Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:46 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Mangano brought this on himself. He should have dumped the patronage people left over from Suozzi and reined in his own bloated bureaucrats.

These politicians make me sick, regardless of what party they belong to. They need to start with themselves, move on to their bureaucrats, get rid of patronage entirely, and then start whittling from the top down, instead of trying to stick it to the people who bust their butts actually doing the work of public service. Amazing what you could accomplish by cutting the salaries of administrators who make 300K+ a year for keeping a chair warm.
The article below in yesterdays Newsday indicated the CSEA contract he is proposing has pay 3.25% increases of 2016 and 2017 above the present CPI, require binding arbitration (only the police presently have) and require that Scheinman be the arbitrator (he awarded SCPD th elast increase). Interesting since that would be well after the next election, do you see a pattern with kicking the problemdown the road?

He also wants to sell the Mitchel Field leases off at a fraction of the costs like the county didn't get screwed enough with the original Mitchel Field deals and Roosevelt Raceway? Also the selling of 140 acres to Charles Wang back in 2000 as one of Gulotta's last acts.

This is a dangerous man and legislature to go to this extent to freeze taxes rather than ask resident to pay anoyther $60, he should be impeached.

Union deal may have been Mangano's undoing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 04:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It was the Buffalo Fiscal Control Board in Erie County. They took control in 2003 and went from running deficits to surpluses but when they moved back to oversight from control Buffalo ran deficits again. The board froze contracts of all the unions, sanitation workers, teachers, just about every employee. They are city as is NY City so all the unions were under their control. There was also a control board put in place for NY City back in the 70's but I believe it was voluntary.

The teachers union actually took the control board to court in Buffalo when they froze their contracts but the union lost the case. They are still in place today

Its rather stunning that a wealthy county like Nassau can't control its finances any better than Buffalo.

Buffalo Fiscal Stability Authority - Home Page
The Buffalo teachers union used to get elective cosmetic surgery covered under their health care insurance plans:

Teachers Spent $9M On Cosmetic Surgery in 2009 (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_york_state/NY-TeachersCosmetic-Surgery-20101028-apx - broken link)

And I am NOT talking about necessary reconstructive surgery or burn surgery!

I am talking about face lifts, hairy lips, chemical peels, etc., etc.:

Hot for Teacher: $9M on Cosmetic Surgeries - Buffalo Rising

90% of the procedures were chemical peels, skin rejuvenation, laser hair removal and other skin treatments.

And of course, people with "connections" profited greatly on top of that:

Interestingly, most of the spending has gone to 8 local plastic surgeons.

As for Nassau not being able to control its finances, I can think of one reason.

In reality, Nassau does not get enough of our total property taxes.

The individual school districts hog 65-70% of every tax dollar we pay. For starters, they have to make sure every superintendant and administrator makes more than the POTUS or at least more than the Governor of NYS.

In reality, Nassau hasn't raised their portion of our taxes enough to be able to support the County well PLUS be able to support the unions and the top brass. And on top of that, what does our CE do, but BORROW millions to give away to high level police at retirement who are getting six-figure pensions for the rest of their lives. You can see what's important in the budget of Nassau County -- those who are connected. And I won't even blame the current CE for this because it's been this way for a very long time.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Ed Mangano- comments

"While I respect the role NIFA is supposed to play, it is clear they do not intend to use their powers to truly save taxpayers money. Taxpayers should be gravely concerned over NIFA's motivation to raise property taxes. Today's action is unfounded and premature since NIFA's determination of County finances is not in compliance with the law nor is it consistent with the spirit of the law. I will take the necessary legal steps to protect our residents from property tax increases.”

We have a political coup d'etat on our hands here.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The article below in yesterdays Newsday indicated the CSEA contract he is proposing has pay 3.25% increases of 2016 and 2017 above the present CPI, require binding arbitration (only the police presently have) and require that Scheinman be the arbitrator (he awarded SCPD th elast increase). Interesting since that would be well after the next election, do you see a pattern with kicking the problemdown the road?

He also wants to sell the Mitchel Field leases off at a fraction of the costs like the county didn't get screwed enough with the original Mitchel Field deals and Roosevelt Raceway? Also the selling of 140 acres to Charles Wang back in 2000 as one of Gulotta's last acts.

This is a dangerous man and legislature to go to this extent to freeze taxes rather than ask resident to pay anoyther $60, he should be impeached.

Union deal may have been Mangano's undoing
I agree with you now, but I voted for him in the election and gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Why?

Did we have any choice of anyone decent to vote for?

