Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:17 AM

13 posts, read 26,596 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me which has a better school district? I've heard good things about both neighborhoods and both feel safe when driving though. There are two comparable houses but the one in North Belmore (Saw Mill Rd Elementary) is $90K less than the one in Wantagh (Beech Street Elementary). Is there a reason for that? I'm undecided on which is a better value
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 09:39 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homehelp View Post
Can anyone tell me which has a better school district? I've heard good things about both neighborhoods and both feel safe when driving though. There are two comparable houses but the one in North Belmore (Saw Mill Rd Elementary) is $90K less than the one in Wantagh (Beech Street Elementary). Is there a reason for that? I'm undecided on which is a better value

Yes, wantagh is "better" than North Bellmore.....
There is a premium for Wantagh over N. Bellmore, and a premium for wantagh woods over plain wantagh.

I guess it depends on what is your judge of better.

Generally, from a school point of view, Wantagh schools are measureably better than North Bellmore. How much? I'm not sure. They are also percieved as better.

the other part of the coin is Wantagh woods. it is or is percieved as a nicer area of wantagh than the rest, I dunno if its just due to the trees or what. I agree some of it seems nicer than other areas of wantagh such as forest lake, twin lakes or mandalay.... but there are plenty of streets there that I wouldn't say extra nice, the more major cut throughs, the northern section that has a bunch of similar ranches etc. Not that they're bad, but I don't feel that they're really any nicer than any other area

taxes are probably higher on your wantagh house than bellmore....just a guess.

I'm in the forest lake section of wantagh, I like it. Its very nice, quiet. the neighbors are nice. I guess I paid a premium to live in wantagh over bellmore, but didn't pay the extra to live in the Woods.... My guess is the premium is about 25-40K on my cape.

my general feeling of bellmore is that its nice, I grew up there and went to Saw Mill Rd school. However, when buying a house, I found that there were a lot more houses in bellmore where I got there and wasn't happy with the surrounding blocks or the busynes of the street. Like "this is the perfect house, if it were just 1/2 a mile south among all those other nice houses...

Old 06-15-2011, 05:18 PM

257 posts, read 751,137 times
I'm in Wantagh as well, not the woods though; I'm in Mandalay. Obviously I am a bit bias, but I would choose Wantagh over N Bellmore. I think it has more of a community feel. truthfully though, there isn't what I would consider a significant difference.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:08 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homehelp View Post
Both are fine but the woods is overtaxed. Prepare to pay $17k for a simple colonial.

The school budget always gets passed because the village is loaded with teachers. Prepare to open your wallet.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:35 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Both are fine but the woods is overtaxed. Prepare to pay $17k for a simple colonial.

The school budget always gets passed because the village is loaded with teachers. Prepare to open your wallet.
OMG! If that's true, to the OP, go to N. Bellmore because there is not enough difference to warrant that much of a premium. I knew plenty of people graduating from Mepham who did just fine.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:04 PM

38 posts, read 76,555 times
Lifelong Wantagh (woods) resident here, and I find absolutely no fault with the replies posted. I love it here and moved back as an adult as soon as I could afford to.

With that said, you would be more than happy with North Bellmore. I don't believe there is a significant drop-off in the school system, if at all, and both areas are among the safest anywhere.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:34 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
The school budget always gets passed because the village is loaded with teachers.
What village?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,915 times
Saw Mill Elementary is a very good school and North Bellmore is an excellent school district. Wantagh is also a very good district. I think it comes down to personal preference and the houses you are looking at.

Either of these two areas are a good bet.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
OMG! If that's true, to the OP, go to N. Bellmore because there is not enough difference to warrant that much of a premium. I knew plenty of people graduating from Mepham who did just fine.
They were probably not from my year.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:28 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Bellmore is ehh. Not horrible, not great, worse now than when i was growing up but not bad by any means...for the most part safe but a lot of idiots and low-lifes (although I suppose ya get those kinds of people everywhere).

I wasn't thrilled with Mepham. I wasn't in the honors classes but yet I was very smart and I always felt there were a lot of jackasses and clowns who were holding me back from learning b/c they'd goof off all the time. When I heard about the football scandal on the news, i remember the headline saying "a horrific football scandal at a Long island school" and before they said which school it was, I automatically knew. Mwpham values sports an insane amount. If you're not an athlete there you are pretty much a nobody. I often found sports had a priority even to the teachers moreso what they were actually teaching us.

Maybe it has changed now but that's my experience with Mepham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island