Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:33 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,858 times

Advertisements

Seanx4 had a good idea on a thread, so I decided to try to find as many articles as I could from NyTimes "if you're thinking of living in" articles. Some are older articles from the 80's, some more current - all are great reads I think. Here's what I found on LI through a quick scan of the first 35 pages (out of About 34,500 results):

----------

Massapequa Park - If You're Thinking of Living In/Massapequa Park - A Classic, Well-Kept South Shore Suburb - NYTimes.com

Rockville Centre - If You're Thinking of Living In/Rockville Centre - A Community Not Easily Pigeonholed - NYTimes.com

Garden City - If You're Thinking of Living In/Garden City; A Model Village With a Rare Squabble

Great Neck - If You're Thinking of Living In/Great Neck - Great Site for Schools, Parks and Trains - NYTimes.com

New Hyde Park - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN - NEW HYDE PARK - NYTimes.com

Port Washington - If you're thinking of living in - - PORT WASHINGTON - NYTimes.com

Oyster Bay - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN - Oyster Bay - NYTimes.com

Huntington - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN - HUNTINGTON - NYTimes.com

Five Towns - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN - FIVE TOWNS - NYTimes.com

Kings Point - If You're Thinking of Living In/Kings Point, L.I. - Where Gatsby Could Still Be Comfortable - NYTimes.com

Lindenhurst - If You're Thinking of Living In/Lindenhurst, L.I. - An Involved Village on Great South Bay - NYTimes.com

Franklin Square - If You're Thinking of Living In/Franklin Square, N.Y. - A Stable, Low-Key, Middle-Class Hamlet - NYTimes.com

Massapequa - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN - MASSAPEQUA - NYTimes.com

Baldwin - If You're Thinking of Living In/Baldwin - Solidly Middle Class, but Still Diverse - NYTimes.com

Cold Spring Harbor - If You're Thinking of Living in - Cold Spring Harbor - NYTimes.com

Uniondale - If You're Thinking of Living In/Uniondale - A Place to Start Living the Suburban Life - NYTimes.com

----------

If you want to go through more of them, google "if you're thinking of living in" or go to Nytimes website and search there. I found google to be easier actually by including site:nytimes.com after the search. If you want me to look up a specific town (if you can't find it through the search feature, Direct Message me or ask here and I will search for it). Feel free to add your town in a reply post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Seanx4 had a good idea on a thread, so I decided to try to find as many articles as I could from NyTimes "if you're thinking of living in" articles. Some are older articles from the 80's, some more current - all are great reads I think. Here's what I found on LI through a quick scan of the first 35 pages (out of About 34,500 results):

----------

Massapequa Park - If You're Thinking of Living In/Massapequa Park - A Classic, Well-Kept South Shore Suburb - NYTimes.com

Rockville Centre - If You're Thinking of Living In/Rockville Centre - A Community Not Easily Pigeonholed - NYTimes.com

Garden City - If You're Thinking of Living In/Garden City; A Model Village With a Rare Squabble

Great Neck - If You're Thinking of Living In/Great Neck - Great Site for Schools, Parks and Trains - NYTimes.com

New Hyde Park - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN - NEW HYDE PARK - NYTimes.com

Port Washington - If you're thinking of living in - - PORT WASHINGTON - NYTimes.com

Oyster Bay - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN - Oyster Bay - NYTimes.com

Huntington - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN - HUNTINGTON - NYTimes.com

Five Towns - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN - FIVE TOWNS - NYTimes.com

Kings Point - If You're Thinking of Living In/Kings Point, L.I. - Where Gatsby Could Still Be Comfortable - NYTimes.com

Lindenhurst - If You're Thinking of Living In/Lindenhurst, L.I. - An Involved Village on Great South Bay - NYTimes.com

Franklin Square - If You're Thinking of Living In/Franklin Square, N.Y. - A Stable, Low-Key, Middle-Class Hamlet - NYTimes.com

Massapequa - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN - MASSAPEQUA - NYTimes.com

Baldwin - If You're Thinking of Living In/Baldwin - Solidly Middle Class, but Still Diverse - NYTimes.com

Cold Spring Harbor - If You're Thinking of Living in - Cold Spring Harbor - NYTimes.com

Uniondale - If You're Thinking of Living In/Uniondale - A Place to Start Living the Suburban Life - NYTimes.com

----------

If you want to go through more of them, google "if you're thinking of living in" or go to Nytimes website and search there. I found google to be easier actually by including site:nytimes.com after the search. If you want me to look up a specific town (if you can't find it through the search feature, Direct Message me or ask here and I will search for it). Feel free to add your town in a reply post.
Awesome

Thanks for taking the time to do this Peqs.

