Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:23 PM

324 posts, read 335,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY1984 View Post
Because that's what I like. I can just turn around and say people who like fast food restaurants are snobby towards fine dining. That's not a very strong argument.
What about people who like fast food restaurants AND fine dining?

Last edited by ABACAB; 04-27-2011 at 08:09 PM..

Old 04-27-2011, 07:24 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
I guess that makes sense--the further east you go from the city, the more people will be anti-NYC and/or know very little about it.
I agree.

Most folks in the Hamptons/NoFo have no interest in NYC.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:24 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
I'm confused, what's sophisticated or open minded about knocking people who don't travel to Manhattan much? It's funny, because that's about the most close minded "why aren't you snobby like me" post I've seen. What's so sophisticated about the OP? They don't like chain restaurants. That's snobbish, not sophisticated!

Maybe those people don't like the BS you have to deal with in the city. The snotty people, the general lack of care for other human beings, the stench, the ridiculous lack of convenience, the 140 degree subway in the summer, and the snooty 26 year olds who think their better then everyone else because they put an apt # after their address.

Personally, I lived in the city for quite a while. Way over rated! You pay through the nose for conveniences that everyone else in the country takes for granted. You want a car? Yeah, right! You want to park it? Try driving around for an hour looking for parking! You want a grocery store for a gallon of milk? It'll take you 45 minutes. Want to get around? Leave two hours to go anywhere outside of a direct line or your immediate area. Like two people in the kitchen at the same time? Better have a cool million dollars to drop down on that 1 bedroom with a view of a bus stop. Like doing stuff? Best have a Black card, because almost anything that is worth doing is going to cost you through the nose.

Thanks, I'll take my unsophisticated neighbors, their small minded views, and their desire for comfort, security, convenience, space, relaxation, and novelty fast food establishments.
What is unsophisticated is seeing things in black and white, as you are now. It's not an either/or proposition.

But as long as we're talking about city vs. suburbia, I can always trot out the gross lack of professionalism I've encountered in every office I've been exposed to on Long Island, that I've never experienced in a city office or in an office in DMV (DC/MD/VA).

To witness:

--Asking me my marital status on a job interview

--Asking me who I voted for and what my political leanings are

--Expecting me to work on a project before I'm on payroll

--Not having a desk, phone, or computer the day I start

--Going back on benefits noted in an offer letter

--Sexist, racist jokes laden with foul language

--Nepotism

--Yelling (although I do realize that yelling--and nepotism--occurs in offices everywhere, just that I have not experienced it anywhere but Long Island)

--Running commentary by a boss about how fat his secretary is

--Belching

--Unrestrained flatulence

But I guess expecting adults to behave like adults in the workplace is elitist of me.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:50 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,637 times
Quote:
I don't think Garden City comes close in terms of their residents/shopping/dining than areas like Park Slope or Brooklyn heights.
You're kidding right? Ok, I might know a little about the Slope, since I was a resident for quite a while. It was a great area that has been over run with McClaren pushing yuppies that will run you off the sidewalk in their effort to make the public communal breast feeding at the local pizzeria of choice. Park Slope has about as much sophistication as IKEA.

As to food, the only restaurant worth it's salt is Cafe Steinhoff. Best schnitzel....ever!

What's so special about a bunch of young yuppies that move there to have children because of the large surplus of Jamaican nannies available before they realize that their children are deprived of the basic necessities of childhood and move to New Jersey?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
What is unsophisticated is seeing things in black and white, as you are now. It's not an either/or proposition.

But as long as we're talking about city vs. suburbia, I can always trot out the gross lack of professionalism I've encountered in every office I've been exposed to on Long Island, that I've never experienced in a city office or in an office in DMV (DC/MD/VA).

To witness:

--Nepotism

--Yelling (although I do realize that yelling--and nepotism--occurs in offices everywhere, just that I have not experienced it anywhere but Long Island)

--Belching

But I guess expecting adults to behave like adults in the workplace is elitist of me.
Maybe all of the above is indicative of the caliber of employer that values your skill set, and not indicative of LI?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:55 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long island POSTER View Post
how can "tastes" b subjective?

is it more valid/sophistic8ed 2 b passionate abt sonic hamburgers
going 2 the mall
wearing sunglasses n singing along 2 miley ciryus "partyin USA" in ur car
lovin 2 watch the housewives of real new jersey
talkin abt it 2 ur best friends (from where u used 2 live) on facebook

as it is 2 enjoy goin 2 broadway plays
readin books by "david foster wallice"
havin political bumper stickers
eating at azn fusion sit-down restaurants

do u think that all of these things r "valid human xperience" that speaks 2 r condition and lets us kno wat it means 2 b alive?

i don't rly kno...
Depends on the person. For me, the more I experience of life and the more well-rounded I am, the happier and more fulfilled I am. My only regret is the brevity of the human lifespan, because I want to do, see, and experience more than 70-odd years and not being a bazillionaire will allow.

Others may feel differently, and that is their prerogative. I just find it a bit sad when people assume that because one is well-traveled, well-educated, and well-rounded, that one is also an unholy snot. Well, "don't knock it 'til you try it" goes in both directions.

I have a close friend who has lived in several countries and traveled to dozens more, speaks five languages, and knows more about art, opera, antiques, religion, philosophy, gourmet cooking, fine wine, and politics than I ever will, and the day he became a U.S. citizen, I bought him a six-pack of Budweiser.

"Hey, you're an American now. You have to drink one. It's a rule."

His response: "Wonderful. Nice and cold. But it's in a bottle. I thought it was supposed to be in a can."

Now that's well-rounded.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:

To witness:

--Nepotism

--Belching

It's probably all the Sonic and Taco Bell in our diets.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I just find it a bit sad when people assume that because one is well-traveled, well-educated, and well-rounded, that one is also an unholy snot.
The OP was called an "elitist" because he chose to bash those who enjoy sonic or don't enjoy going to the city, not because he's well-traveled or well-educated.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:06 PM

401 posts, read 944,910 times
Quote:
That's what I mean. Why not live in anywhere suburb USA if you don't take advantage of the city with your kids? I know people are pressed for time, but they can't constantly be busy. And I know it's expensive, but there are tons of free things to do there.

I'm always shocked when a friend asks me what street is Penn station on when they play on taking the LIRR. This is how clueless people can be.
Ever go out east? North Fork?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:17 PM

401 posts, read 944,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
I'm confused, what's sophisticated or open minded about knocking people who don't travel to Manhattan much? It's funny, because that's about the most close minded "why aren't you snobby like me" post I've seen. What's so sophisticated about the OP? They don't like chain restaurants. That's snobbish, not sophisticated!

Maybe those people don't like the BS you have to deal with in the city. The snotty people, the general lack of care for other human beings, the stench, the ridiculous lack of convenience, the 140 degree subway in the summer, and the snooty 26 year olds who think their better then everyone else because they put an apt # after their address.

Personally, I lived in the city for quite a while. Way over rated! You pay through the nose for conveniences that everyone else in the country takes for granted. You want a car? Yeah, right! You want to park it? Try driving around for an hour looking for parking! You want a grocery store for a gallon of milk? It'll take you 45 minutes. Want to get around? Leave two hours to go anywhere outside of a direct line or your immediate area. Like two people in the kitchen at the same time? Better have a cool million dollars to drop down on that 1 bedroom with a view of a bus stop. Like doing stuff? Best have a Black card, because almost anything that is worth doing is going to cost you through the nose.

Thanks, I'll take my unsophisticated neighbors, their small minded views, and their desire for comfort, security, convenience, space, relaxation, and novelty fast food establishments.
...so well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island