Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:35 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Racism isn't just relegated to LI. There are plenty of places within the country where one can encounter it as it's practiced by all creeds and colors. As long as someone is perceived as different to somebody else, there will never be a 'let's hold hands and sing Kumbaya' moment.
Honestly, I don't mind any controversial opinion; racist or not! But if you're going to be racist then at least be upfront about it because when you are then at least your being real. There's nobody I hate more than a fake person! (who smiles at you in the street then goes home and goes on stormfront)

I have more respect for Southern racists because they're more likely to be upfront about it and I can respect that because that's their actual true feelings, but here in the Northeast/New England, they're more likely to beat around the bush and wait until they get home to vent their racist opinions, that's just a sign of cowardice and weakness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 08:50 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,811 times
Racism has existed since the beginning of time. I don't think it will ever go away either. As long as they are not trying to harm me, my family/friends or anyone else, then let the racists be.

YouTube - ‪Racism in America - alive and well - New Black Panther party‬‏

Old 06-03-2011, 09:09 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,407 times
Oh nos the black panthers!!! Good lord Pequaman, I could gouge out my eyes and throw a dart in the direction of your post history while shunting blood and shouting prophecy like impious tiresias and i'd still hit a dumb post, it's like bobbing for water.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I have more respect for Southern racists because they're more likely to be upfront about it and I can respect that because that's their actual true feelings, but here in the Northeast/New England, they're more likely to beat around the bush and wait until they get home to vent their racist opinions, that's just a sign of cowardice and weakness.
What are your thoughts on The Best of Pastor Manning (version 1) ?

Do you respect Pastor Manning for expressing his true feelings?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
What are your thoughts on The Best of Pastor Manning (version 1) ?

Do you respect Pastor Manning for expressing his true feelings?
I DON'T AGREE with him but I would respect him more being open about than as if he were to go online and say his racist beliefs online in anonymity. When your open about something then at least you take accountability of it, own up to and stand by your comments.

AND I would feel the exact same way if Pastor Manning was of any other race.

As blunt as it sounds, I have more respect for somebody like Senator Robert Byrd than somebody with a user name like "ihatesthemdarkies47" who spouts ignorance in anonymity.

By the way: I'm not supporting open blatant racism but i'm just shedding light on how cowardice internet racism really is.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Honestly, I don't mind any controversial opinion; racist or not! But if you're going to be racist then at least be upfront about it because when you are then at least your being real. There's nobody I hate more than a fake person! (who smiles at you in the street then goes home and goes on stormfront)

Well let's call a spade a spade then. When we have the word racism thrust out there, it typically infers white people being racist and fails to note that other races are just as bad -- God bless their hearts.

Personally, I am sick of that crap. As a female I have dealt with the double standard, and as a white appearing person I have had the race card thrown in my face whenever I point out a person of another race is behaving badly. If the person is white, I am allowed to, but heaven forbid they're not.....

When the POTUS was running for his position, I was called a racist because I didn't agree with his policies. I didn't call him anything derogatory, respected his education but felt he was sorely lacking in experience. Nevermind the fact that the man, who self identifies as AA, is the offspring of a biracial marriage and I recognized him as such. Nevermind the fact that when one of my children had to do a book report for Black History month that he chose Derek Jeter because to him, he represented the best of both races. (FWIW said child dates outside our race and we love her.)

An extended family member, a pretty girl, very Hispanic in appearance, has a penchant for dating AA men who sing rap at local NYC venues. They treat her like garbage which could happen with white guys, too, but it all seems to be a direct extension of the rap lifestyle. (The whole bytches and hoes thing.)

I realize that as adults and in our schools we are trying to teach out children to respect one another, and that interracial dating should make no difference -- but when misguided twenty-somethings make the mistake of dating 50 cent wannabes and being treated like trash -- is that a positive step in eradicating racism? When young girls want to bear the children of men who have multiple baby mamas -- is this progress?

Aforementioned extended family member posted a video on her FB account of her friend's new biracial baby. She giggled as the white mother stroked the baby's hair and stated "_____ has white people hair." In the background the AA father said, "You F***** up bytch, shuddup."

BTW -- this is not on LI, but in NYS.

How does society go about eliminating racism? Sexism? Homophobia?

We should be lifting one another up and trying to better ourselves, but the young people who should be embracing a harmonious multiracial future are anything but.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Oh nos the black panthers!!! Good lord Pequaman, I could gouge out my eyes and throw a dart in the direction of your post history while shunting blood and shouting prophecy like impious tiresias and i'd still hit a dumb post, it's like bobbing for water.
The feelings mutual, 'lude . I could throw a dart in the direction of your post history and find instances of mass paste-jobs of other people's work, anger towards whites and society in general, and ignorance.

ps- When people resort to personal attacks to try to silence other's opinions, that's a sign of weakness.

You know the point I was trying to make to LongIslandPerson and his implication that racism is limited to groups such as stormfront or southern racists,. ie, implying that racism is a one-way-street when it's actually an 8 lane super-highway running both ways.
LiPerson seems fairly intelligent, I figured he would look at his own link (that he supplied on another thread) and see that even NYC is much more segregated than LI.
Bottom line- Racism (and people wanting to be with their own kind) exists everywhere in the world, period.

Here's that link - Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

pps- OBH makes some good points up above this post. +

Old 06-03-2011, 11:31 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,891 times
I don't see people asking where the white neighborhoods are, but I do see posts about needing a "diverse" neighborhood.

So long as you keep your house in order and don't bring the drama outside your home I don't care if your pink with purple polka dots.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:38 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Look at the whole recent thread on LB. Look at how the thread was constructed. Its obvious the purpose of the thread wasn't to seriously ask about what went on with the incident, but rather so a bunch of right wingers can take pot shots at minorities and liberals.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
The feelings mutual, 'lude . I could throw a dart in the direction of your post history and find instances of mass paste-jobs of other people's work, anger towards whites and society in general, and ignorance.

ps- When people resort to personal attacks to try to silence other's opinions, that's a sign of weakness.

You know the point I was trying to make to LongIslandPerson and his implication that racism is limited to groups such as stormfront or southern racists,. ie, implying that racism is a one-way-street when it's actually an 8 lane super-highway running both ways.
LiPerson seems fairly intelligent, I figured he would look at his own link (that he supplied on another thread) and see that even NYC is much more segregated than LI.
Bottom line- Racism (and people wanting to be with their own kind) exists everywhere in the world, period.

Here's that link - Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

pps- OBH makes some good points up above this post. +
I never said racism was limited to certain groups!

I said said that there is racism everywhere BUT racists IN GENERAL seem to share some similar characteristics in certain regions (Of course there are exceptions to the rule). Reread my previous posts where I said the difference between the average Southern racist and New England/Northern racists.

And as for NYC being more segregated than LI, that is also true but they are in a City and are far more likely to have frequent daily day-to-day interactions with others which does make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island