Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:30 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Gee, you used the same joke he used, right down to the snarky sarcasm ...("didn't you hear, NY has the monopoly on high prices"). Brilliant twist.

Yeah, not much customer satisfaction with the iphone. Just hype. But those droids are flying off the shelves and the apps? ooo boy, some fun stuff. Got my iphone from ATT. Shipped overnight. No waiting in line. Activated online. Sold my old one for more than the new one so I made a profit. Considering I hate everything, I am shocked at how much my wife and I like our iphones.

Enjoy your Shake Shack. Neat-o. I'm sure Kate Murray will be there with a hardhat, a burger and a smile. I'm sure I will too. It'll be the hottest thing since Cheescake Factory. Wheeeeee! Man, I'm stoked!! Not sure I can handle the thrill a minute changing landscape of the Town of Hempstead!
Is it possible your issue might be with suburbia in general and not necessarily this particular suburb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 12:33 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
what exactly is fancy about it?

Proprietary meat from a gourmet purveyor that services five star steak restaurants. Nothing wrong with that, but that makes it "fancy."

Quote:
did you work nearby? If you get there early enough the line is usually never more than 10 minutes or so....
Toy Building. It was a lovely idea that few actually could manage. While it's a destination in itself, the Columbus location is more of the tourist trap. I'd love you to mention that 10 minute wait to anyone in the city and see if they don't fall over laughing.

Quote:
this:

plenty of "good" food...but unfortunatley it can be pricey. Not exactly breaking new ground here...
Didn't know my rant had to break ground for you. Is that a requirement when ranting on these boards?! 99% didn't get THAT memo.

Quote:
yeah...5-6 good things...tops. ?
Yup. Used to be a solid dozen but Giuliani squashed a few.

Quote:
too bad for you the complaint rock era was 20 years ago...
huh?! whatever.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Proprietary meat from a gourmet purveyor that services five star steak restaurants. Nothing wrong with that, but that makes it "fancy."
the price, "decor", and "fixins" bar suggest otherwise.

Quote:
Toy Building. It was a lovely idea that few actually could manage. While it's a destination in itself, the Columbus location is more of the tourist trap. I'd love you to mention that 10 minute wait to anyone in the city and see if they don't fall over laughing.
get on line at 12:15 and it's a breeze. Anyone who works nearby knows this to be the case. The same goes for just about any popular lunch spot in the city.

Quote:
Didn't know my rant had to break ground for you. Is that a requirement when ranting on these boards?! 99% didn't get THAT memo.
but what does lunch being expensive in Manhattan have to do with Shake Shack in Westbury? Should we start a seperate thread for all of your random grievances?

Quote:
Yup. Used to be a solid dozen but Giuliani squashed a few.
and now the whole city is just like Times Square! Everything is a tourist trap! We must all flee over the bridge to hipster heaven!

Quote:
huh?! whatever.
all of your angst might have made for some very popular songs way back when.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Is it possible your issue might be with suburbia in general and not necessarily this particular suburb?
No. This suburb is the most arrogant and in denial of it's own downward spiral of any place I've ever lived. I don't dislike "the suburbs" or "suburbia." I dislike Long Island. I live here. I want it to be better for my kids. I'd like it to be a little more culturally vital than the excitement over the new Shake Shack or Sonic like it's a two horse town getting a new Dairy Queen (no offense to Dairy Queen, except that they don't have chocolate which is just bizarre).

Speaking of hamburgers, why are we still beating this dead horse.

Seriously, I think what bothers me most is that LI'ers will FLOCK (I MEAN FLOCK) to any hyped up chain eatery but will BARELY support a local mom and pop place that may have better food. I am generalizing, but some places don't seem so dependent on every establishment being a proven entity someplace else. LI'ers don't "discover" talent. They procure it. The local govt makes it difficult for a small shop to suvive but offers mega-incentives to developers to lure in corporate behemoths. I'm not saying it's ONLY LI (I can hear your quote already "ONLY NY has chain restaurants..."), but it is the pervasive culture here. I'd like that to change.

That is not meant with animosity, it is just how I feel. Take it as you will.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:45 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Gee, you used the same joke he used, right down to the snarky sarcasm ...("didn't you hear, NY has the monopoly on high prices"). Brilliant twist.

Yeah, not much customer satisfaction with the iphone. Just hype. But those droids are flying off the shelves and the apps? ooo boy, some fun stuff. Got my iphone from ATT. Shipped overnight. No waiting in line. Activated online. Sold my old one for more than the new one so I made a profit. Considering I hate everything, I am shocked at how much my wife and I like our iphones.

