Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:18 PM

29 posts, read 50,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I've known quite a few unwarys from Queens, Brooklyn, etc., who assume "all school districts on LI are good" and end up being sold houses in undesirable places that in the daytime look like "nice suburban neighborhoods" by brokers (who are thanking their lucky stars there's an outsider who is buying a house that's hard to unload). Unloading a house that is unsellable to someone with knowledge of the area on a person from the outside can be a broker's bread and butter. And an unwary buyer's worst nightmare -- finding out your neighborhood is not all that, after you've moved in.
That would be me. That's how I ended up in Copiague trying to get out now before my kids become school age.

That's why I am actively trying to get as much info as I can before making another mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 06:22 PM

160 posts, read 317,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechig2 View Post
That would be me. That's how I ended up in Copiague trying to get out now before my kids become school age.

That's why I am actively trying to get as much info as I can before making another mistake.
Drive around the neighborhoods and shop amongst the locals..get a feel for the area. My wife and I also mapped out a boatload of listings off MLSLI, just got their locations and drove around block by block looking at all of them...learned a lot about the feel of the area(s) just by driving through, also was able to pick up on other intangibles such as blocks/areas that had a LOT of homes for sale (flag)...do your research this time. I'm in Bethpage/North Massapequa and used to commute to East New York via SSP/Belt. It's not a terrible commute. Taxes in the smaller districts might be a bit higher but it keeps the rif raf out (my opinion) and I like the small town community sense in a smaller SD, especially coming from Queens myself.

Taxes are a killer but with school age kids, in the right SD, worth it.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:01 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
South Merrick certainly has a keeping up with the Jones's mentality. I understand how you are not finding much value in the area between Sunrise and Merrick Rd. My vote would be for Massapequa schools which are very good, but have less of the snobbery. However, that's going to be a long commute in bad weather. To the poster who suggested taking the LIRR, the wife works in Sheapshead Bay. A good part of that area is not accessible by subway. It would be LIRR-subway and/or bus-walk and the wife might have to drive to the LIRR station too. Driving is more feasible than taking the train to that part of Brooklyn.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:07 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
Personal preference, Merrick is too close to Roosevelt and Freeport, there have been spikes in residential crime there. Bellmore, to me, I see a lot of smaller lots there, a lot of illegal conversions (my personal observation). Think the further east you get, the better it gets, until you hit Carman's Road.
I agree with your preference. As for Bellmore, I can't say as I haven't been through there in a long while.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechig2 View Post
Actually, what criteria is that based on? I didn't even notice Jericho being omitted from that list. I thought they were one of the top ones.

I didn't move from Brooklyn to end up sending my kids to an equivalent school while paying 5 x the taxes.
Best American High Schools: How We Compiled the List - The Daily Beast

That is the metric used in the Newsweek 2010 listing.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The OP has two kids, wants good schools in a neighborhood that's nice, but not too snobbish, priced $400-475, convenient to Southern State Parkway since his wife commutes to Brooklyn via Belt Parkway.

Here's a suggestion. Look in Massapequa/North Massapequa, on the western border: starting at (to the south) Sunrise Highway, between Tackapausha Preserve and Rt. 107 (becomes North Massapequa) going north to the Southern State Parkway and on the eastern border: Massapequa, starting at (to the south) Sunrise Highway, to the east (Massapequa Preserve) going north to the Southern State Highway (becomes North Massapequa).

Schools are good, nice traditional neighborhoods, approximately 50 houses to choose from on mlsli.com in the price range, not too snobby, convenient to Southern State Parkway. Tip: real estate taxes seem to be a little more reasonable on the homes within Massapequa SD than on those within Farmingdale or Plainedge.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:08 AM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
I don't get how posters

Old 11-18-2011, 08:14 AM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
I don't get how posters are recommending against Merrick because of it's proximity to Roosevelt- that would be like me saying to avoid Massapequa because of it's proximity to Amityville. Both statements are ridiculous. It's not like Merrick is overrun with crime, it's a very safe neighborhood. As far as merrick south of Merrick Rd. (or even south of Sunrise) there was a bit too much snobbery for us so we passed. We ended up in North Merrick schools but we still have the Merrick address, and the people are so muchmore down to earth here and nice. Neighborhoods are beautiful, such as the Briarcliffor Wenshaw areas, and you could buy a great house in this neighborhood on your budget. The schools are excellent, there are many clubs and extracurriculars starting even at the elementary school level.

I would say you should focus your search on Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, North Bellmore, Merrick, or North Merrick. Can't really go wrong in any of those areas.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:36 AM

160 posts, read 317,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I don't get how posters are recommending against Merrick because of it's proximity to Roosevelt- that would be like me saying to avoid Massapequa because of it's proximity to Amityville. .
Amityville isn't great, I'll give you that. But comparing Amityville to Roosevelt?

To that end, the spike in crime (or just the fact that there is more of it) in East Massapequa is relative to its bordering Amityville, hence, East Massapequa is off the list. In my opinion, Merrick is too close to Roosevelt, and points west of Roosevelt aren't getting better. The riff raff generally migrates east, so, I would be weary of Merrick as a long term investment.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I don't get how posters are recommending against Merrick because of it's proximity to Roosevelt- that would be like me saying to avoid Massapequa because of it's proximity to Amityville. Both statements are ridiculous. It's not like Merrick is overrun with crime, it's a very safe neighborhood. As far as merrick south of Merrick Rd. (or even south of Sunrise) there was a bit too much snobbery for us so we passed. We ended up in North Merrick schools but we still have the Merrick address, and the people are so muchmore down to earth here and nice. Neighborhoods are beautiful, such as the Briarcliffor Wenshaw areas, and you could buy a great house in this neighborhood on your budget. The schools are excellent, there are many clubs and extracurriculars starting even at the elementary school level.

I would say you should focus your search on Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, North Bellmore, Merrick, or North Merrick. Can't really go wrong in any of those areas.

Last I checked, Amityville had a very nice area by the water, a lovely downtown, and it's schools didn't need to be taken over by the state. Amityville has a few sketchy areas, but unlike Roosevelt, the entire area isn't an armpit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island