Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 03:16 PM
exm exm started this thread

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife, young daughter and I are looking for a house in Nassau. We've been looking in Port Washington, Garden City, Rockville Center and Manhasset (too pricey though). We have some family in Manhasset that really does not recommend Great Neck because of the large Jewish and Iranian Jewish community. This is not because of any racist or anti-semitic thoughts, but because they might be less inclined to accept you in their neighborhood.

Personally I am seriously doubting this and Great Neck is beautiful, has great schools and an excellent Manhattan commute so I would like to hear some thoughts...

Thanks and hopefully no one takes offense to this thread: it is not intended to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 10:55 AM

65 posts, read 192,635 times
I believe Great Neck North has a large population of Jewish and Iranian. Great Neck South, however, is more of a mixed community. I personally like Great Neck South but the house sizes and lots are much smaller. GNS is also closer to Northern Blvd which means commuting by car is much easier than GNN.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:01 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,322 times
I don't live there but have Jewish friends that live there and visit all the time and I see Indians and all other types of races mixing without any problems. Just saying since I don't live there so things may be difference once you live there but as a rather large black guy I have never felt uncomfortable.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:10 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Great Neck is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address (6,022 acres) are not in the community (866 acres):

Places that have a "Great Neck, NY 11020 through 11024" mailing address that are not in the Village of Great Neck are in the Village of Great Neck Estates, the Hamlet of Great Neck Gardens, the Village of Great Neck Plaza, the Hamlet of Harbor Hills, the Village of Kensington, the Village of Kings Point, the Village of Lake Success, the Village of Russell Gardens, the Village of Saddle Rock, the Hamlet of Saddle Rock Estates, the Village of Thomaston and the Hamlet of University Gardens.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
My friend is catholic and lives in Great Neck and it is not an issue. It's not as if it is an all jewish community.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
You need to really determine what it is that you value the most. The GN schools are indeed excellent, as are Garden City, and Manhasset. There is little dispute that GN is more "Jewish" than say Garden City which I would classify as more WASP. Both have wonderful schools. I have left Manhasset out since you have determined it doesn't fit you pocket book. East Williston have some homes that may fit your pocket book, the train there is Mineola and it is the main line so the commute isn't bad and there are frequent trains. The commute from Manhasset/Great Neck is about the best you can get. There are many private schools that are available.
We have friends that live in GN and some Love it some don't. Try to weigh the "values" you place on each category such as commute, acceptance, schools etc.to see where you place the greatest weight. I have Greek neighbors and Indian neighbors that I would not trade for the world and the "American" neighbor....the community would chip in for the van to help them move to get him away from us. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island