Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:14 PM

257 posts, read 608,647 times

Advertisements

is busy and safe and has people renting apartments downtown?

Or to put it another way if you were going to live downtown which town or village or hamlet would you pick in Suffolk County? A place where you could walk to stores and deli's, movies etc..

Last edited by Fashion Girl; 09-11-2011 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashion Girl View Post
is busy and safe and has people renting apartments downtown?

Or to put it another way if you were going to live downtown which town or village or hamlet would you pick in Suffolk County? A place where you could walk to stores and deli's, movies etc..
Huntington and Babylon might work for you

Old 09-11-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Huntington and Babylon might work for you
Thanks...I've never been to the dowtown in either of them so put them on my list.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:49 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,051 times
Not sure if it meets all your demands, but I always enjoyed spending time in Port Jefferson.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:19 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
My first apartment rental (as a young newlywed) was over a flower shop in Babylon Village on Deer Park Ave. The front entrance was on DPA, the parking was at the rear of the building and I would walk back and forth via a small alley between my building and the one next to it. My apartment was over the alley.

The Hibernian hall was close by and on warm night, when they practiced outside, I could hear the pipes and drums in the distance. My friends and I would go to the different restaurants and bars, we could walk everywhere.

I live near Port Jeff now. The vibe in PJ is NOT the same as Babylon was back when I lived there 20+ years ago. Port Jeff is far more touristy. There are good restaurants and bars, though.

Is there a commute involved? Or how far out the OP will go?

Old 09-12-2011, 11:27 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,872 times
Default hmm

Patchogue village is getting there also. Its just as safe as huntington village (i work here) . Artist apartments just opened up , the four corners project was approved and should be starting soon. A lot of cool resteraunts have opened up and are opening up. they have parades for christmas both regular and lit boat parade, saint patriks day and a couple of others. In the summer they have alive after 5 where they close down main street and have bands and everything.

Its a great downtown thats getting better .

Also right in the village by main street is a train station.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:41 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
I know those nearly built apartments(condos?) just north of main street in Bay Shore were filled/sold in record time. They are building more as I write this. I would check them out.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Is there a commute involved? Or how far out the OP will go?
Yes, I would like a downtown close to a train station and also as for how far out in Suffolk, hopefully no more than 45 minute drive max from north Riverhead Township area.

Also I love to swim and love the sound over the ocean and bay so near the sound I would prefer but not a must have.

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I know those nearly built apartments(condos?) just north of main street in Bay Shore were filled/sold in record time. They are building more as I write this. I would check them out.
Would you happen to know the name of them?

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Not sure if it meets all your demands, but I always enjoyed spending time in Port Jefferson.
I like Port Jefferson the times I have been there but it appeared to me to be a lot of tourist as well...am I right about that?

I live out east on the north fork and so much here is becoming so dependent on tourist so I would prefer a downtown that has real local people supporting it and not have to reply on tourist money in order to be vibrant and happening.

Riverhead for example is going all out in making something of their for many years ghost town Main Street...Which IMO is their own fault for allowing RT 58 to become a big box retail and fast food strip instead of supporting downtown business.

But everything Riverhead seems to be doing is all geared towards the tourist...that is great for the tourist but not so great for the locals who still don't even have a movie theatre to go to and haven't had one for decades ....and the locals sure can't afford the new Hyatt....and another thing is the local politicians in their desire to make Riverhead a tourist haven are giving huge property tax breaks to just about anyone opening a place geared towards tourist...and yet the local residents see their property and school taxes increase every year so I just don't know about Riverhead....for anyone visiting the area I highly recommend it as a place to stay but to recommend downtown to anyone looking to live down there year round I don't think so.

I guess what I am trying to say is my dream downtown would be a place where are lot of year round locals live and work and play....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island