Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 08:53 AM

14 posts, read 28,061 times

Advertisements

I am looking for recommendations for contractors who can repair termite damage. The home is located in Roslyn Heights. Please pm me with their contact info.

Thanks,

Ladierayz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
How much damage.....becareful. Alot of repairs I see look good but its just window dressing.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:12 PM

126 posts, read 522,331 times
Quote:
How much damage.....becareful. Alot of repairs I see look good but its just window dressing.
What do you mean by window dressing?
I am about to close on a house where the seller agreed to repair some termite damage. There was signficant damage on the garage wall adjacent to one side of the house (attached garage). The owner replaced the sill plate and and some of the studs. There was also some damage to the sill plate and floor joists near the front of the house (perpendicular to the floor joists). I wasn't too happy with the way the repairs looked. They sistered up some floor joists, but they used nails instead of bolts. Also they didn't go all the way back to the main beam, so i don't really know if the "sistering" did anything to support the old damaged joists. The new sill plate that runs perpendicular to the joists looked ok. However, they also replaced about 15' of sill plate on the side of the house (parallel to the floor joists) that didn't look as good. I think they used one plate on top of another, and i just didn't seem leveled. It actually moved when i pushed down on it. I was also concerned as there doesn't seem to be any hardware that secures the sill plate to the foundation wall. I think the way they change the sills is by priying the old one off and wedging in new one. I don't know if this is expected from a 60 year old cape

Old 06-24-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacike View Post
What do you mean by window dressing?
I am about to close on a house where the seller agreed to repair some termite damage. There was signficant damage on the garage wall adjacent to one side of the house (attached garage). The owner replaced the sill plate and and some of the studs. There was also some damage to the sill plate and floor joists near the front of the house (perpendicular to the floor joists). I wasn't too happy with the way the repairs looked. They sistered up some floor joists, but they used nails instead of bolts. Also they didn't go all the way back to the main beam, so i don't really know if the "sistering" did anything to support the old damaged joists. The new sill plate that runs perpendicular to the joists looked ok. However, they also replaced about 15' of sill plate on the side of the house (parallel to the floor joists) that didn't look as good. I think they used one plate on top of another, and i just didn't seem leveled. It actually moved when i pushed down on it. I was also concerned as there doesn't seem to be any hardware that secures the sill plate to the foundation wall. I think the way they change the sills is by priying the old one off and wedging in new one. I don't know if this is expected from a 60 year old cape
You have issues then. Sounds like they just hid the damage. For sistering to work properly, the new floor joist MUST extend from the foundation to the main girder in one piece. If not, you got "window dressing". You may want to get some money in escrow.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:53 PM

126 posts, read 522,331 times
Kbinspections. I am working with a contractor now on sistering some other joists that are pretty much turned into dust. I am hearing two stories on sistering. Some people say is acceptable to sister without going back to the main beam. I personally disagree with that approach. However, i do not understand how is possible to get a joist the entire length of the old one without doing it from either the front of back of the house. There doesn't seem to be enough diagonal wiggle room in between joists to get one in there the entire length. Could you please explain the correct procedure for joist sistering?

Old 07-13-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacike View Post
Kbinspections. I am working with a contractor now on sistering some other joists that are pretty much turned into dust. I am hearing two stories on sistering. Some people say is acceptable to sister without going back to the main beam. I personally disagree with that approach. However, i do not understand how is possible to get a joist the entire length of the old one without doing it from either the front of back of the house. There doesn't seem to be enough diagonal wiggle room in between joists to get one in there the entire length. Could you please explain the correct procedure for joist sistering?
Each situation is different. There is no acceptable way to sister without 2 load bearing members (foundation, main girder, column) supporting it. In tight spots , you may have to put in a column. I would have to see it.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,842 times
Default Same Boat

I am buying a small house that during my inspection I saw that the front of the house has some rot and or termite damage to the sill plate and joist. Can anyone recommend a good carpenter/contractor to replace the sill and sister the bad floor joists. The house is small, two bedrooms about 650 sq ft.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:54 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Try sending a DM to KbInspector. He should be able to recommend someone for you

Old 11-21-2010, 07:52 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongquistador View Post
I am buying a small house that during my inspection I saw that the front of the house has some rot and or termite damage to the sill plate and joist. Can anyone recommend a good carpenter/contractor to replace the sill and sister the bad floor joists. The house is small, two bedrooms about 650 sq ft.
Don't know where you're located, but Russ Gilroy is very good. He's done work for me, as well as for one of my daughters to our complete satisfaction.
His number is 631.918.8265 (cell). Let him know I referred you - it'll speed up the return call. Oh, and he's reasonable as well when it comes to price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island