Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:37 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,636,069 times

Advertisements

What was your field of work?

Most people around the world aren't attracted to London because of its history. They have plenty of their own. Many times their history is much longer. Americans are one of the few people who look up to the history of England because theirs is only a few centuries old.

Europe is made up of many small nation-states with different languages and cultures. I guess it's a good feeling knowing you can take a 1-3 hour flight in any direction south or east and known you end up somewhere very different. That is more interesting to Americans. I've met a lot of American youngsters who move to Europe for a gap year or study in a British (or another European) university for a year. Most of them appreciate USA more after having been in Europe. Those in England particularly so.

America is part of a continent with much to offer by itself which is part of the reason you don't need to get out of the USA to do certain things. Brits have to travel abroad for good beaches or skiing.

"refreshing absence of bad boy attitudes from general populace underprivileged" - you ought to explain this one because binge drinking and chav "culture" is rampant among the aggressive (and often times incomprehensible to outsiders) British underclass. Much more can be said about this very real social problem.
Read http://www.vexen.co.uk/UK/trashculture.html

So did your living standard increase with your move to London?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khartoum View Post
I'm from NY and worked there for 12 years, have also worked in London for 4 ( and Tokyo for over 4 ) and I prefer London overall - the breakdown

- cultural treasures like Kew Gardens > Bronx or BK botanical - historical buildings +++
- pervasive pub culture in the UK - frequent pints with co-workers - more so than NY
- proximity to rest of Europe and Africa - 90 min flights to most of western europe
- London is massive yet does not have scale of disheveled gov infrastructure like NY
- refreshing absence of bad boy attitudes from general populace underprivileged
- greater spectrum of architecture - better Indian restaurants !!!
- I got a transfer from NY to LN and employer gave 1/3 raise to compensate for costs
while comfortable living in London is extremely expensive - if you're adventurous and flexible I say scratch that itch

Old 08-03-2008, 06:36 AM

200 posts, read 1,008,588 times
I was reminded of this thread last night. Trying to find a pub open after 11.00 on a Saturday night is a real challenge in London and very annoying. When you live in a major world city, it's very annoying. London does sleep. NYC doesn't.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:11 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,859 times
London- Why? because you can hop on a train,plane, or boat and go to various countries for the weekend and be back by monday.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:30 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Americans are one of the few people who look up to the history of England because theirs is only a few centuries old.
I know some Native Americans who would be offended by that statement....

Old 08-04-2008, 05:21 AM

I didn't mean Native Americans. That is understood. I was thinking mainly of white people. Read about first world travelling at #19 Traveling « Stuff White People Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I know some Native Americans who would be offended by that statement....

Old 08-05-2008, 01:42 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,031 times
Quote:
I didn't mean Native Americans. That is understood. I was thinking mainly of white people. Read about first world travelling at #19 Traveling « Stuff White People Like
I've seen that site....it's mildly amusing at best. I don't see how that is relevant to this conversation.

Not all Americans who travel are white, so maybe you did need to clarify.
In fact, most of the people I know who've traveled to London and even lived there are not white.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:44 AM

With history I meant modern infrastructure, roads and buildings. The Native Americans didn't build such things before the whites came. That history of America is only a few centuries old. So not older than the 17th century. Enough said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I've seen that site....it's mildly amusing at best. I don't see how that is relevant to this conversation.
Well, you would say that as you're trying hard to argue against me. Stop being sensitive and politically correct will you.

Quote:
Not all Americans who travel are white, so maybe you did need to clarify.
I know that. A majority of Americans are white. The majority who travel around Europe are naturally white as well. Furthermore, in my experience many white Americans travel to Europe because they like to know more about where their ancestors came from.

Quote:
In fact, most of the people I know who've traveled to London and even lived there are not white.
Have you been to London? Most Americans in London, whether tourists or professionals living there, that I have seen are white. More specifically WASP, although I've also met other American whites in London. It would be interesting to know the statistics though.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:07 AM

334 posts, read 1,269,018 times
Here we go:

Skyline-New York
Weather-New York
Monuments-Tied
History-London
Musuems-New York
Public Transportation- New York
Sports-New York
Food-New York
Standard of Living-New York
Cost-Tied
Nightlife-Tied

Old 08-05-2008, 03:55 PM

Are you sure about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
Cost-Tied

Old 08-06-2008, 05:41 PM

5 posts, read 11,590 times
Quote:
What was your field of work?

Most people around the world aren't attracted to London because of its history. They have plenty of their own. Many times their history is much longer. Americans are one of the few people who look up to the history of England because theirs is only a few centuries old.

Europe is made up of many small nation-states with different languages and cultures. I guess it's a good feeling knowing you can take a 1-3 hour flight in any direction south or east and known you end up somewhere very different. That is more interesting to Americans. I've met a lot of American youngsters who move to Europe for a gap year or study in a British (or another European) university for a year. Most of them appreciate USA more after having been in Europe. Those in England particularly so.

America is part of a continent with much to offer by itself which is part of the reason you don't need to get out of the USA to do certain things. Brits have to travel abroad for good beaches or skiing.

"refreshing absence of bad boy attitudes from general populace underprivileged" - you ought to explain this one because binge drinking and chav "culture" is rampant among the aggressive (and often times incomprehensible to outsiders) British underclass. Much more can be said about this very real social problem.
Read UK: Trash Culture, analysis by Vexen Crabtree

So did your living standard increase with your move to London?

I'm an American living in London and I've been to NY many times and I prefer London, and the UK in general, for many reasons, however if there was one thing I could change about it here it would be people like you. London/UK is a great place that tons of people from all over the world-including the many Americans I've talked to who also live here-are attracted to and love living in. Many British people don't seem to appreciate what they have though. If you like NY better, fine. Move there. I like London better and moved here. But I'm not going to spend all my effort trying to prove London's better because its my opinion and thats it. Same with everyone else's. I'm just glad there's a Europe AND an America so everyone can be somewhat happy although I have a feeling you might not be happy no matter where you go. And by the way, after living in the UK for a while now, what I appreciate is the fact I was lucky enough to be born in raised in a country that lets everyone have the freedom to make and chase their own dreams (US) but now live in one that I feel is just as amazing and is allowing me to catch them (UK).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London