Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:13 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,688,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Are you so partisan that you don't realize that there are just as many multimillionaire left wingers at the top of the business and political spectrum as there are right wingers (if not more). I'm sure good old Joe Kennedy wasn't too concerned about "the little people" as he gained power and money in his heyday. Greed doesn't skew left or right. Wake up to that truth.
I'll leave at this Joe.

At this time,the Left believes in Personal Freedom and Corporate Accountability....the Right believes in Corporate Freedom and Personal Accountability.

Unfortunately they both suck(Yes the Kennedys too).

I hope someday to see a solid 3rd party, a TRUE populist movement born of the internet.

I think the Myspace generation can do it once they make they figure out how to organize and get vote Web based.

If we can bank online....we can vote without Diebold.

C

Last edited by clamboy; 08-27-2007 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 07:19 AM

40 posts, read 130,060 times
Long Island is separated. North Shore and South Shore always always has issues with each other.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:00 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,276,888 times
This thread is veering off the original subject matter. Please get back to the original topic or the thread will be closed

Old 08-27-2007, 10:27 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,688,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
This thread is veering off the original subject matter. Please get back to the original topic or the thread will be closed
I agree.

Are we living on 2 Islands economically?

C

Old 08-27-2007, 11:58 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,675,967 times
There's the older people who bought their houses at something like a price. They're being squeezed by taxes, many are leaving. To them, industry is not a dirty word, they may have had a blue collar career, or come from a time when they mingled with people who did. There was a time when most men saw military service, which tends to be a great social leveler. That ended with Vietnam, and the widespread granting of college deferments.

Then, there's the new people. Sometimes they're immigrants; sometimes, successful younger people. But they bought into the market at current prices, and tend to be quite well off. These people don't want industry at all: it's something nasty and dirty that gives you cancer, or something. These people, and the people who provide them services. make up the second Long Island.

Wealthy people tend to disproportionally influence local governments...and they don't want factories. They want golf courses and gated communities. So, expect no "redevelopment authority" to materialize to revitalize the economy around here.

It doesn't concern me: I'm just waiting for my walking papers to get me out of here. But, young people had better go to law school and become rich Wall Street types if they want to stay here; or, perhaps, plastic surgeons harvesting angel hair pasta out of same, via liposuction.

Otherwise, the South, or the West. Depending on what the incoming, almost certainly Democratic Administration does with trade policy, there might be some economic growth in the manufacturing sector that creates jobs. But, don't expect to see much of it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island