Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 11:01 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Massive gov't works projects did not work under FDR, so why should they work now?

As Einstein was reported to have put it, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Eliminating many gov't regulations, especially those from the EPA, and eliminating the corporate income tax would open the floodgate to an expanding economy that would cry out for more workers to fill a whole world of new jobs.
I can see that you have never been to a third-world country with factories and industries. Why don't you talk about getting rid of the EPA after you have been somewhere they don't have one? I have and I am here to tell you the air quality is so poor in Mumbai, India, you are literally breathing smoke and "chunks" of air that smells like burning rubber. The water and land is also hideously polluted all over India, especially turning lots of unnatural colors thanks to chemical factories. But no EPA there to "hinder" industry. Yay!

Another offshore outsourcing favorite, China, has even more horrible air, land and water pollution. I have a friend who leads tours there and I swear that girl is going to die of cancer spending so much time in Chinese cities.

If you cannot go, Google "pollution China" and "pollution India" and look at images for a sample of what no EPA is like. Then tell us to get rid of it here.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:04 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Oh please..he was far from a Hippie. Guess that slogan gets to you...what's your excuse?
What slogan? I was commenting on how you're trying to use the life/career of someone like Steve Jobs to justify your disdain for the young, hungry, and foolish kids out on the streets.

Unlike you, I don't make or ask people for excuses. Your record should stand on its own.

Quote:
The GOP will be doing that in 2013.
oh... really - and who out of the keystone cops has any chance of winning? lol

Old 10-06-2011, 11:12 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I can see that you have never been to a third-world country with factories and industries. Why don't you talk about getting rid of the EPA after you have been somewhere they don't have one?
Sorry, I_Love_LI_but, that is another straw man argument.

The U.S. court system and the insurance companies that would have to pay when companies harm people with their pollution would prevent what occurs in the developing world from occurring in the U.S.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:27 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Sorry, I_Love_LI_but, that is another straw man argument.

The U.S. court system and the insurance companies that would have to pay when companies harm people with their pollution would prevent what occurs in the developing world from occurring in the U.S.
I want to believe you understand how to debate, but using a straw man to refute a straw man?! ugh

Old 10-06-2011, 11:35 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
The latest: on Friday night a http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ake-place.html.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:45 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Quote:

Jewish liberals...can we say love israel and hate america in the same sentence?

Old 10-06-2011, 11:47 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Quote:
More than 170 people have registered for the service, according to its organizer, Daniel Sieradski, the director of Jew It Yourself and former director of digital media at JTA. Rabbinical students from three denominations have volunteered and prayer books have been donated.
lol. what a name.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:50 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
We see eye-to-eye on the demand vs supply side issue. At this point a lot of the tax cuts meant to stimulate our economy are being invested in gold and even international companies. We have plenty of liquidity when it comes to investment capital. Case closed on that.
I wonder though why that accuracy report did not crunch the numbers on a Social Security/MCare tax cut? I bet it would fall right in between "state aid" and Infrastructure spending.
Not sure. I'll say this much, though, on the topic of FICA taxes - almost no one wants to get rid of SS/Medicare, so we're going to have to fix them, not cut their funding.

Social Security will fix itself once the job market picks up - the recent phenom of it spending more than it takes in is mostly due to the huge number of people out of work and not paying into the system. We could also raise the maximum income that those taxes apply to, just as Reagan did when it was raised to the current ~$106k.

Medicare can be fixed with a single-payer system at best and allowing the system to negotiate for prescription drug prices at the minimum. That's another debate of course but consider this - a real single-payer system would do a hell of a lot to stimulate job growth in this country, removing the pricey burden of providing healthcare from potential employers. I mean seriously, companies are opening plants in Canada now because the costs of employee healthcare in this country are out of control.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Jewish liberals...can we say love israel and hate america in the same sentence?
I consulted my redneck to english dictionary and noticed that your dumb one-liner is circa 2002. Would you like some freedom fries with that?

Old 10-06-2011, 12:13 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Oh please..he was far from a Hippie. Guess that slogan gets to you...what's your excuse?
Hmmm, quit his job making games at Atari so he could travel to India and drop acid?! Not a hippie, huh?! Oh yeah, and he financed the 1st Apple computer by selling his ...here it is...get this...VW bus! Game, set, match. Only a hippie would have had a VW bus!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island