Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:44 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Yes, but the vitriol on this board appears personalized. You can't blame individual teachers for taking what they can get.
I don't hold it against anyone to get what they can. However, when it raises the taxes of my neighbors by 100% in the past 7 years then I take issue with that. I see too many people struggling and they could really use that 5-6,000 that they have watched their taxes rise by.

That, and just the blatant lack of sensitivity by teachers. The only way you get them to concede anything is when the public outrage is at lynch mob levels. Then they think that putting off a future salary increase should put them on the short list for martyrdom. Actually, the reaction from teachers probably bugs me more than the salaries by themselves.

Teachers could go from Villains to Heros overnight if they all came out and took 10% paycuts and started paying for a portion of their benefits/pensions. Then they would be put back where they belong, which is a place of great respect. I have great respect for the teachers across the US that work for very little and still want to teach. I don't have the same respect for the Long Island teachers that are willing to see fellow teachers laid off just so they can keep their luxurious lifestyles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 02:45 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Yup. Its the same story over and over and over. Nothing will change if people dont go out and VOTE and get involved. Go to the school board meetings. Express your concern. People are waking up..slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
Wow, my sibling is a music teacher in elementary school and i just learned they make $108,000. That's nuts! I hate to say it, but way over paid!

Old 04-07-2011, 02:56 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMonster View Post
Stop your elitist nonsense. A union is necessary because of the corruption and nepotism within school districts. I am in charge of my own career and use a union to protect my rights as a worker/teacher. If we gave up trade unions, our salaries, benefits, and pensions would go away. In addition, a union protects us against arbitrary firing due to an administrator needing his niece/nephew a job. Obviously, teachers are the intelligent ones who are doing very well for themselves.
No problem, we the taxpayers elect to keep the same contract in place, ad infintum. Same salary for the next 30 years, we'll let inflation have its way with you. Have a nice day, ya hear!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:04 PM

481 posts, read 1,060,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
No one would care what we pay teachers if the rest of the American middle class wages rose in accordance.
I know it chaps every teabaggers ass about what were spending, anyone else care to weigh in on what were earning?
Sounds like your engineer friend is underpaid like the rest of us 98 Percenters.
Bottom line. Levittown needs a raise and East Hampton needs to pony up quick or the Country is going to fail. I'm done with hating the Cops for making 180k or the Teachers either making 6 figures for 9 months work.Maybe they were smart enough to organize while the rest of us took it in the pooper and the top 2% ran away with our dreams due to tax code that puts dividends before labor. WTF is wrong with us. I often think of Levittown as the birth of the American Dream. Good God have we failed us. The bottom line is that since Bonzo busted the unions in 80 the Middle Class has been on a greased pole to hell ever since. Look at this dump. The wealthy and the woeful and the indifference that binds.

Lazy money...Epic fail.

Crooks
Sadly my engineer friend is making top dollar compared to many others. The same old story of the private sector getting nickled and dimed (trickle down in action ).

Old 04-07-2011, 03:05 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
if your school boad does not dramatically cut the number of school district administrators - they are not trying to save your money. The governor says their numbers are up 30% and the enrollment is down. Hello?

Old 04-07-2011, 03:29 PM

74 posts, read 207,477 times
Let me address a few issues:

First off, I definitely am a teacher, and have said so in many prior posts.

Second: Look at the teachers who are not in unions. They are way underpaid, abused, and are in terrible positions. I was hired by a Catholic school instantly and of course turned it down to be hired in a public school because of the salary, benefits, and pension.

Third: There are many teachers that go far beyond the call of regular teaching hours and do much for the benefit of the students. For example, during Regents Review, I stay after from 2-5 every week to make sure that every student is able to pass. There are unpaid hours and often go purposefully (and not) overlooked by the general population.

Fourth: Teachers have taken concession in districts to help the students as well as their fellow teachers. We took a pay freeze as well as a pay cut last year in my school district.

Fifth: Schools will not “do more with less.†They will do less with less. They will cut teachers, after school programs, and students will have a barebones education.

Sixth: Believe it or not, teachers pay property tax too.

Seventh: Teachers do pay into their pensions as well as their healthcare. Each district is different though. All school districts have different contracts and negotiations with their teachers. Teachers fund their own pensions 86%. Look up the stats yourself.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:35 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK210 View Post
Why don't you people start doing something about all this?

It doesn't take much, just go out and vote NO on the school budget. Please kept ignoring and letting it go and this is where the budget ended up.

Once there are no increases to the budget, they will learn to do more with less.
I grew up in a district were the budget was almost voted down every year. On years an agreement couldn't be reached before school started we the students would sit in the gym because the teachers were on strike.

I don't think the lesson of doing more with less was every learned...

Old 04-07-2011, 03:38 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
Sadly my engineer friend is making top dollar compared to many others. The same old story of the private sector getting nickled and dimed (trickle down in action ).
BTW That trickle down thing....was pee pee.

YouTube - DRI - reaganomics

Old 04-07-2011, 03:41 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
Quote:

Sixth: Believe it or not, teachers pay property tax too.

Yes, and you get it all back in your pay, lifetime pension and benefits. You, the teachers, get it back many, many times over. The rest of us are shelling out the same RE taxes and we don't get any of it back. At all.

So, PreciousMonster, keep on defending that teacher bubble of yours with its pyramid scheme that will eventually come to a halt. All pyramid schemes come to an end when the money dries up.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Let me address a few issues:
Second: Look at the teachers who are not in unions. They are way underpaid, abused, and are in terrible positions. I was hired by a Catholic school instantly and of course turned it down to be hired in a public school because of the salary, benefits, and pension.
Faith based facilities have always paid low wages regardless of faith, position or location. You seem to assume that not having a union automatically leads to a abusive work enviroment for educators. Of course with the union mentality if a teacher is asked to remain 10 minutes beyond their contractual obligation then it's time to go to war because "thats not in your contract".

I work with teachers who have worked in union schools systems and they all say the same thing "Never Again!". So I guess there are those that feel more than treated fair when they are non-union....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island