Crooks

Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Awesome

Thanks for taking the time to do this Peqs.

Crooks
no problem. I looked for RP, but no go. You should do one on it.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,897 times
Wow did you read about Wynadanch and New Cassel...sounds almost like paradise

"Wyandanch feels suburban: small, close-set houses on narrow streets, mostly well-kept lawns, trees, dogs, children on bikes and cars in driveways. There are some dead-end streets, south of the train tracks and just north of Wyandanch Park, that feel a little more secluded, and are sometimes called the “tree streets” — Cypress, Hickory, Spruce, and so on"

Almost makes me want to pack up and move there

Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,512,685 times
Wow, nice! I just did a search myself and I came up with older results too... wonder why that is? I searched places that I know have been recently (like within the last 3 years) featured in this section, but only got their 1980s counterparts.

BigMike50 is right though, nothing has really changed too drastically. Pretty much all of the information in that nearly 28 year old Five Towns article (aside from the prices) is still accurate.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:18 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Wow can you gather anymore outdated information than that on one page
Most of those archives were written 20 + years ago. We are in the age of the internet now... That was kind of like going back home for me and looking through my Mom's encyclopedia britannica form the mid 80's . But then again not much has changed on L.I. over the last 25 years like most said....so maybe that stuff is appropriate for this day and age. Did anyone read those.....every place sounds like utopia. No mention of Civil servant's salaries and benefits, high taxes, traffic, banging in the 6th boro, etc, won't go over here on this board that well...just sayin'
You have to admit, it's sometimes fun to look back to see what has/hasn't changed or to see how some places have a distorted or PC description.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:18 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,512,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/re...JGlkxwpMqEnu9w

Wow did you read about Wynadanch and New Cassel...sounds almost like paradise

"Wyandanch feels suburban: small, close-set houses on narrow streets, mostly well-kept lawns, trees, dogs, children on bikes and cars in driveways. There are some dead-end streets, south of the train tracks and just north of Wyandanch Park, that feel a little more secluded, and are sometimes called the “tree streets” — Cypress, Hickory, Spruce, and so on"

Almost makes me want to pack up and move there
I think that's all correct, although misleading completely out of context. Does Wyandanch feel urban to you? Or rural? "Suburban" doesn't imply any kind of inherent safety or wealth.

The first few paragraphs talk about how some motorcycle club has set up shop, "in a neighborhood that needs them" and high poverty rates. Isn't it pretty obvious to most people that any place which NEEDS a motorcycle club to fix it's problems probably isn't too hot?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:38 AM

64 posts, read 194,622 times
Here are 3 I've read this week that were both recent and pretty informative (I think):

Farmingdale: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/re...ewanted=1&_r=2

Babylon: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/re...l?ref=livingin

Greenlawn: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/27/re...l?ref=livingin

Last edited by TheBS19; 02-03-2011 at 10:04 AM..

Old 02-03-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You have to admit, it's sometimes fun to look back to see what has/hasn't changed or to see how some places have a distorted or PC description.
OBH

So true...like that 30yo Newsday article that was published here a few weeks ago.....The more somethings change the more they stay the same..sometimes

Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBS19 View Post
Here are 3 I've read this week that were both recent and pretty informative (I think):

Farmingdale: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/re...2&pagewanted=2

Babylon: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/re...l?ref=livingin

Greenlawn: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/27/re...l?ref=livingin

Yes one would like to believe ..something published recently like Farmingdale last week....would be more accurate than one published 25 years or even 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island