Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:13 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times

Advertisements

Hopefully we'll get a break from the constant noise we've been having for months...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 01:03 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Hopefully we'll get a break from the constant noise we've been having for months...
Don't count on it. That main runway is primarily used for takeoffs. It is the arrivals that affect us the most and they love using 22L for those.

Hopefully I'm meeting with a rep of Congresswoman McCarthy tomorrow at the GC EAB meeting. We are going to have a looooooong discussion

Old 06-29-2010, 01:08 PM

577 posts, read 978,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Don't count on it. That main runway is primarily used for takeoffs. It is the arrivals that affect us the most and they love using 22L for those.

Hopefully I'm meeting with a rep of Congresswoman McCarthy tomorrow at the GC EAB meeting. We are going to have a looooooong discussion

If possible could you give additional details about the meeting? Time, location,agenda, public meeting? Thanks

Old 06-29-2010, 01:54 PM

It's the Environmental Advisory Board of the Village of Garden City. (I think you have to be a resident to attend). It's at the Village Hall at 8pm tomorrow night. We are trying to get a rep from the Congresswoman's office there, but don't have firm confirmation just yet.

I believe the Congresswoman wants to use a resident of GC as her mouthpiece to promote her legislation which gives a tax credit to soundproof homes near airports. Unfortunately, soundproofing costs close to 1,000 PER window...so that tax credit will be meaningless. Also, it doesn't tackle the real problems which are:

1) No variation in flight paths
2) Altitude
3) Volume of flights
4) Arrivals occuring between 11pm and 7am

Old 06-29-2010, 02:00 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
I've actually been noticing a lot of departing flights over my house - on a northeasterly flight path, and in almost 13 years here I've never seen that.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM

Twingles,

That's rare. It probably was due to the main runway closure. In the end, departing flights don't really affect us because they are way too high by the time they come over our village. It's the arriving flights that are the problem.

I really don't know how you got used to the noise over the years. Your neighborhood is particularly hit hard because after they pass over Stratford School near me, then come right over there. On a Friday night in the summer, it's not unusual to have 50-60 flights overhead every hour for about 6-7 hours at a time.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:25 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
I used to live very close to JFK (South Jamaica), I know how annoying it can be but I eventually didn't really notice it after a while. But those Concordes let you know when they're coming and going, the ground shaking and you can't hear a thing for like 30 seconds.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Lovely. I wonder when people start moving out and property values sink?
They were still using 22L this afternoon, even with a NW wind. Isn't a crosswind bad for landings?

Old 06-29-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I used to live very close to JFK (South Jamaica), I know how annoying it can be but I eventually didn't really notice it after a while. But those Concordes let you know when they're coming and going, the ground shaking and you can't hear a thing for like 30 seconds.
The thing is I dont live by the airport here in Westbury, yet they fly at altitudes like they are landing in Roosevelt Field.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:14 AM

577 posts, read 978,849 times
Quote:
It's the Environmental Advisory Board of the Village of Garden City. (I think you have to be a resident to attend). It's at the Village Hall at 8pm tomorrow night. We are trying to get a rep from the Congresswoman's office there, but don't have firm confirmation just yet.

I believe the Congresswoman wants to use a resident of GC as her mouthpiece to promote her legislation which gives a tax credit to soundproof homes near airports. Unfortunately, soundproofing costs close to 1,000 PER window...so that tax credit will be meaningless. Also, it doesn't tackle the real problems which are:

1) No variation in flight paths
2) Altitude
3) Volume of flights
4) Arrivals occurring between 11pm and 7am

Could you please advise if Maloney will in fact have a rep at the meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island