Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 08:45 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
So my right to defend myself only applies in my home? If some guy tries to rob me (or my elderly mother, who is more likely to be a victim), we're not permitted to defend ourselves with the most effective tool for doing so?

Or do you mean I can carry a pistol as long as it's on a big 'ole cowboy holster on my hip?
I mean nobody except officers of the law should have concealed weapons.
that's all I'm saying.
That is my opinion. I am entitled to it.
You are entitled to yours.
Do I think arming the elderly is a good Idea?
no, I think that's crazy.
My opinion and nothing more.
I said it before and I will say it again
"We will have to AGREE to DISAGREE"
you can argue all you want with me,
your not going to make me angry or upset,
your not going to change my mind.
you have already made your opinion quite clear
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:48 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Im leaning towards this being more than a simple robbery gone wrong. According to the news reports the shooter walked in and just began shooting, and only after killing the 2 workers and 2 customers did he take prescription painkillers and take off.

It just dosent sound like what a druggie would do.
If the guy was high or desperate for more, or looking for a fast cash from the stolen pills, there's no telling what he might have done. He wanted to get in and out with the pills and couldn't care less about the innocent bystanders. Chances are he has had run-ins with the law in the past and wanted to make sure he kept clear of it by eliminating potential witnesses, not taking cameras into account.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:57 PM

There were 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000.[4] The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides,[5] with 17,352 (55.6%) of the total 31,224 firearm-related deaths in 2007 due to suicide, while 12,632 (40.5%) were homicide deaths.[6]
People with a criminal record are also more likely to die as homicide victims.[11] Between 1990 and 1994, 75% of all homicide victims age 21 and younger in the city of Boston had a prior criminal record.[34] In Philadelphia, the percentage of those killed in gun homicides that had prior criminal records increased from 73% in 1985 to 93% in 1996.[11][35] In Richmond, Virginia, the risk of gunshot injury is 22 times higher for those males involved with crime.[36]
In 2005, 75% of the 10,100 homicides committed using firearms in the United States were committed using handguns, compared to 4% with rifles, 5% with shotguns, and the rest with a type of firearm not specified

statistics from Wikipedia, I think more guns mean more deaths. period!
you would save more lives putting 5 point safety harnesses and roll cages in every car on the road.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
you can argue all you want with me,
your not going to make me angry or upset,
your not going to change my mind.
you have already made your opinion quite clear
thanks.
Then why continue to post?

Edit: And now you're posting stats? Why should anyone bother responding to you if you won't change your mind?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Then why continue to post?
your not the only one I am having conversations with man
don't get so upset.
I am just having a friendly conversation.
not everyone is going to agree with me....or you.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
It's not a matter of agreeing. Your anti-gun positions are empirically wrong and you should be called out on it, if not for your benefit then for the benefit of others reading this thread who may be swayed one way or another.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
It's not a matter of agreeing. Your anti-gun positions are empirically wrong and you should be called out on it, if not for your benefit then for the benefit of others reading this thread who may be swayed one way or another.
And by the same token I believe that your "everyone should have a gun" position is wrong and you should just point out your opinion, while I point out mine. Let educated people weigh both sides and make they're own decisions.
I am not trying to sway anyone.
It's not my job to make peoples minds up for them.
I present my view and some people agree with me.
some people don't.
apparently in NY more people agree with me than with you
The law is in place because the majority of "the people"
made it that way.
There is no "benefit" to "calling me out" on anything.
I enjoy these friendly conversations though.
this is the way this country works.
If people were "swayed" to see it your way I think the law would be different.
I respect your opinion and respectfully disagree with you.
that said. I am not trying to "sway" you or anyone else.
not my job man.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:16 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
And on the other side of the scope, I don't want to live in a society where almost anyone I meet could have a gun on them. So you see the stalemate there. I have the same rights to a gun free society. You want a gun get a rifle, you can protect yourself and your family with that. you don't need to pack heat to go pick up milk..
that's paranoid and ridiculous.
You have the 'right' to a gun free society? Care to expain that?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
You have the 'right' to a gun free society? Care to expain that?
I should have said: concealed gun free society. I believe in the "right to bear arms" I just dont think you should hide them.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:25 PM

in 2010 the USA had 17000 gun related deaths, the UK had 42. Guns are not allowed in the UK
something to think about there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island