Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:10 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequadude View Post
Go ask any verizon employee.
I am. NO,,verizon is not leaving. Layoffs are another thing. But vzfios is here to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
it was a 30 year verizon veteran that told me.
He's an a$$, and a liar.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:28 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
So is this essentially allowing the board of the village to pick and choose which services will be available to it's residents?

How disgusting... I hope Verizon sues the Town of Babylon.

Thay can use that cushy $20,000 in lawyers fees.
why would verizon sue the town of babylon? This is the village of babylon AND Verizon chose not to deal with the village. So why would verizon sue them . They themselves chose not to also get a deal with them.

VErizon chose to stop their roll out . Heck in my condo development i am stuck with cablevision because verizon refuses to upgrade their stuff. I cannot even get dsl.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:27 PM

94 posts, read 255,902 times
Verizon is not selling off FIOS on LI, your 30 year vet is probably a CWA member (Most long term management left with the package of 2003) which rumors spread like wildfire in a contract year (YES August the Unions contract is up) Verizon sold off all assets in which they could not provide FIOS services because it doesnt make sense to keep a dead line of business (Landline Copper). They will most likely try to push FIOS services in those areas via their 4G LTE network. Last two years their has been a huge push for Fiber to the Cell.

What is happening is techs in Long Island are being assigned to different locations where there is a need to deploy FIOS services...

The only thing I am aware of that Verizon is selling on Long Island (as well as the rest of their footprint) is their real estate. They are consolidating buildings and allowing some of their workforce to telecommute.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1122 View Post
Verizon is not selling off FIOS on LI, your 30 year vet is probably a CWA member (Most long term management left with the package of 2003) which rumors spread like wildfire in a contract year (YES August the Unions contract is up) Verizon sold off all assets in which they could not provide FIOS services because it doesnt make sense to keep a dead line of business (Landline Copper). They will most likely try to push FIOS services in those areas via their 4G LTE network. Last two years their has been a huge push for Fiber to the Cell.

What is happening is techs in Long Island are being assigned to different locations where there is a need to deploy FIOS services...

The only thing I am aware of that Verizon is selling on Long Island (as well as the rest of their footprint) is their real estate. They are consolidating buildings and allowing some of their workforce to telecommute.
Telecommute from here in the USA or laying off those in the USA and hiring those who can telecommute from the third world?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:01 PM

338 posts, read 777,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baabaabooey View Post
Actually Einstein, cable plays the same game, you can usually talk your way out of it if you have a half a brain

The fact that Verizon does this is good news for the customers that have good credit. If some deadbeat defaults, that helps drive up costs for us. Kudos to Verizon for taking initiative.

I heard you were an engineer? So please tell us, how many fries can you fit in the frier before it affects the boiling point of the grease? I assume you're qualified to answer this.

Oh and I'll have that to go.

no they dont. they dont charge me a deposit on a box. they never had a contract that forced you to pay if you left and your bill doesnt teeter totter like verizon's.

how does my credit effect you? please educate me! if im late on a credit card payment, how on god green earth will it cost you?? please, enlighten me!!!!

Old 03-31-2011, 01:09 PM

53 posts, read 86,772 times
Quote:
no they dont. they dont charge me a deposit on a box. they never had a contract that forced you to pay if you left and your bill doesnt teeter totter like verizon's.

how does my credit effect you? please educate me! if im late on a credit card payment, how on god green earth will it cost you?? please, enlighten me!!!!
They most certainly did try a "contract" where they gave you a stabilized rate with a termination fee, again, you could easily talk your way out of it.

I have yet to see where their bill "teeters". I know they had major billing issues in the beginning. Those to the best of my knowledge have been resolved. I've had it for about 2 years now, trouble free.

As for your credit...did I say your credit affects me? NO. But it is a fact that people who default on any and everything as seems to be their right and people like you take advantage of that, those individuals have helped drive up the cost on just about everything under the sun.

A company that weeds out these undesirables is dilligently saving itself some headaches, thus, the cost will not trickle down to those who actually pay their bills.

Maybe the cops can ticket you for having bad credit too

Old 03-31-2011, 01:57 PM

94 posts, read 255,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Telecommute from here in the USA or laying off those in the USA and hiring those who can telecommute from the third world?
Here in the USA, Verizon has had DataCenters and workers in India for at least a decade.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac1122 View Post
Here in the USA, Verizon has had DataCenters and workers in India for at least a decade.
Why do they keep anyone in the USA when it comes to telecommuting?

Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,623 times
Last Tuesday:

Quote:
verizon is leaving long island, just to let you know.
Last Wednesday:

Originally Posted by pequadude
Quote:
verizon isnt leaving long island, just getting out of the internet and tv deal. theyre trying to sell it off.
Today:

And, YOU are leaving me (and perhaps, others) confused...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island