Enjoy your Shake Shack. Neat-o. I'm sure Kate Murray will be there with a hardhat, a burger and a smile. I'm sure I will too. It'll be the hottest thing since Cheescake Factory. Wheeeeee! Man, I'm stoked!! Not sure I can handle the thrill a minute changing landscape of the Town of Hempstead!
Where was that used? I didn't see it if it was. Either way, I'm only replying to the constant pessimism/'borderline belittling' of LI & NYers...feeding off that negativity. I'm not sure where LIers did you wrong (maybe the taxes are getting to you?) , but if you hate it here so much, why not relocate? LI definitely isn't for everyone. I hear they go absolutely BONKERS over new Targets or Walmarts opening up in the South.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
and now the whole city is just like Times Square! Everything is a tourist trap! We must all flee over the bridge to hipster heaven!
Now you got it!!

I didn't make a particular point about SS being expensive. It was part of a group of adjectives. You just jumped on that one and keep repeating it.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:49 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
No. This suburb is the most arrogant and in denial of it's own downward spiral of any place I've ever lived. I don't dislike "the suburbs" or "suburbia." I dislike Long Island. I live here. I want it to be better for my kids. I'd like it to be a little more culturally vital than the excitement over the new Shake Shack or Sonic like it's a two horse town getting a new Dairy Queen (no offense to Dairy Queen, except that they don't have chocolate which is just bizarre).

Speaking of hamburgers, why are we still beating this dead horse.

Seriously, I think what bothers me most is that LI'ers will FLOCK (I MEAN FLOCK) to any hyped up chain eatery but will BARELY support a local mom and pop place that may have better food. I am generalizing, but some places don't seem so dependent on every establishment being a proven entity someplace else. LI'ers don't "discover" talent. They procure it. The local govt makes it difficult for a small shop to suvive but offers mega-incentives to developers to lure in corporate behemoths. I'm not saying it's ONLY LI (I can hear your quote already "ONLY NY has chain restaurants..."), but it is the pervasive culture here. I'd like that to change.

That is not meant with animosity, it is just how I feel. Take it as you will.
Here ;

Salumi Tapas and Wine Bar - Massapequa, NY

The Good Life - Massapequa Park, NY

you'll thank me later

Old 11-23-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
No. This suburb is the most arrogant and in denial of it's own downward spiral of any place I've ever lived.
people are fleeing for greener pastures in record numbers. The gloom and doom regarding jobs and taxes is all over Newsday every day. the only people who are in "denial" are those who can afford to be.

Quote:
I don't dislike "the suburbs" or "suburbia." I dislike Long Island. I live here. I want it to be better for my kids. I'd like it to be a little more culturally vital than the excitement over the new Shake Shack or Sonic like it's a two horse town getting a new Dairy Queen (no offense to Dairy Queen, except that they don't have chocolate which is just bizarre).
was it "excitement" or are you simply overreacting to something somebody posted on a message board?

Quote:
"generalizing" implies there might be a shred of truth in this mess. I don't even see that. Do I really need to provide a LONG list of privately owned and successful eating establishments?

Old 11-23-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Where was that used? I didn't see it if it was. Either way, I'm only replying to the constant pessimism/'borderline belittling' of LI & NYers...feeding off that negativity. I'm not sure where LIers did you wrong (maybe the taxes are getting to you?) , but if you hate it here so much, why not relocate? LI definitely isn't for everyone. I hear they go absolutely BONKERS over new Targets or Walmarts opening up in the South.
Spare me your nonesense. I AM a New Yorker and a Long Islander. Unlike some knee jerk defenders, I've lived other places and have seen good and bad. I don't care who goes bonkers over what somewhere else. What does that have to do with anything? I'm sick of this so called "unique suburban character" that is so important it does not allow for any growth, modernism or change for the better. "If you don't like it, move." Maybe you are the problem. Maybe YOU should move. This is so silly. I want better. If you don't get that, oh well.

I don't want my pro team to be a laughing stock with the lowest attendance in the league and an embarrassing arena. Don't want to be a place touring artists AVOID like the plague. Don't want to be a place where creative people can't exhibit or perform. We can have "uniques suburban character" and still be a vital, hip place. They are not mutually exclusive.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Now you got it!!

I didn't make a particular point about SS being expensive. It was part of a group of adjectives. You just jumped on that one and keep repeating it.
let's see...you called it "overpriced" two times and then said it doesn't have "fair prices".

But I'm the one who's repeating....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island