Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:10 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
^ even with little savings after 3 years (age 24) you can surely come up with 20k down between 2 people? How's $1500/mo. per person (includes $10k taxes) sound to you? Is that so impossible? You pull in ~$3k net a month if you make $50k. How is this "very very hard"? I'm not saying everyone is making 50k, but many do and this is a feasible scenario that's not "very very hard".
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Your math seems a little off, if your pulling in 50k annually, how are you making 3K net per month? Fed tax of 18%, State tax of 4%, SS 6.2%, Medicare 1.45% - who's paying for health insurance and retirement? If you go without the last two, then you can get to 3K net.
Its off. 50K is bringing in about 2600/mo after taxes and retirement (as per some old paychecks), its also a pretty healthy salary for a 24 y/o today. Now you have car insurance, food, cell phone, and maybe rent, skipping other purchases.

Insurance: 200-300
Food: 100-200
Cell: 50-75
Rent: 1000-1500

That leaves about 1025-1250, more if they split the rent. Thats not starting in with cars, computers, cable, internet, utilities, gas, professional obligations (suits, meetings, classes, expenses), vacation, or any sort of going out. Basically your a hermit. And your a hermit thats got a under a thousand dollars each month. But lets say they can both afford to save 1K/mo. You need a minimum of 20% down in to get a decent loan these days, and its good practice anyway. Average home in Suffolk is mid 3's, we'll say 350K. That means little Joey and Susie need to save for three years straight to afford the down payment on a home.

So Joey and Suzie deccide to go house hunting 3 years of savings later. They find a home, get the down payment secured, get a loan with todays great rates (4.5%), and find get a sub-average 7K in taxes. $1418 in mortgage and $583 in taxes. Even with this light load, they are at 40% of their net pay to just pay off the home, a frankly unaffordable rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 10:09 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
^ close to what I was thinking. Actually I think insurance at 200/mo. is high. I am paying $250 for 6 months on my truck = $40/mo (maybe times 2 for 2 cars). Home insurance is $70/mo. Remember, you're splitting these on top of that. And rent is a big maybe nowadays... more & more staying with their parents out of school.

50k isn't set in stone and neither are: "cars, computers, cable, internet, professional obligations (suits, meetings, classes, expenses), vacation, or any sort of going out." Nobody said it was desirable to live like this but if you want to, many make worse sacrifices (my classmate buying a Plainview house right out of college for instance). All I said at the beginning was high 300s isn't out of reach. The numbers show that.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-21-2010 at 10:27 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 10:14 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,618 times
Quote:
^ I like your numbers as they are what I was thinking. 50k isn't set in stone and neither are: "cars, computers, cable, internet, professional obligations (suits, meetings, classes, expenses), vacation, or any sort of going out." Nobody said it was desirable to live like this but if you want to, many make worse sacrifices (my classmate buying a Plainview house right out of college for instance). All I said at the beginning was high 300s isn't out of reach. The numbers show that.

40% of your net pay is out of reach though. By the time your finished with homeowners insurance, utilities, maintenence, and all the other points of owning a home your easily over 50% of your paycheck. Thats precious little to spread around of nessecities of life, never mind savings.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:22 AM

432 posts, read 1,594,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
I think most trade up homes are in the 400 range for the average person. And yea, theres plenty of homes in that range, but not many "trade ups", more like lateral trades. Usually when you trade up you get more land, more space, etc. but not on LI. The homes that I have found in this range are killed by some crazy tax structure (mainly looking in Manorville). Sorry, but I'm not paying $15,0000 per year in taxes!

Manorville taxes will be going up. Look farther east.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:35 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
^ close to what I was thinking. Actually I think insurance at 200/mo. is high. I am paying $250 for 6 months on my truck = $40/mo (maybe times 2 for 2 cars). Home insurance is $70/mo. Remember, you're splitting these on top of that. And rent is a big maybe nowadays... more & more staying with their parents out of school.

50k isn't set in stone and neither are: "cars, computers, cable, internet, professional obligations (suits, meetings, classes, expenses), vacation, or any sort of going out." Nobody said it was desirable to live like this but if you want to, many make worse sacrifices (my classmate buying a Plainview house right out of college for instance). All I said at the beginning was high 300s isn't out of reach. The numbers show that.
Where did s/he get the downpayment "right out of college?"

Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
Oh...that was the $80K Missy got for graduating college from her parents.

Lets face it, it takes years if not decades to save 20% for a down payment on a home while renting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Where did s/he get the downpayment "right out of college?"

Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Lets face it, it takes years if not decades to save 20% for a down payment on a home while renting.
Decades? I don't think so. We saved a down payment in 2 years of renting. We lived off one salary, and we were making an average salary for Long Island.

The problem always comes back to the taxes. Even if you can get a house in the $300Ks, your taxes are going to be high and you know they will always be going higher...every single year. There's no relief from that and people have to take that into consideration.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:54 PM

302 posts, read 590,916 times
Check out this great house in Stony Brook that was just listed today!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:58 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,033,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
Check out this great house in Stony Brook that was just listed today!

879k - bwahahaha

According to Trulia

Date
Event
Price
Source
06/19/2008 Sold view details $690,000 Public record Public record

What are people continuing to smoke?!

Old 07-22-2010, 02:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Decades? I don't think so. We saved a down payment in 2 years of renting. We lived off one salary, and we were making an average salary for Long Island.
Say you were in the same situation today (first time buyer renting while saving) and wanted to buy your house. Would it have only taken 2 years to save for the downpayment considering prices today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The problem always comes back to the taxes. Even if you can get a house in the $300Ks, your taxes are going to be high and you know they will always be going higher...every single year. There's no relief from that and people have to take that into consideration.
That is the big problem here. I totally agree with you. I remember another post you made about how you were moving because you didn't want to continue to put five figures of your cash into the greedy union pockets each year instead of into the bank for yourself and you are right on target! These days nobody is getting raises "just for showing up" anymore ... except certain public employees and it all comes out of the taxpayers' pockets. The only hope is if whoever becomes governor actually DOES SOMETHING about the property taxes. If not, forget it. Even me, the "die hard LI'er" will be out of here too eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island