Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 AM

11 posts, read 39,110 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I have narrowed down our search for a home to these three areas--Merrick, Bellmore, and Wantagh.

We are looking to be fairly close to the LIRR. Doesn't have to be walking distance, but close enough. Both me and my husband work in Manhattan and are use to having our kids in after school programs.

I have some questions:
1) how is the commute from the three towns above? How long does it take you to get into and home from the city?

2) what after school programs are available? A lot of the programs seem to only go until 6pm. Are there any programs within the three towns that go until 6:30? if so, are they within the schools? If not, is there bus service from school to teh facility?

Where we are now, parents have two options. You can send your kids to Catholic School and pay for after school until 6pm. Or, you can sign up with the local Y. They pick-up your kids from elementary school and provide homework help and activities until 6:30pm.

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 09:40 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,819 times
To answer your first question, simply look at the LIRR schedule for the babylon line. That will tell you the planned time to/from your station and Penn or Atl Terminal. You will also have to add on your commute time to and from the stations to home or work.

For the most part the LIRR is on time. When it does screw up, you can add minutes to hours for your commute. Babylon branch is better than most though.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,914 times
Those 3 stations are only a few minutes apart. Parking is tight at all of them after 7am but (for now) Bellmore does not require a permit from Town of Hempstead (rumor is it soon will). As for child care, the only one I know that goes til 7pm is Tutor Time but that is either in Levittown or Massapequa (nice new facility, just off Sunrise Hwy about 5-10 minutes from Wantagh LIRR station). Best to call around and ask how late different facilities provide coverage. Almost all of the larger daycares (i.e. not in someone's home) provide pickup from school, homework assistance and a snack. Good luck.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:28 PM

694 posts, read 1,203,963 times
Check out JCC in Merrick, I know that Oceanside branch of it provides care till 7 PM for a little extra pay, not sure if Merrick does. The program is amazing and most of our friends kids go there. After school care in itself is an issue, not just in Long Island, but anywhere in the NY metro area-it seems that 6 PM is reasonable in other parts of the USA when people leave work at 5 on a dot and have 15-30 minute commutes, not here when you are lucky to get out at 6 and make it home by 7:30.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 AM

One more question, is it true that the Wantagh School District buses in kids from other districts/towns? I mentioned to someone that I was looking at homes in Wantagh and they told me to be careful about that. I've been looking on-line but nothing has come up.

TIA.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:06 AM

19 posts, read 27,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie36 View Post
One more question, is it true that the Wantagh School District buses in kids from other districts/towns? I mentioned to someone that I was looking at homes in Wantagh and they told me to be careful about that. I've been looking on-line but nothing has come up.

TIA.

Yes, Wantagh schools are wicked ghetto. Send the kid directly to MIT, Rensaleer or NASA. Seriously, Wantagh schools are fine. Quite good in fact. Just like 90% of LI.
They should be decent. We pay about $42,000,000 per student in school taxes (ok, I exaggerated a little).

Old 01-03-2013, 07:41 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
There is no busing between districts on Long Island for public schools. What this "someone" may have meant is there is more than one school district that covers Wantagh. I believe there is part of Levittown that goes to Wantagh schools (or maybe it's vice versa). At any rate, I'm not sure where you concern lies, they aren't taking gang members from Roosevelt and putting them in those schools.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 AM

19 posts, read 27,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There is no busing between districts on Long Island for public schools. What this "someone" may have meant is there is more than one school district that covers Wantagh. I believe there is part of Levittown that goes to Wantagh schools (or maybe it's vice versa). At any rate, I'm not sure where you concern lies, they aren't taking gang members from Roosevelt and putting them in those schools.

True. North Wantagh kids go to MacArthur HS and Salk MS (Levittown schools but both highly ranked). I think there may be some bussing of special ed. students if an IEP calls for it for whatever reason but that's a rare thing.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 AM

It wasn't as much of a concern as a curiosity as to why. My friend's comment wasn't going to prevent me from buying a house in the area. I was just curious as to why it was done. One of the reasons we are looking into Wantagh is because of the good reputation the school district has.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:05 PM

573 posts, read 1,243,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Those 3 stations are only a few minutes apart. Parking is tight at all of them after 7am but (for now) Bellmore does not require a permit from Town of Hempstead (rumor is it soon will). As for child care, the only one I know that goes til 7pm is Tutor Time but that is either in Levittown or Massapequa (nice new facility, just off Sunrise Hwy about 5-10 minutes from Wantagh LIRR station). Best to call around and ask how late different facilities provide coverage. Almost all of the larger daycares (i.e. not in someone's home) provide pickup from school, homework assistance and a snack. Good luck.
Mongoose,

They started a 'pilot' program at Bellmore - of the approximately 1800 parking spots, 227 of them now require a ToH parking permit (as of 10/22/12).

Hempstead Town Announces

I've actually been to Bellmore since and found parking at ~8:00 AM (catching the 8:13 train) in the lot just north of the tracks, just east of Bellmore Avenue, but by that time there are only 10-15 spots left and they're about as far from the ticket machines as you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island