Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 11:21 AM

22 posts, read 130,724 times

Advertisements

My husband, 2 kids and I are moving back to Long Island within the month and he will be working at the company he left to come to NC. Took us 16 months to love NC and the community lifestyle we now have, but job opportunities for my husband are just not here! Anyone who moves to NC ought not to judge so quickly and really give it some time and not blame NC for other things that go wrong during your stay. I've always loved LI and NYC and am looking forward to going back to enjoy the things we did not when we lived there for 31 years of our lives. We are now 33 and 34 with a 4 1/2 yr old and a 3 yr old. Just in case people don't get it yet...LI is extremly expensive and we can only go back because of the profit we walked away with in 2005. Thank goodness we held on to it. I would love to hear from anyone else who had to move back to LI from NC. The biggest downfall is my husbands communte into the city 5 hours a day times 5 days a week is a part time job in itself, but then again it allows me to be a stay at home MOM which many New Yorkers are not able to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 03:40 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,504 times
Missing LI, We have been off Long Island (Bellmore) for about four months. I don't really miss it so much I feel it is changing there. My wife and children(16 and13) really want to go back and we are considering it now. I just dread the traffic and the crowds that affect everything from home prices to weekend events that are so overcrowded that you can't even enjoy. I do miss the old neighborhood and all of my freinds so I am not exactly kicking and screaming. Good Luck What town are you in? Glen

Old 11-01-2006, 05:22 PM

Default Going back to NY..or are we?

We had left Manorville, but would have to stay in his parents house in Farmingville so I can hold on to my Clayton, NC home just in case we made a mistake in going back. I agree with everything you you said, the overcrowdedness of soccer games, malls, BJ's, Target, every other named store and the roads. Truthfully my husband and I both now want to stay but there really are no jobs opportunities here in NC for him. After he had quit the RPD, he was out of work for 5 long months. Now he is an inspector for the DMV but we would have to relocate to the Greenville area. Schools are not so good there. Don't know about private ones. My husband is torn as we speak. We hated it here for so long but now my Mom and her new husband moved here to Riverwood and now one of my three brothers are moving down and now we may leave. What to do?!

Old 11-02-2006, 04:17 AM
77t

16 posts, read 86,831 times
do whays good for your family...because in the end its about your husband and you ..if your other family memebers chose to move down there ...thats there choice....and there problem.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:46 AM

I'm slowing incorporating that concept into my thoughts. I had to because we left EVERYONE 16 months ago to come to NC in the first place. They just seem to like it enough to stay and the job thing and retirement thing for Mom works great for them down here. I without a doubt agree that in the end it is my immediate families' needs that need to be met and hope that other people have that thought process in their life. If we always do what will make others happy, we will always forget about the most important person...ourselves. Thanks for the confirmation on my thought process!

Old 11-02-2006, 07:22 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,486 times
I'd love to tell you about my move back to the island. Fortunatly, I never moved away from it.

It's not expensive, as long as you have money.

Welcome Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing LI View Post
My husband, 2 kids and I are moving back to Long Island within the month and he will be working at the company he left to come to NC. Took us 16 months to love NC and the community lifestyle we now have, but job opportunities for my husband are just not here! Anyone who moves to NC ought not to judge so quickly and really give it some time and not blame NC for other things that go wrong during your stay. I've always loved LI and NYC and am looking forward to going back to enjoy the things we did not when we lived there for 31 years of our lives. We are now 33 and 34 with a 4 1/2 yr old and a 3 yr old. Just in case people don't get it yet...LI is extremly expensive and we can only go back because of the profit we walked away with in 2005. Thank goodness we held on to it. I would love to hear from anyone else who had to move back to LI from NC. The biggest downfall is my husbands communte into the city 5 hours a day times 5 days a week is a part time job in itself, but then again it allows me to be a stay at home MOM which many New Yorkers are not able to do!

Old 11-02-2006, 08:49 AM

40 posts, read 199,632 times
Default I'm missing LI too!

Missing LI I'm in the same boat as you. I just Moved to FL from Nassau county 4 long months and are planing on moving back to LI at the end of the month. We put our house on sale(I know I never wanna come back to FL). We have a beautiful 4 bedroom home, nice weather, etc. The Jobs here a terrible little pay, no medical insurance and the jobs that I've found were 2hrs away it's just not worth it. My husband works in Construction and that just came to a complete halt. What make matters worse is FL is that there's no sense on community everyone is a transplant and are looking to get out. Half of the homes in my block are eighter empty, rented or have 4sale signs. Even the few folks that wanna stay (including my sister) have to leave, they just can't afford it. Schools are also a big issue, there overcroweded most of the teacher are young and unexperience. I know Orlando is going to be a great big city(better than NY) but I just don't wanna wait around 10years and wait for that to happen. My Kids need a good education now and not in 10yrs.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:47 AM

Where on LI are you moving back to aplacetocallhome? I'm assuming Nassau. Good luck with the sale of your house and the re-relocation!

Old 11-02-2006, 09:48 AM

check123 you are right...as long as you have money and know where not to spend it. Thanks for the welcome!

Old 11-02-2006, 01:05 PM

293 posts, read 959,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing LI View Post
Hi Missing LI,
I'm just curious, what part of NC are you in and why do you think it took so long to really love it there? We are moving to NC in 3 weeks from LI. I have talked to many people who moved there and they absolutely love it. I hope we are going to feel the same way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island