Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 02:14 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
My sister is looking at houses in Melville. There was a lovely one but the realtor told her, with ME on the phone, that the house was 'too close to Wyandanch'. What does that mean?
That means that the realtor probably knows what your sister wants and that this one does not fit her wants and needs. Wyandanch is very well known for not being a desirable or safe area. No one wants to buy a home, their biggest hugest investment most likely, that is very close to an undesirable area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 11:55 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,757,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
That means that the realtor probably knows what your sister wants and that this one does not fit her wants and needs. Wyandanch is very well known for not being a desirable or safe area. No one wants to buy a home, their biggest hugest investment most likely, that is very close to an undesirable area.
Actually, what that real estate agent did is blatantly illegal. He or she should be reported for "steering". Here is the complaint form to file with the NYS Department of State. http://www.dos.state.ny.us/LCNS/pdfs/1507.pdf Please report him or her so that he or she will hopefully lose his license. Also, he committed a federal crime by acting in a discriminatory manner in his practice of real estate. I would suggest that you also report him to the Department of Housing and Urban Development. I would also throw in the NYS Attorney General. There is no place for people like that in our business.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:31 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Actually, what that real estate agent did is blatantly illegal. He or she should be reported for "steering". Here is the complaint form to file with the NYS Department of State. http://www.dos.state.ny.us/LCNS/pdfs/1507.pdf Please report him or her so that he or she will hopefully lose his license. Also, he committed a federal crime by acting in a discriminatory manner in his practice of real estate. I would suggest that you also report him to the Department of Housing and Urban Development. I would also throw in the NYS Attorney General. There is no place for people like that in our business.
That is why I believe realtors are in a tough spot. B/c if these buyers are from out of state and are not familiar with the area, and they buy a home that they soon find out is next to a bad area, they may get pissed off at the realtor for not telling them.

I think realtors are dammed if they do or if they don't either way. As much as the realtor "should" follow the law, if their customer tells them they do not want to buy near a not so desirable area relativelty speaking, and do not tell them the truth about an area (such as Wyandanch) is that really fair to a buyer who is relocating? I know buyers should of course do their own research, but many people are very trusting and would believe a realtor would be helping them in their best interest, esp a buyer's agent.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:38 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,757,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
That is why I believe realtors are in a tough spot. B/c if these buyers are from out of state and are not familiar with the area, and they buy a home that they soon find out is next to a bad area, they may get pissed off at the realtor for not telling them.

I think realtors are dammed if they do or if they don't either way. As much as the realtor "should" follow the law, if their customer tells them they do not want to buy near a not so desirable area relativelty speaking, and do not tell them the truth about an area (such as Wyandanch) is that really fair to a buyer who is relocating? I know buyers should of course do their own research, but many people are very trusting and would believe a realtor would be helping them in their best interest, esp a buyer's agent.
The problem is "desirable" means different things to different people. Real estate agents can and should provide objective facts about an area (such as crime statistics), but stay away from anything that may be subjective (this is a "good area" or a "bad area". I have learned never to assume anything. For example, I have learned to ask "how many people are in your family" rather than "how many kids do you and your husband have?" I admit, it is difficult because some people openly state their prejudicial prejudices, but we should do the best that we can to follow the letter and the spirit of the law. And remember, you never know if the next person who walks in or calls your office is a "tester" from the department of state.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:22 PM

69 posts, read 184,285 times
Default Are you still Middle Class if...

It takes a married couple 4-5 jobs to reach that $130,000-150,000 level?

Old 12-31-2007, 03:54 AM

706 posts, read 3,763,046 times
I thought most of south shore LI was working class and lower middle class.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 AM

26 posts, read 107,978 times
It seems like only on Long Island ,if you make more than $40.000 a year as a single person or two people, and you are not middle class.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:00 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
It's great for rich *******s!
With huge bags of bucks!
But for working humans,
Long Island SUCKS.

T minus three days and counting,
Goodbye to this horrible place forever!
You're going to be outta here so fast that the door isn't going to have a chance to hit you on the arse on the way out.

Good luck with the move.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:42 PM

5 posts, read 31,046 times
The homes on my block go from $500.00 over 1 milion, we are middle class. no one has a boat or rv at the house or fixes their car in the street, or flick butts. You have something against honest hard working people? oh, we garden and some actually have the nearve to cut their own lawn, HORRORS !!! How do we live with eachother. I could move into your snobby neighborhood!!!

Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 AM

222 posts, read 892,701 times
I'm glad to see that this thread has resulted in some interesting discourse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island