Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:06 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Can Theresa really talk to dead people
Of course she can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 10:08 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Of course she can
Aren't most of us LIers dead on the inside, anyway?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:09 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Aren't most of us LIers dead on the inside, anyway?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:14 AM

137 posts, read 249,403 times
The hunches some of these Mediums display are certainly intriguing. I think we all have a bit of whatever that talent is. The many studies and data on folks canceling travel plans on doomed trains/planes is interesting, to say the least. Mystical Hunches or nearly subconscious processing of minute bits & pieces of info... Who can say?

As far as Mediums communicating with the deceased, I don't believe that anyone can do that. I think these Mediums are very talented in 'reading' the needs of the living, their customers. That said, I still think that some of these Mediums perform a somewhat admirable service by bringing a sense of peace, comfort and closure to people troubled by the loss of a loved one. These Mediums might've made very talented Psychologists or Grief Counselors.

One of my SILs went to one after the sudden loss of her sibling. When she'd asked my opinion/advice about whether or not to try one, I told her If it brings you some comfort, why not? Well, it did. Basically, the session gave her the feeling that she got her chance to say a proper goodbye, the lack of which was something that'd troubled her a great deal. She felt better afterwards and was able to more easily grieve, heal & move on.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyriel View Post
The hunches some of these Mediums display are certainly intriguing. I think we all have a bit of whatever that talent is. The many studies and data on folks canceling travel plans on doomed trains/planes is interesting, to say the least. Mystical Hunches or nearly subconscious processing of minute bits & pieces of info... Who can say?

As far as Mediums communicating with the deceased, I don't believe that anyone can do that. I think these Mediums are very talented in 'reading' the needs of the living, their customers. That said, I still think that some of these Mediums perform a somewhat admirable service by bringing a sense of peace, comfort and closure to people troubled by the loss of a loved one. These Mediums might've made very talented Psychologists or Grief Counselors.

One of my SILs went to one after the sudden loss of her sibling. When she'd asked my opinion/advice about whether or not to try one, I told her If it brings you some comfort, why not? Well, it did. Basically, the session gave her the feeling that she got her chance to say a proper goodbye, the lack of which was something that'd troubled her a great deal. She felt better afterwards and was able to more easily grieve, heal & move on.
A lot of what these "Mediums" do is read people and play off what they want to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSn4sGHZE7Y

Old 09-26-2011, 11:04 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
7-8 years ago I met a woman who read Tarot. I made an appointment to come in for cards using only my first name. I did not meet her through anyone -- it was completely random.

I sat in her office at the table, we didn't even have a chance to layout the cards when she started telling me about 3 entities who were present. The first and second appeared related and older; the 3rd much younger, had a connection to me but was not related. I offered her nothing.

She began to describe my late maternal great uncle, his home, his dog, some symbols that made no sense to her but made perfect sense to me from years past and what was placed in his casket. She then relayed info to me about lights in my home and my car radio, described his death, where he was, what happened and the fact that he was already gone despite looking as though he had been briefly revived. There's much more.

The other older entity was my maternal g-grandmother. She kept showing the woman dimes and said they were from her. For a long time prior to this, I was finding dimes everywhere I went.

The third entity puzzled me for a long time. It was a 'young male'. Seeing as I was approaching 40 at the time, I thought in terms of a baby or child. The message made no sense: "It was too soon. I wasn't ready. It's OK I forgive you."

Last year (6-7 years after the Tarot lady) the message finally made sense. I learned that my ex-husband died 12 years earlier. We had married shortly after he divorced his first wife.(It was too soon) He got into drugs, wasn't around, didn't behave like a married person should have.(I wasn't ready) I left him and divorced him years earlier.(It's OK, I forgive you.)

People can believe what they wish -- if you choose not to, I respect that, but ask that you give those of us who believe in spirits the same respect.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
A lot of what these "Mediums" do is read people and play off what they want to hear.

Talking To The Dead 1/2 - Bull****! - YouTube
There are some people who have the gift, but there are also a lot who are spinning tires.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There are some people who have the gift, but there are also a lot who are spinning tires.
Hey just like you said, respect needs to go both ways. I personally think it's all BS, with the "gifted person" simply just reading off of cues. Facial, emotional, verbal, non-verbal cues DO give off a lot of information, more than we even realize. Also, giving extremely vague references (I see 3 people) and having the customer fill in the blanks is also another "gift" imo.

That being said, my family has done it and said they saw their father (my grandfather) although I still hold my own beliefs that it's just this generation's snake oil .

Old 09-26-2011, 11:16 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
I'm not sure what to believe with all this. But I do know you can find out A LOT of information with just a first name and a phone number.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:29 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
don't they always have a disclaimer at the bottom that it's for "entertainment purposes" only?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island