Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 10 days ago)

8,825 posts, read 21,311,643 times

Advertisements

My entire property tax is less than $1200 a year. I think when it comes to per student funding we are 49th in the states. A few years ago we were even below Puerto Rico.

..... but what are the school like there?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 08:23 PM

929 posts, read 2,070,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
My entire property tax is less than $1200 a year. I think when it comes to per student funding we are 49th in the states. A few years ago we were even below Puerto Rico. It is like we are at the extreme.
Blasphemy. The NYS teacher's union has told me that less then 25k/year per student is akin to child abuse. You are horrible people for not giving everything for the teachers....ummm children.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 PM

448 posts, read 852,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
Blasphemy. The NYS teacher's union has told me that less then 25k/year per student is akin to child abuse. You are horrible people for not giving everything for the teachers....ummm children.
Believe me, I think there needs to be a happy medium to student funding. Arizona is considered to be work state so even when there are school districts with unions they certainly don't have the bite that they do on Long Island. They have recently voted to stop tenure here in the state so school districts are scrambling to what they are going to use.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,773,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne teacher View Post
It is in the UFT (NYC) contract as well, but MANY classes are over. Last year we had the same issue as well. I am at the middle school level, and I have heard that the high schools are even worse.
Certainly not the case here with class sizes.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:36 AM

57,410 posts, read 26,359,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
Believe me, I think there needs to be a happy medium to student funding. Arizona is considered to be work state so even when there are school districts with unions they certainly don't have the bite that they do on Long Island. They have recently voted to stop tenure here in the state so school districts are scrambling to what they are going to use.
Arizona has a student to teacher ratio of around 20 to 1, NY is 13 to 1 but that number is driven down in NY because of Special Ed. That being old data and with the budget cuts going on since last year in NY, those numbers are probably not realistic. Interestingly that the HS graduation rates are the same in both states, but that is misleading in NY because a good percentage of the grads are not really grads, and end up in remedial courses in college.

Good website below for information:

State Profiles Home Page

Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 AM

448 posts, read 852,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
My entire property tax is less than $1200 a year. I think when it comes to per student funding we are 49th in the states. A few years ago we were even below Puerto Rico.

..... but what are the school like there?
Oh, I think they are worse here. That is why I think there needs to be a happy medium between property taxes and education. It can't go only in one direction. (Either really high or low) Many school districts voted down bond issues here that did not raise taxes but kept the tax basis as is.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:31 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,480,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Arizona has a student to teacher ratio of around 20 to 1, NY is 13 to 1 but that number is driven down in NY because of Special Ed. That being old data and with the budget cuts going on since last year in NY, those numbers are probably not realistic. Interestingly that the HS graduation rates are the same in both states, but that is misleading in NY because a good percentage of the grads are not really grads, and end up in remedial courses in college.

State Profiles Home Page
Please, I know a teacher who is the second fully certified teacher in the room and she is responsible for THREE kids. Hell, I get more people on Life Support to be responisble for then her.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:30 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,345,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
Some time in the near future Long Island is going to realize that its no longer about the children anymore....

Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,350,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Some time in the near future Long Island is going to realize that its no longer about the children anymore....
Today we are thinking alike at the same moment in time. See what I just posted in "sorry teachers, I just did the math ..."

Old 05-11-2011, 11:50 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,345,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

State Profiles Home Page
How can a state like Texas have twice the number of students, a worse student to pupil ratio, a lot less libraries can show the same educational score as NY ????
Similar story with Florida....

This is absolute B.S.....

I refuse to accept this study, I can only accept the survey/study/publication that shows NY to be better than the rest.

I mean cmon there are 50 elite students from a selected bunch of elite Long Island schools among 100 finalists for some science talent contest every year, if that doesn't prove that the average student on LI is better than the rest of the country then what will ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island