Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:53 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
It is not a Village of Northport decision. The property in question lies outside the village boundries.
My mistake, I misinterpreted your post #11 to gather that this was within the Village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:31 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
And Huntington Station is considered the "ugly step-sister"? That area gets dumped on all the time, has been ignored for decades. Brick sidewalks just don't do the trick!
Would things there improve if the Hamlet of Huntington Station incorporated and became the Village of Huntington Station (or, some other, maybe, more appropriate name)?

Old 07-14-2011, 11:05 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,771 times
As a side note 7 11 is a company owned by Japanese interests,and why should not any resident have a say in what property gets down zoned in the township of Huntington?Very little notice is given by the town if a property owner is requesting a down zone.Based on the response here, It seems to me that few seem to mind what becomes of the area as it continues to be over developed into a metro like area.Be sure to tell your grand kids what it was like back in the day.JMO

Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
Please....stop talking like you don't live in one of the most urban, suburban areas in the country.

Saving that corner from 7/11 is not like declaring Yellowstone a National Park.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:54 PM

88 posts, read 249,110 times
Gpsma, not looking to pick a fight with you- I love to read your comments, you make a lot of sense. And true, protesting a 7 Eleven won't save the L.I. Sound, or solve the energy crisis, but good for qlty for trying to get people involved with a cause he believes in. Most of us are too apathetic- we can tell you what celebrities or sports figures make, have affairs with, etc. but we can't tell you anything about our political system or even name our local representatives. In my opinion, that particular location is a terrible place to locate a 7-eleven. The traffic is really wonky there. It is a 4-way intersection when you take into account traffic turning from Waterside, Vernon Valley, Main St, and 25a. I agree with Tom Moser when he referenced Northport Villagers fighting TD Bank and what a shame that was. I also disagree with any knee jerk opposition to any construction or changes. But 7 Eleven? a 24hr convenience store? No thanks. That building/location enjoyed great success as a restaurant. It would be perfect for medical office or just general office space. It's a highly visible location with tons of possibilities. We don't need another convenience store- I'd rather see the coffee business go to the local delis (approx. 5 within a mile of that location) or the Batata cafe.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:57 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
I voted for it!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:59 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,446 times
mmmmmmm coffeeeeeeeee......think I'll just park here in the middle of the street and go grab a cup...

Old 07-16-2011, 08:10 AM

570 posts, read 1,215,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Please....stop talking like you don't live in one of the most urban, suburban areas in the country.

Saving that corner from 7/11 is not like declaring Yellowstone a National Park.

Just because an area isn't as suburban as some would like, doesn't mean that the people who live there want the overdevelopment to continue! Why make things worse? Why can't communities try to stop the insane downzoning of their neighborhoods.

This is the same problem that we have in Huntington Station! That area has been promised "revitalization" for decades and nothing has happened except an increase in Sect 8 and crime. So in the town's wisdom, they decide to approve a complex of apartments in an area that I'd doubt anyone with enough money to pay the rent, would want to live in. Why not build businesses on NY Ave that will attract people to the area? Why not give incentives for home ownership rather than allowing the usual slumlords to buy up every house and turn it into an illegal overcrowded pit?

Sorry, went off on a bit of a rant there!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:47 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,446 times
7eleven? oh no...the smell of coffee and overcooked hotdogs will just completely ruin the entire surrounding area for miles. and the type of people that go to 7eleven...are unwanted in my community...wait...I go to 7eleven...
nevermind...

Old 07-17-2011, 12:19 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
7eleven? oh no...the smell of coffee and overcooked hotdogs will just completely ruin the entire surrounding area for miles. and the type of people that go to 7eleven...are unwanted in my community...wait...I go to 7eleven..
nevermind...
LMAO!

I am sitting sipping on a large 7's coffee purchased a little earlier from the 25A 7-11 across from SBU & the LIRR. It has been in that location, bordering on a residential community, long before I attended SBU in the early 80's. We are walking distance to it and it has had no impact whatsoever on out QOL. The local residents all know the owner; an Asian woman who runs a very tight ship. Perhaps this helps with the store being a good neighbor.

It is busy in spurts throughout the day -- especially in the AM before the trains and with car commuters. Interestingly enough, it is fairly quiet at night -- despite the hordes of college students and hospital across the way.

As for the people who are opposing this in Northport -- isn't there a McDonald's over there and some other stores? It's not as though there aren't other commercial buildings there. If a bar or nightclub was proposed for the site I could understand the local residents getting upset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island