Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:31 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,491,886 times

Advertisements

If I had to leave Long Island I would rather go West or North even than South.

I never really felt at ease in the South except for in Fort Myers, FL. Parts of South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia and Virginia were down right scary as were the interior areas of Florida like LaBelle and Clewiston. Also, there is no scenery at all along the southern Atlantic seaboard. I've been to Raleigh and I thought it OK, but nothing great. The best place in the south I believe is Bethesda, MD - very sophisticated, but very expensive.

The West, and I'm talking about west of the Mississippi, was altogether amazingly fresh to someone like me from Long Island. The wide open spaces and endless blue skies were awesome. My favoite places were Ogden, UT - small city, but very clean and orderly. Des Moines, IA - great German food. For some reason I liked Nebraska - nothing there, flat, but it was fun to drive through. Oregon - great place, especially the coast - Florence, OR is the best. Portland, OR was like a bad immitation of New York - so I was unimpressed. I hated driving there - far more confusing than NYC. I'd definitely move to someplace along the Oregon Coast and I think it would be Florence..

I might even try going further north, but not upstate NY. Vermont is very scenic and has many clean nice small towns. Upstate NY is a dump in comparison. I also like the fact that Vermont has an independent political streak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 08:17 PM

18 posts, read 59,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsprufera View Post
A good recommendation is Raleigh NC. My children aren't in taught in trailers but have magent and charter school opportunities that LI's don't have. Great place for education, jobs, housing- buying and selling and for a healthy PRO Business climate.

Forbes just rated Raleigh the best city for Jobs in March and the best place to sell a home in July 07-and the best city for business in July/07. The more Northerners the merrier- Plenty of land and opportunities- No Pine Barrens Association or Anti Business issues!
This is true. Raleigh and the rest of the triangle area has been getting good reviews from Forbes for about 2 yrs now.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:33 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,698,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsprufera View Post
A good recommendation is Raleigh NC. My children aren't in taught in trailers but have magent and charter school opportunities that LI's don't have. Great place for education, jobs, housing- buying and selling and for a healthy PRO Business climate.

Forbes just rated Raleigh the best city for Jobs in March and the best place to sell a home in July 07-and the best city for business in July/07. The more Northerners the merrier- Plenty of land and opportunities- No Pine Barrens Association or Anti Business issues!
Yes, but at this time with the extreme growth particularly concentrating in the Wake County area, the county is dealing with the overcrowded school issue. And not everyone will have a magnet school available for them.
Charter schools on average will have a waiting list.

Along with the growth brings competition for employment. Many people relocated here without jobs, and are still without jobs. Therefore, it is always best to research employment in your career field to see what is available.

And we may not have the Pine Barrens issues, but we do have other restrictions depending on which towns and areas.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:59 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,828,067 times
Take your time and think about what you like about LI and what you don’t. Then think about what you’d like in a new area and then look them up and visit some a couple of times. Judge for your self, not by what others say, especially the ones who are on one extreme end or the other end. Those lists are helpful, but take them with a grain of salt as the Money list just put Baldwin as one of the best places in the county to live. Nothing against Baldwin, but if I was moving somewhere, Baldwin would not be on that list.

Consider everything – food, TV (local news and stuff), amenities, weather, taxes, jobs, etc…

I’d say if NY food is big part of your life, attending NY sports teams games, going to NYC or the beach frequently, moving my not be for you. The food thing might level out as more NYers move to a specific area, but the others may not for you if you like all that other stuff.

Moving to the Charlotte area, we’ve found that most of the stuff that we did on LI we can do here. Although I worked in NYC, we rarely went there any other times. The same for the beaches, Met games (too expensive) and other stuff too. We were not going to let the lack of NY style bagels and pizza stop us from moving on, although both are not bad here since a lot of NYers moved here to supply those items.

You would be surprised that a lot of salaries are the same or more in other areas of the county. That helps when you mortgage and taxes are a lot less. Wearing shorts from March to November isn’t bad either. Taxes for me are 1/6 of what they were on LI. Schools in Union County are overcrowded, but they plan on building 10 new schools in the next 10 years to ease that. Yes, taxes may go up, but they will not be anything near what they are on LI.

But don’t go into an area thinking it will be like LI/NYC or the next NYC, because then you will be disappointed.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,781 times
I moved to Columbus, Ohio and the cost of Living is nothing like NY. I am from Roosevelt New York. I lived there 28 years and decided to venture out by faith and move somewhere I never seen b4. In the beginning it was hard, not knowing anyone but I got used to it. Rent here is $200 a month for 2 bedrooms, if you would like more details just let me know. Thanks d

Old 08-08-2007, 01:01 PM

22 posts, read 100,558 times
why do so many people think that NY/LI is the best place on earth? Is it really that different and better than every other place on the planet? I was born and raised here and I am so ready to leave. Is there something that I am missing?? I don't get it. The high real estate, high property taxes, increasing crime, overcrowding, ugliness, pollution, etc...

Old 08-08-2007, 01:12 PM

289 posts, read 1,141,504 times
Well, I guess because what it all comes down to is that beauty (desirability) is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:02 PM

81 posts, read 350,476 times
4 Cups really wants to leave but he's hoping to hang in long enough to see the fish sticks get a real stadium.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:41 PM

289 posts, read 1,141,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder94 View Post
4 Cups really wants to leave but he's hoping to hang in long enough to see the fish sticks get a real stadium.
Hark, methinks I heareth the dulcet tones of a Rangers fan! LOL

Well in that case I have no worries, I'll be here the rest of my life just like I planned, simply because Nassau County is involved in it all..

You guys are just smug because you snatched up Drury AND Gomez (yeah yeah, AND kept Shanny AND Jagr AND yes I'm resigned to the sad fact that we may win one of our matchups with you this season if we're lucky *sigh*)

Maybe we'll pick up Avery next summer as a UFA, depending on whether he's still p***ed off over those arbitration comments. ;-)

Old 08-08-2007, 06:52 PM

8,001 posts, read 9,203,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4StanleyCups View Post
Hark, methinks I heareth the dulcet tones of a Rangers fan! LOL

Well in that case I have no worries, I'll be here the rest of my life just like I planned, simply because Nassau County is involved in it all..

You guys are just smug because you snatched up Drury AND Gomez (yeah yeah, AND kept Shanny AND Jagr AND yes I'm resigned to the sad fact that we may win one of our matchups with you this season if we're lucky *sigh*)

Maybe we'll pick up Avery next summer as a UFA, depending on whether he's still p***ed off over those arbitration comments. ;-)
But, we've got Jon Sims! Too bad we didn't get Sy Syms, at least the team would dress nice (and cheap too)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island