Suozzi was also a piece of crap catering to illegal aliens with our tax money. A rich man wanting to make sure his rich neighbors will always have peasants around to be their servants.

I thought Mangano might have learned that the Gulotta ways ended in disaster, but many of his actions speak differently.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Ed Mangano- comments

"While I respect the role NIFA is supposed to play, it is clear they do not intend to use their powers to truly save taxpayers money. Taxpayers should be gravely concerned over NIFA's motivation to raise property taxes. Today's action is unfounded and premature since NIFA's determination of County finances is not in compliance with the law nor is it consistent with the spirit of the law. I will take the necessary legal steps to protect our residents from property tax increases.”

We have a political coup d'etat on our hands here.
NIFA will not be able to save us any money. I agree with his statement.

The problem is neither he nor NIFA can step up to the teachers' unions who are the ones eating most of our tax money because they are under the school districts.

If that could happen, then we might see something.

Otherwise, the best we can hope for is stabilizing and raising our credit and bond ratings.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
How do you think I feel? I don't have ANY kids and I still have to pay school taxes like you....PLUS, you're getting a tax exemption for each of those cretins you spawned. Consider yourself lucky... Your kids are getting an education on my back!
You are in the same S.D. as tummymumma? Cause if you're not, then you're not paying anything for their kids to get an education. And if you are in the extremely slim minority of non-family households, that never attended an Long Island S.D., you are most likely an empty-nester whose kids received an education via the public education system. If you're in the even slimmer (<1%) minority that never went to an LI school, never put a kid through an LI school or have family that attends one, you still receive the benefit of an increase in your property value due to your town having an above average SD on LI. Either way, you made out okay. Plus the option of having a good SD in case you meet someone with kids or plan on "spawning" kids or cretins is another benefit.

If you didn't understand the above or fall into the extreme <1% minority here, then you're probably better off living in Queens or Brooklyn.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:38 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Thanks Goodnight and ILLIB for the info on the Erie County Case, seems like a drastic measure to take to ensure a balanced budget. I hope something constructive comes out of it for you...

Old 01-27-2011, 06:40 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
NIFA will not be able to save us any money. I agree with his statement.

The problem is neither he nor NIFA can step up to the teachers' unions who are the ones eating most of our tax money because they are under the school districts.

If that could happen, then we might see something.

Otherwise, the best we can hope for is stabilizing and raising our credit and bond ratings.
Relative to the real estate tax for school it is small but most definitely important. The real estate tax is actually smaller than the sales tax that goes to the county and NY State income tax is passed back to the county. How much you pay in real estate tax to the county is clear cut but how much of the other taxes that come out of your pocket are used to fund the county? Same for the school budgets.

Residents that indicate NIFA can't save the county meaningful money are just looking at freezing the union contracts, its more than that as is the case with the negotiations for the CSEA contract and the Mitchel Field leases. A county with this wealth that needs to borrow money to pay bills leaves a lot of areas to be investigated even beyond the unions.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
As for Nassau not being able to control its finances, I can think of one reason.

In reality, Nassau does not get enough of our total property taxes.

The individual school districts hog 65-70% of every tax dollar we pay. For starters, they have to make sure every superintendant and administrator makes more than the POTUS or at least more than the Governor of NYS.

In reality, Nassau hasn't raised their portion of our taxes enough to be able to support the County well PLUS be able to support the unions and the top brass. And on top of that, what does our CE do, but BORROW millions to give away to high level police at retirement who are getting six-figure pensions for the rest of their lives. You can see what's important in the budget of Nassau County -- those who are connected. And I won't even blame the current CE for this because it's been this way for a very long time.
Ilove, they get plenty of our taxes. It's just the services cost too damn much. NCPD & Fire and sanitation cost a fortune.
I made a separate thread on the 70/30 myth debunked here<

Mangano saved us about $13 Million on the ultra expensive NCPD payroll costs. Think of it as a new company coming in and paying off the highly overpaid employees to leave. It's more of an investment that will pay itself off. Companies do it all the time in the private sector. That investment will certainly payoff in the long run (5-7 years).

I agree though, we need MASSIVE reform in the NYS pension system and changes in the current contracts. How the hell did the PBA get such a long lucrative contract anyway (until 2016)?? It's absurd. This isn't the NBA and Lebron James negotiating here.
States need to be allowed to declare bankruptcy and have the ability to open up these contracts/pensions and right-size them to where we can actually afford them.

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-27-2011 at 07:45 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 PM

290 posts, read 583,306 times
The PBA [and the other unions] "got" them when the county came & asked to renegotiate certain aspects of the contracts both sides agreed to through arbitration. The county got some things up front, gave up things towards the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island