Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:43 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
Allure is the worst. Waste of money.

If you need a recommendation, send me a PM and i'll give you the number to the guy that just finished my dormer.

WOW-you know someone in the construction industry that is "Better" than Alure??? What an incredible coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alure_home View Post
Thank you for the kind words and we are glad everything went well. Feel free to reach out to us if you need us at any time. socialmedia at alure.com

I do not believe you are paid to cruise the net looking to enhance Alure's image as was previously suggested.
I say this because frankly, you are failing horribly.
You should have sent a private message to the thread starter, then reported the thread as i'm pretty sure this thread violates the forum rules.
You are not helping the company you work for.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:23 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,872 times
Default hmm

I also used alure for my bathroom .Came out pretty good. they also have a 5 year warranty on their work that covers everything.

A lot of contractors will not warranty their work for that long.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 PM

73 posts, read 187,697 times
10 k isn't really that expensive for a bathroom. I helped a friend do his bathroom from gut to finished and it was around that price. We also cut no corners, re-wired and plumbed the bathroom but saved $$$$ on labor. Just make sure they do it right !!! If you're not sure what right is then educate yourself so you know what should be done.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:59 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Check out angies' list

Old 07-21-2011, 07:20 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
10 k isn't really that expensive for a bathroom.
it is, but only because you're going through the proper channels and using proper labor with warranty and license/insurance. Another comparison, handymen (no not illegals) painted my house for $6k whereas professionals wanted $13k, no joke.

Had the same group of handymen re-do my parents' bath for 3.5k and the tilework is as good as ours when we spent with a huge legit company. It looks very comparable. Downside is probably just timeliness - took them 2 weeks. It's just a bath, not some huge project as far as contractors go.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-21-2011 at 07:54 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 07:27 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Speaking of the legit company, we did a 4 bedroom, 2 bath 2nd floor and a lot of reworking of the 1st floor with Gideon, owner of Gidch Construction, and couldn't be happier. I happily wrote them the best recommendation letter I was able to muster. He was more than outstanding, one of the most honest people I've ever met, and that includes friends - none of that typical contractor appearance or language (you know what I mean). He gave us everything we wanted for the same price Sierra did (also very reputable). Except Sierra didn't give us the good quality stuff like solid-core doors, and didn't want to give us the high-ceilings already in the plans (after being told they lost the bid, they tried to go back on that but that goes to show you about honesty). What's more - everyday I was able to speak to Gideon by phone and he answered every single email which also was nearly daily. He really cares about the appearance & results of his work - and that was evident when consulting with him all the time - he gave us extras because he knew it would come out better (like a closet door we didn't want to pay extra to replace, same with a ceiling fan). New hardwood floors instead of just refinishing a section as per contract. I also got to know his crew very well - lots of smiling faces.

Gidch Construction Tel: 631-243-0295
(on Facebook with more pics)

They just finished us in June. Tell them Ed Lee sent ya... I still communicate with them so they're familiar.

As for Alure, I spoke with one of Gideon's subcontractors who also subs for Alure (and was on Extreme Makeover Home Edition a couple times with them) - and even he mentioned Alure was typically more expensive, but they are supposed to do good work.

Speaking of being stood up - I was stood up multiple times by another guy/company recommended on these forums. You know - if you're going to work with someone for months on one of the most important things you'll ever do, it's important they actually pay attention, and make you a priority. You don't want that to happen or be left wondering what's going on. Anyway, bottom line, you have nothing to lose by meeting with Gidch. And people, about pricing, you CAN price match contractors. Feel free to message me if you want to know more - we've been through quite a lot in the last year with renovating. Glad it's over, glad we found a good headache-free contractor.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-21-2011 at 07:52 AM..

Old 07-22-2011, 08:43 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times
I can't comment on Allure, I haven't dealt with them personally, however have heard basically they are pricey.

However, I will say, that do to a bathroom, kitchen, whatever, with liscensed trades and people who are actually good at what they do, costs a bunch.

I have done bathrooms in my house and previous house as part of larger projects, so I don't know specifically, what each one cost me.

10K may be a bit high for a completely basic bathroom redo(depends on what is basic to you), but you can certianlly spend a lot on a bathroom. the 5-6K "specials" from other seem a bit too good to be true and my guess, completely wild guess, is that they make up the money in extras that you want, that you may have thought were included origionally.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I can't comment on Allure, I haven't dealt with them personally, however have heard basically they are pricey.

However, I will say, that do to a bathroom, kitchen, whatever, with liscensed trades and people who are actually good at what they do, costs a bunch.

I have done bathrooms in my house and previous house as part of larger projects, so I don't know specifically, what each one cost me.

10K may be a bit high for a completely basic bathroom redo(depends on what is basic to you), but you can certianlly spend a lot on a bathroom. the 5-6K "specials" from other seem a bit too good to be true and my guess, completely wild guess, is that they make up the money in extras that you want, that you may have thought were included origionally.
MY bathroom with alure was 10k BUT they tore it to the studs and even replaced the studs and the piping and everything.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:20 PM

40 posts, read 104,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alure_home View Post
I'm not deflecting anything and I am an employee of the company. Just trying to address someones complaint and see if we can make things right. Our intention is just that and to find out what happened so it doesn't happen again to this or any other customer.
I really appreciate your effort. I will contact you should we have any further issues. Our guy got in touch with us. We were assured that there was a misunderstanding. If for any reason things aren't working out again, I will contact you. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island