Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you consider "Too Far" out on Long Island?
A- (Blue) Nassau/Suffolk Border 22 37.93%
B- (Red) Smithtown/Islip 13 22.41%
C- (Gray) Sound Beach/Medford 11 18.97%
D- (Yellow) Baiting Hollow/Westhampton 4 6.90%
E- (Green) Southold/East Hampton/Montauk 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:25 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
True, the bottom, like say flushing, is comparable to LI rents in Hempstead.

Everytime I read a LI thread it becomes such a surreal event. People stupidly bickering over which is better Nassau or Suffolk. Constant attention over lower income towns, just a real strange sense of insecurities to prove me and my town are better than you and your town. I think it's just the LI way. However this is a new one. What's wrong with Flushing? This is the first time ever I read from any post ever calling it the bottom of anything. Flushing is seen as one of the best places to visit and live on the NY boards. What's wrong with Flushing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Do you really think every neighborhood in Nassau is like that? I would say neighborhoods like that with such narrow lots and small yards are the minority in Nassau. I guess it depends how much breathing room you want when it comes to Suffolk. I am different in that I don't like too much breathing room ... don't like dark areas with few or no streetlights, no sidewalks, and woods around my house where anyone can hide.
Land is cheaper in Suffolk so homes do have more property. A 3bed cape on 1/8 acre of land in Valley Stream will be more expensive than a 5bed Victorian on a 1/2 acre in Middle Island. Like you said it's all about preference.

BTW, the only thing hiding in those woods is probably a deer.

Last edited by 1nevets; 12-28-2010 at 01:01 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Links are dead (F MLSLI) but Im not sure what youre point is?

We agree....Nassau looks cheap compared to NYC.
If I were looking to live near NYC on the cheap.I'd pick Nassau too.

But Id still prefer Bayside, Jamaica Estates, Douglaston, Bay Ridge, Park Slope etc etc etc.

I dont want to live near NYC...I dont even want to live near Massapequa.
We like what we have.
As you do too.

Tastes are always subjective.

Crooks
I agree with Crooks. If I had the money and wanted to live close to NYC I'd live in places like Whitestone, Douglaston, Hollis Gardens, Woodlawn, Carroll Gardens, Clinton Hill, City Island or Nesponsit. I would only consider the Roslyn, Manhasset area in Nassau because it has an excellent commute and more of the Westchester look and sizeable properties to its homes.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:29 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I agree with Crooks. If I had the money and wanted to live close to NYC I'd live in places like Whitestone, Douglaston, Hollis Gardens, Woodlawn, Carroll Gardens, Clinton Hill, City Island or Nesponsit. I would only consider the Roslyn, Manhasset area in Nassau because it has an excellent commute and more of the Westchester look and sizeable properties to its homes.
LOVE City Island in BX,

Whitestone is incredible.My other subuurban favorite in Queens is Malba.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:24 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Land is cheaper in Suffolk so homes do have more property. A 3bed cape on 1/8 acre of land in Valley Stream will be more expensive than a 5bed Victorian on a 1/2 acre in Middle Island. Like you said it's all about preference.

BTW, the only thing hiding in those woods is probably a deer.
That makes me think of Lyme Disease!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
LOL! Like Crooks said "city folks."

Old 12-28-2010, 10:52 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,872 times
Default hmm

I just moved to medford. pretty much c and d. I think the c and d box should be moved a little to the west more. I live right by 112 and can pretty much get to the downtown area of riverhead in about 12 min or so .

I work in huntington village and i would not move any farther east then i do now. i did originally think i was too far east but i like it now. Its harder to get to nyc because the trains out here stink but a lot of the things i went to the city for i can do in the hamptons and the north fork. I am now in weekend driving distance to greenport and the hamptons which i like a lot.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:25 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Everytime I read a LI thread it becomes such a surreal event. People stupidly bickering over which is better Nassau or Suffolk. Constant attention over lower income towns, just a real strange sense of insecurities to prove me and my town are better than you and your town. I think it's just the LI way. However this is a new one. What's wrong with Flushing? This is the first time ever I read from any post ever calling it the bottom of anything. Flushing is seen as one of the best places to visit and live on the NY boards. What's wrong with Flushing?
No one said there was anything wrong with it. Meaning the lower end of Flushing by QCC, Queensboro - by Kissena, Parsons and the LIE. But nevets, you ignored the context of the thread. It was not meant to slight Queens, we were comparing lower end rentals in Queens to Hempstead. Did you read the pages leading up to this post? Hempstead compares properly to some parts of da 'Shing. I could've compared (bad comparison) Ozone pk or So. Jamaica, but I think even Hempstead is more desirable and more expensive, rental-wise.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:55 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Makes me think of venison steaks!

Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
No one said there was anything wrong with it. Meaning the lower end of Flushing by QCC, Queensboro - by Kissena, Parsons and the LIE. But nevets, you ignored the context of the thread. It was not meant to slight Queens, we were comparing lower end rentals in Queens to Hempstead. Did you read the pages leading up to this post? Hempstead compares properly to some parts of da 'Shing. I could've compared (bad comparison) Ozone pk or So. Jamaica, but I think even Hempstead is more desirable and more expensive, rental-wise.
I see your point. Thanks for explaining it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island