Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:29 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,334,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
I think you guys unfairly bash poor neighborhoods. Name one poor country/neighborhood that is in GOOD condition? Where should people get money from to maintain their property? have you guys ever took a close look at a poor individual and see the poverty in their face?

Sure certain parts of hempstead does not look good, and I wouldnt live in those areas, but we have to understand and have some sympathy for these areas. There will always be poor people in this world. There will always be poor people everywhere you go. Even in the great Garden City..I am sure there is an area where you dont get the same feel as certain parts. There has to be a place for the poor.
Though I kinda do understand what your getting at, even if you are 'financially-limited' than there is still no excuse to not at least keep up with your house; I mean if you can't afford an over-the-top renovation or professional landscaping then that's fine but at least mow the lawn and be neat, clean and decent.

I wouldn't care how poor I was; I would still at least mow my lawn and make sure there's no garbage, toys, chairs, etc on the front lawn. C'mon, it's the Long Island way, if your not going to keep up with your house then find housing in the city where you have no obligation to maintain anything (not to mention it's usually cheaper anyways).

I'm sorry if I come off with having a bit of an "elitist" attitude but it's just one of my pet-peeves when I see an occupied house neglected (and it especially pisses me off when I see a fancy car parked in the driveway or able-bodied people doing nothing but hanging out and not improving anything).

There was a time in my life when my parents were lower-income and struggling financially but they always kept their house looking presentable.

(BTW: This post is not about Hempstead. I'm talking about lower-income people in general)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:52 PM

581 posts, read 1,245,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Though I kinda do understand what your getting at, even if you are 'financially-limited' than there is still no excuse to not at least keep up with your house; I mean if you can't afford an over-the-top renovation or professional landscaping then that's fine but at least mow the lawn and be neat, clean and decent.

I wouldn't care how poor I was; I would still at least mow my lawn and make sure there's no garbage, toys, chairs, etc on the front lawn. C'mon, it's the Long Island way, if your not going to keep up with your house then find housing in the city where you have no obligation to maintain anything (not to mention it's usually cheaper anyways).

I'm sorry if I come off with having a bit of an "elitist" attitude but it's just one of my pet-peeves when I see an occupied house neglected (and it especially pisses me off when I see a fancy car parked in the driveway or able-bodied people doing nothing but hanging out and not improving anything).

I do understand your side of things. But you cannot change certain mind set of people....and mowing lawn and painting walls are the last thing on a poor person's mind. There is also a saying, "birds of a feather flock together." While you may have one here and there who would try and upkeep their property, the vast majority will not. The young kids would rather hang out instead of sweeping the yard. The adults have no time for those chores because they are busy working at mcdonalds and walmart to buy food for the kids.

A lot of the members here have to really come out of their comfort zone to understand why some areas are bad/poor and stay that way.

In order for a neighborhood to change, there has to be people willing to move in and change it slowly. But with a message board like this, it wont happen. People here tend to blatantly tell people to stay away from an area for reason I dont know. For example, they will lump up all of Hempstead that it is bad, but not stating that certain areas are not. They will say an area is bad because it is of people with color. They will say an area is bad if it has people of color and there is one or two murders...but if that area is part of the elite, they will say its people from so and so area come in and commit the crime. As far as im concerned, if the crime happen in that area, its people from that area did it...unless proven otherwise.

But Long Islanders can't expect not to have poor areas.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 AM

20,955 posts, read 28,486,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post

There was a time in my life when my parents were lower-income and struggling financially but they always kept their house looking presentable.

(BTW: This post is not about Hempstead. I'm talking about lower-income people in general)
Very well put, I was thinking the same thing.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:44 AM

51 posts, read 257,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
I think you guys unfairly bash poor neighborhoods. Name one poor country/neighborhood that is in GOOD condition? Where should people get money from to maintain their property? have you guys ever took a close look at a poor individual and see the poverty in their face?

