Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:58 PM

56 posts, read 130,971 times

Advertisements

Hi! I grew up in Plainview but moved to Florida to live with my dad when I was 14. I really dislike it here and am moving back to the island with my husband. My cousin has a house in Levittown that he is letting me and my husband stay in until we get situated but we only want to stay there for about a month or two.

I haven't lived on the island in 7 years and I am wondering a few things.

1) How soon should we start looking for a job? We will be moving in May when our lease here ends. Should we start applying in February?

2) Both my husband and I have primarily worked at restaurants and were wondering if we'd have a better chance getting a job if we applied somewhere in the city rather than on the island?

3) We want to move into our own place as soon as we can, what is the average rent for an apartment in a safe area for a 1 bedroom?

4) When looking online for rentals, I saw that most of the time it was a room or basement in someone elses home, and they typically only want one person living in it, not a married couple. Do most people who rent out part of their home really not want a couple?

And lastly;

5) My friend is living in Ridge and paying 900 a month which is pretty cheap for the island but I heard it's a bad area. Does anyone have any opinions on Ridge? It's near Coram.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 01:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
Ridge isnt bad. Its just wayyy out there.

I would first find a job, then find housing.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Ridge isnt bad. Its just wayyy out there.

I would first find a job, then find housing.
Well like I said, I have a place to stay for free for a little while, I just don't want to be there too long because his house is a little bit small. I want to find a job before I even move, but I'm just not sure when I should start looking.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
I would start looking for a job right after the holidays, if you are serious about moving.

Not sure what type of work you do in the restaurant business, but don't come to LI thinking you will live like a king and queen.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I would start looking for a job right after the holidays, if you are serious about moving.

Not sure what type of work you do in the restaurant business, but don't come to LI thinking you will live like a king and queen.

I never once said I thought I'd be living like a king and queen. I am fully aware at how expensive it is to live there. To be quite honest, where I live isn't really cheap either and unless you want to live in a craphole in a ghetto and unsafe area you'll be paying at least $1,100 a month anyway.

All I want is to be in a safe area and get a job before we move so we can move out on our own faster rather than stay living in my cousins house.

I have over 5 years previous experience in restaurants as a Server, Busser, and a Hostess so I would be fine with either three job positions. My husband has worked as a customer service representative for POSitouch (a point of sale system for the terminals in restaurants to put in orders and cash out customers) as well as being a Server and Busser.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:32 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,273 times
Whatever you do, make sure the rental is LEGAL. So many apartments that are in the basement or part of someone's house is ILLEGAL. It might look like a good deal ($1400 for 2bdr, utilities included, whatever) but it will be a major headache down the line.

What's your budget, and what area do you want to live in? People can help you more if you give details.

Will you be living in Ridge for the time being?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:38 PM

My cousin lives in Levittown & I will be living with him until my husband and I save up more money. We won't be able to tell how much we want to pay per month until we find jobs and know how much we'll be making and how many hours we'll get. I'd like to be as close to Plainview as possible just because that's where most of my family and friends are but anywhere will be okay. I'll have to guess that $1,500 will have to be our max.

I'd prefer not to live in NYC, Queens, Brooklyn, or Bronx though. I just don't like those areas.

I understand that we will probably be struggling for a while and it makes more sense to wait to move however I have multiple trust funds and one of them was for $130,000 that I got when I turned 20 (the others I won't get until I'm 25, 27, & 50) and I made sure that I couldn't take it until I turn 23 so that I don't waste it and I want to use it to buy a house somewhere in NY (not necessarily Long Island, possibly upstate)

I want to move as soon as possible because I want to go to one of colleges in NY (Florida's education system is horrible) and I don't want to pay out of state so I need to get my residency before applying.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:29 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Even with the free housing for a few months I would still secure a job first before moving here. Jobs are hard to find as it is in these hard economic times. Not to burst your bubble but don't assume you will be only living there 2 months because that's what my brother in law and wife said when they decided to live with his mom so they could save up and get a house,they are there 1 1/2 years now. Good luck in what ever you choose to do here. Weclome back.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Even with the free housing for a few months I would still secure a job first before moving here. Jobs are hard to find as it is in these hard economic times. Not to burst your bubble but don't assume you will be only living there 2 months because that's what my brother in law and wife said when they decided to live with his mom so they could save up and get a house,they are there 1 1/2 years now. Good luck in what ever you choose to do here. Weclome back.
Oh trust me I'm already looking for where the most possible job opportunities are. I plan to start applying for jobs mid-January. I've been wanting to move back since I left and I am determined to do whatever I need to do for this to work

Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
How could they expect to save up for a house in 2 months?

That doesn't make any sense on their part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island