Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 04:29 PM

426 posts, read 960,529 times

Advertisements

You will be hard pressed to find real estate on LI now with taxes under 10K....much less 7K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 05:45 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
You will be hard pressed to find real estate on LI now with taxes under 10K....much less 7K
See my previous post. Not based on opinions or hearsay - just what I see daily. Tom, where are you? ;-)

Old 07-27-2011, 05:53 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
I don't even remember the street it was on.....I have to ask my sister or I can google it, it was just on a whim that we stopped, saw the sign and figured what the heck.

CT is getting crazy with taxes too, not that bad as long island but ours have doubled since we have been here in less than 8 years, we now pay almost 6k, were paying $3100. Plus this governor just instituted a retroactive increase in state income tax, starting 8/1/2011, retro to 1/1/2011. Plus Ct has a yearly car tax, for example we have a 2004 pickup truck and a newer 2010 SUV, our tax bill for this year (I just paid it) was almost $900...absurd. Plus I am recently downsized so might as well explore other options.

Cost of living here way better than long island. Cost of living elsewhere way better than here. So why not move, not too far from NY since our families still there we are thinking eastern PA, DE, MD, or VA, maybe even RI or southern NJ, depending on home prices and job pops for me.

I am in probably one of the nicest townscin Hartford County, let me know what questions you have, hey maybe you can buy my house lol.
Think about the suburbs of Syracuse! We LOVE it here and industries are growing in all types of directions!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:21 PM

73 posts, read 187,697 times
Taxes are just plain retarded on long island. If you make your house nice then you have to pay more. It makes no sense. You don't get more services if you pay more taxes. Case in point. My parents neighbor pays well over what my parents pay yet the county doesn't plow his driveway when it snows. They don't plow his side of the street any better then they to my parents. The garbage men don't go into his house to collect his garbage. So why exactly should he pay more ? You should pay taxes based on property size and that's it. You should be able to add, change, or do whatever you want and the taxes should stay the same. Everyone in an area should pay about the same taxes only dictated by property size. I could go on and on but you get the point. The government gives it to us in the butt and we have no choice but to take it. Pisses me off to no end. I've seen lots of house I can afford yet can't buy it because the taxes are just plain dumb. And the government wonders why people cheat their taxes or don't declare extensions.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:38 AM

95 posts, read 315,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Define "decent".

East Northport for instance has a decent number of homes with taxes around $7K or less...
Thanks for that info. I have never considered E. Northport.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:31 AM

257 posts, read 751,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM1 View Post
What are some decent areas on the island that have taxes around $7,000 or less if any?
Hicksville

Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
Hicksville

Hicksville does have quite a few homes for sale with taxes below $7,000

Old 07-28-2011, 09:26 PM

249 posts, read 515,187 times
Taxes are the main reason I'm fleeing L.I. when I retire. I'm paying close to $11k and I get squat for my money. I want to go to the beach, I pay. I want to go to the park, I pay. We get nothing in return.....nothing.
Time to start thinking about relocating. This place sucks.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:43 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,535 times
I don't get how poor people live on Long Island. You'd think prices would be out of reach for them so they'd all have gotten out and headed for North Carolina or Florida by now. I don't get it. It is super expensive to live here, yet they don't leave. Why?

Old 07-29-2011, 05:53 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
No matter where you live it is always a mind-set what are you willing to accept. NY especially LI seems intent on forcing the average person out. Those that are there or moving there find a way to rationalize the absurd expenses...
Rationalizing because we are getting something for living here. Is this not obvious? Those who don't are perfectly free to leave, yet just make posts like the above and say this and that sucks as if the same things are available everywhere else. WE WOULD BE THERE TOO IF THAT WERE TRUE. It wouldn't be so populated here if that were true.

Just like you, we openly decide whether we want to pay it or not. I hate it as much as my neighbor, but you pay to play - this is realized month after month and not some decision made once. Which of us knows exactly what can feasibly be done to curb it? Or do we simply complain or put others down because you don't make the same decision?

Last edited by ovi8; 07-29-2011 at 06:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island