! Mmm enchiladas....

Old 05-02-2008, 07:42 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Give me LA anytime.
I would choose LA not only over London, but over ANY European city.
In which European metropolis is it possible to start the day working in a CBD and then finish it taking a dip in the ocean ? None! (Barcelona is the nearest thing, but it's a "small" city).

Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 PM

342 posts, read 1,927,048 times
Yes but in London/Europe you can hop on a plane Friday evening and fly to an infinite variety of places and cultures in less than 2-3 hours. You can have unlimited options - art, culture, history, mountains, beaches, countryside - it is all right there. LA/US is fairly limited in comparison for diversity of feasible weekend getaways.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:12 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
What are the advantages and disadvantages of living in London/UK versus Los Angeles/Southern California?

I live in Southern California on the coast south of Los Angeles. I am considering some job opportunities in London. I have been to London twice but only for a couple days.

Below are some of the pros and cons as I understand them. Please add to this list the pros and cons of these two areas as you see them.

I am single, no kids, work in investment management, and love traveling. Thanks.

London/UK

Pros
* Financial capital of the world
* Incredible job opportunities (at least for financial services)
* Excellent proximity to the rest of Europe
* History, culture, character
* Cool British people
* Good public transportation

Cons
* Weather
* Cost of living
* Overpriced, low quality restaurants
* Flat, lacks natural beauty (at least right in London as I recall)

What other pros and cons would you add to these lists?
Can't add to the LA part, because I have only visited there and never lived there.

London is great - I actually think it's a beautiful city and England as a whole has GORGEOUS areas all over the place, so you won't have to go far for natural beauty.

If you want gorgeous countryside try the Cotwolds, The Wye Vally/ Forst of Dean/ the Lake District/ Scotland/ Devon/ Cornwall - all these areas have scenery to die for and I've probably left off lots!
Even some of the coutryside around London is lovely - go to Windsor and get out into some of the small villages for a pub lunch. Good, inexpensive food in a delightful setting.

I also disagree on the 'bad restaurants'. London has amazing restaurants - some of the best in the world, but expensive, sure - comparable to NYC.
You've already got good tips from other people on Indian from Brick Lane, and Chinese from China Town, etc.

I think you may struggle with the weather though. Especially if you're a beach bunny, you will have to fly out on weekends to Spain, etc to get the beach.
That's one of the best parts of being in London - easy, inexpensive and very short trips to Europe. You can go almost anywhere for a long weekend which is just wonderful!! That's what we miss the most now that we've moved to the US - everywhere except Mexcio and Canada is so far away!

If you can handle the weather, then I think you will love it!

Old 05-12-2008, 02:48 PM

92 posts, read 321,691 times
best place in London on a warm sunny day is hampstead heath...it is amazing!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:44 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,671 times
Los Angeles is crime ridden and completely dilapidated and underdeveloped as a city. Do they even have any funds? Anyone who's ever been to hollywood will tell you what a [edited for language] it is. For god's sake if you ride subway you'll see shantytowns outside your window as you continue on your trip. It's really only good for it's entertainment industry.

Last edited by WoodwardGirl; 05-13-2008 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Keeping it PG

Old 05-13-2008, 12:25 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,663 times
Give these a miss if easily offended...Not for the fainthearted..

Los Angeles, California - Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia

London - Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia

Old 05-13-2008, 12:45 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Los Angeles is crime ridden and completely dilapidated and underdeveloped as a city. Do they even have any funds? Anyone who's ever been to hollywood will tell you what a [edited for language] it is. For god's sake if you ride subway you'll see shantytowns outside your window as you continue on your trip. It's really only good for it's entertainment industry.
The crime rate in L.A. is actually less than some other large cities.

Last edited by WoodwardGirl; 05-13-2008 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Keeping it PG

Old 05-15-2008, 02:23 PM

161 posts, read 474,412 times
Of course as a Londoner I am biased, but really, to say that London lacks beauty compared to LA is pushing it a bit!

LA is really a group of sprawling suburbs - how can you possibly say that is beautiful compared to London along the Thames, say? Wordsworth got it right - ''Earth hath not anything to show more fair.'

Oh, and there are around 600 murders in LA per year - there are about 85 in London, and most of those are lowlifes in areas you won't be going near.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London