Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:40 PM

14 posts, read 58,577 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I got admission in graduate program (MS) in electrical engineering at SUNY Stony Brook and Clemson University.

Which do I prefer?

Also, how is the MBA program at Stony Brook? I heard its good at Clemson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 06:57 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
EVERYTHING at Stony Brook is good! Some departments are world class. Others are close.
IN Science,Math, Engineering etc.you cannot go wrong here.

MBA program is new but I am sure it is up there.
They attract top faculty in every field.
Check out U,S, News and World Report ranking.
Save money. Learn. Take advantage of all this top tier school has to offer.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:22 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
EVERYTHING at Stony Brook is good! Some departments are world class. Others are close.
IN Science,Math, Engineering etc.you cannot go wrong here.

MBA program is new but I am sure it is up there.
They attract top faculty in every field.
Check out U,S, News and World Report ranking.
Save money. Learn. Take advantage of all this top tier school has to offer.
- including the overcrowding conditions, right?

Do not rely on U.S. News and World Report as a reliable source of whether a school is good or not. The best way is to visit both of the schools - visit their career services center, research what % of their graduates land jobs in their chosen fields, how many employers visit the campus to recruit, how strong is the alumni network. SB has a good MBA program, I would not call it "world class" A world class MBA program is Cornell, Stanford, Harvard, Wharton - that is world class. That said, many state university programs are as good if not better than those offered by second tier private universities. Clemson has a good football program, but what does it offer it's students on an academic level? The same questions above, apply.

The key is to research, research, research. Accepting a blanket statement such as above, "MBA program is new, but I'm sure it's up there" is tantamount to playing with fire for your future. It's similar to looking at a new Yugo and saying: "it's a new car, so I'm sure it's reliable and safe" - do you see any Yugo's driven around today en masse?

Good Luck!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:15 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
I did not call the MBA program 'world class" I said it was rather new but that I am sure tht it is good.
i am sure that it is good because I have never heard of a program at this most reputible of Universities that was not at least "good"
I fail to see the connection between Yugos and Stony Brook University.
This has me really mystified.
I will not say that you cannot get a better education "for the price" While that is true I will go further and compare SBU favorably to the likes of Cornell. M.I.T and N.Y.U. and so many other private schools.
BTW they are all very crowded too,
Stony Brook is as personnel as one wants to make it.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:05 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,471 times
"Stony Brook is as personnel as one wants to make it."

Are you a distinquished alumnus of the University?

Old 06-14-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
"Stony Brook is as personnel as one wants to make it."

Are you a distinquished alumnus of the University?
Most likely an employee of the university.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I did not call the MBA program 'world class" I said it was rather new but that I am sure tht it is good.
i am sure that it is good because I have never heard of a program at this most reputible of Universities that was not at least "good"
I fail to see the connection between Yugos and Stony Brook University.
This has me really mystified.
I will not say that you cannot get a better education "for the price" While that is true I will go further and compare SBU favorably to the likes of Cornell. M.I.T and N.Y.U. and so many other private schools.
BTW they are all very crowded too,
Stony Brook is as personnel as one wants to make it.
Talk about going out on a limb - you want to compare M.I.T. with Stony Brook? Bruhaahaaa - I'm sure the federal government calls Stony Brook with engineering questions all the time. B.O. - Hold on Mr. Hayward, I'm on the line with Stony Brook University, their coming up with the plans to stop the oil leak in the Gulf. B.O. - aha, thank you S.B.U....Mr. Hayward, we have the solution!, the engineers over at S.B.U. say to stick a giant cork in it!! Now, that's what I call "state engineered ingenuity".

Old 06-14-2010, 03:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Talk about going out on a limb - you want to compare M.I.T. with Stony Brook? Bruhaahaaa - I'm sure the federal government calls Stony Brook with engineering questions all the time. B.O. - Hold on Mr. Hayward, I'm on the line with Stony Brook University, their coming up with the plans to stop the oil leak in the Gulf. B.O. - aha, thank you S.B.U....Mr. Hayward, we have the solution!, the engineers over at S.B.U. say to stick a giant cork in it!! Now, that's what I call "state engineered ingenuity".
I don't know about that as the NSF has appointed the Dean of SoMAS as it's new Director of OCE.

As it stands right now, USB will be doing a fair amount of research into the impact of the introduction to vast amounts of oil into the marine environment and microbial response. It might not be 'put a cork in it' but should provide us with some idea as to how respond and how the ecosystems will respond.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:20 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post

Actually, Stony Brook Southampton is actively involved with the marine life issues going on in the Gulf right now. I think you are underrating their engineering department. They do work on federal government projects, especially the defense department. The computer science department also works with the feds and gets quite a few government grants. Both of these departments have extensive research facilities and they've got money. Other departments, such as the music department, have declined.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,036 times
update to Coney:

Stony Brook Southampton wont be coming with any solutions to the issues going in the gulf. As of the end of August, that college will no longer exist. This past April, SBU's new president suddenly announced the abrupt termination of its environmental sustainability college at Southampton, saying it is not "academically significant". He didnt think this college was important enough to exist because he is not interested in environmental programs.

He closed down the entire college & evicted 800 students to make the the newly-renovated campus property available for his favored interests - graduate level bio-medical science research partnerships with private corporations for a lucrative profit. This new president has no interest in anything that is not graduate level, medical or technology related. He killed an entire new 4-year college that was the only fully "green" campus in this state & the only NY college solely dedicated to environmental sustainability.

First he claimed "lack of funding" but when the local town offered enough funding for another 2 years of operation, he flatly refused it. Now he doesnt even bother to give an explanation for terminating this successful & growing college just as its admissions had increased by 54% for the coming fall term.

Thats the guy running SBU. He has no regard for undergraduates or liberal arts or humanities programs. If you want to study medicine, research or any kind of technology, he is your man. If you want to study anything else, go someplace else because you never know when he will deem your program insignificant & eliminate it too, the way he just did the entire college at Southampton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island