Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 04:42 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

Just the usual bit of the old ultra-violence.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1798514.html

Quote:
One man has died in a night of violence in south London, the Metropolitan Police said on Friday night.

Officers were called to five reports of stabbings in the Croydon area between 6.56pm and 9.12pm on Friday, and 10 men have been injured, as well as one who died at the scene.

Two have been left fighting for their lives and two more people have been arrested.
London crime: Atrocious weekend of violence sees 3 teens stabbed, 'acid' attack and a further victim knifed

Quote:
Violence in London showed no let up this weekend as more lives were turned upside down following brutal attacks in different parts of the capital.

From the information made available by the Met Police there were four stabbings recorded in London, two of the victims were just 15 years of age and another was 16.

The 16-year-old victim was also subjected to an "acid" attack after he was also found with facial injuries believed to have been caused by a noxious substance.

The fourth stab victim is thought to be in his 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 06:24 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Knives and acid should be banned. No need of the public to have these items. The US has no way near the acid attacks that GB .has. I would never again travel to GB because of this.sarcasm.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:38 PM

61,701 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Knives and acid should be banned. No need of the public to have these items. The US has no way near the acid attacks that GB .has. I would never again travel to GB because of this.sarcasm.
That would be impossible to accomplish.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:45 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times
How would I chop my vegetables?

Old 02-06-2021, 11:05 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
Quote:
Knives and acid should be banned. No need of the public to have these items. The US has no way near the acid attacks that GB .has. I would never again travel to GB because of this.

that's because we have guns

Old 02-11-2021, 05:42 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,169 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
The law now places a lot of restrictions on both knives and acid, and London has been hiring more police officers and investing in law enforcement.

In terms of large cities of over 9 million, London is fairly safe with only around 140 murders per year.

There are three main police forces in London, the Metropolitan Police (33,000 officers), City of London Police (800 Officers) and British Transport police (3,080 - of which nearly two thirds are based in the London area). So you are talking around 35,500 Full time police officers, whilst on top of this you have several thousand Special Constables (Reserves) and Police Community Support Officers who usually work in neighbourhood teams. You also have national agencies such as the National Crime Agency which investigates serious and organised crime.

There are plans for further increases in police numbers over coming years, and the police operate knife arches and other pro-active anti knife devices, whilst London has also set up Violence Reduction Units based on successful units in Scotland.

However there are very few major US cities that are anywhere near as safe as London.

It also should be noted that London was far more violent throughout it's history than in it is to day, indeed today the city is extremely safe in comparison, and this includes Victorian times and London after WW2 when a bombed out city was home to maraundering gangs.

Today the city has lots of police and CCTV coverage, especially in central London, whilst many of the incidents that the OP mentions happened in areas well away from Central London and on the fringes of London such as Croydon.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-11-2021 at 06:06 AM..

Old 02-11-2021, 08:28 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Brave New World; I watch quite a bit of BBC and U.K. programing .I agree CCTV seem to really work well watching a crime being committed and the aggressor walking away after the attack.
Sorry for the derailing of the topic. BEN

Old 02-12-2021, 03:06 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,169 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Brave New World; I watch quite a bit of BBC and U.K. programing .I agree CCTV seem to really work well watching a crime being committed and the aggressor walking away after the attack.
Sorry for the derailing of the topic. BEN

You are safe in London Ben, and don't let this thread put you off visiting the city.

As for derailing the thread, you haven't and hopefully you will visit the UK again in the future.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:03 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
safe in London? you have to be joking.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:54 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
safe in London? you have to be joking.
Well I’ve been living, working, walking and driving in central London since 1939, and the only times that I was probably remotely unsafe was during the blitz in WW2, but I was unaware of that, my mother carried me down to the nearest air raid shelter, and held me until the “all clear” sounded.
Some of you people seem frightened of your own shadow, don’t believe everything that you read in the papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London