Sure certain parts of hempstead does not look good, and I wouldnt live in those areas, but we have to understand and have some sympathy for these areas. There will always be poor people in this world. There will always be poor people everywhere you go. Even in the great Garden City..I am sure there is an area where you dont get the same feel as certain parts. There has to be a place for the poor.
I understand where you’re coming from but at the same time I think these people should still have some level of self respect and respect for others. I don’t care how poor I was, I would not want to live in trash. What’s wrong with maintaining your property regardless of what the rest of the neighborhood looks like? I don’t know too much about Hempstead and I’m not one to bash, but it just seems to me that a lot of people there just don’t care, or gave up on caring. I don’t think it will matter how much revitalization is planned for the area if the schools are going to remain bad and crime continues to be rampant. Being poor doesn’t mean you have to lose your self respect.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:28 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,283,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
lol are you talking about Hempstead on L.I. ?

The Hempstead violent crime rate is 351% greater than the New York average and 172% greater than the national average.

Crimes per square mile in Hempstead is 409 in the state of N.Y. is 175 and the National average is 49

It has a Crime Index of 38 my town 95 out of 100 being the safest.

Before you move there or any other place for that matter...one should check out the local high school. It could tell you a lot .....

Hempstead is one of the least desirable towns to live in on the Island period end of story.

I wonder if there is a way to look up the proportion of inmates from a given area at a county jail. I've heard the ratio from Hempstead is telling.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:17 AM

330 posts, read 727,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balancedact View Post
I understand where you’re coming from but at the same time I think these people should still have some level of self respect and respect for others. I don’t care how poor I was, I would not want to live in trash. What’s wrong with maintaining your property regardless of what the rest of the neighborhood looks like? I don’t know too much about Hempstead and I’m not one to bash, but it just seems to me that a lot of people there just don’t care, or gave up on caring. I don’t think it will matter how much revitalization is planned for the area if the schools are going to remain bad and crime continues to be rampant. Being poor doesn’t mean you have to lose your self respect.
Bu a lot of the houses around Hempstead are very well maintained, and a some of them are really very, very nice looking. Yes, some people do not keep up their house. However, I grew up in and around Levittown and there were just as many unkempt houses mixed in with well kept houses.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:43 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,829,629 times
Hempstead isn't bad compared to hoods like Brownsville, Hunts Point, South Jamaica etc etc

Old 06-21-2012, 05:48 PM

796 posts, read 1,759,420 times
Some parts of Hempstead, such as along the main roads, have a "big city" feeling to them and it doesn't seem as bad, some of the residential sections are VERY run down and unsafe to be in (Even the sides bordering Garden City can be nasty, look at south from the intersection of Meadow Street and Lafayette Avenue on Google Earth or Google Maps). The schools are terrible; they have metal detectors to enter and only a small number of motivated students. There are many streets with long histories of crime and drug dealing. I do my best to avoid driving through Hempstead as much as possible.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:01 PM

449 posts, read 1,133,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
Some parts of Hempstead, such as along the main roads, have a "big city" feeling to them and it doesn't seem as bad, some of the residential sections are VERY run down and unsafe to be in (Even the sides bordering Garden City can be nasty, look at south from the intersection of Meadow Street and Lafayette Avenue on Google Earth or Google Maps). The schools are terrible; they have metal detectors to enter and only a small number of motivated students. There are many streets with long histories of crime and drug dealing. I do my best to avoid driving through Hempstead as much as possible.
I looked at the area you specified and doesn't seem like a bad area aesthetically.
However, you're right with the school district status...51% Graduation Rate! Lowest on the island...but also bear in mind that it's student pop. is 26% limited english proficient, 65% eligible fro free or reduced-price lunch, but wait...a 10.2% special ed classification rate (that's very low) ! https://reportcards.nysed.gov/school...9875&year=2011
but i also don't think metal detectors are a bad idea. All schools should have them, ensure the safety of their students.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:09 PM

796 posts, read 1,759,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
I looked at the area you specified and doesn't seem like a bad area aesthetically.
However, you're right with the school district status...51% Graduation Rate! Lowest on the island...but also bear in mind that it's student pop. is 26% limited english proficient, 65% eligible fro free or reduced-price lunch, but wait...a 10.2% special ed classification rate (that's very low) ! https://reportcards.nysed.gov/school...9875&year=2011
but i also don't think metal detectors are a bad idea. All schools should have them, ensure the safety of their students.
The area I specified just shows the stark differences between Garden City and Hempstead, it is not such a bad part of the village though.

As with the metal detectors, I think that it shows something about the student population if they even need to have metal detectors. Most schools dont and rarely ever have problems with such weapons.

Though some parts of Hempstead near GC are nice, like at 1st Street and Bedell Avenue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island