Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:42 PM

56 posts, read 130,971 times

Advertisements

My husband currently works for POSitouch (A point of sales dealer) and there aren't any locations in New York. We are moving to Long Island in May and we're having a hard time finding another POS dealer on the island. The best I've been able to find is one in Hoboken, NJ.

I figured I'd come here and see if anyone knew of a similar company that's on the island. Preferably close to Levittown where we will be living

Last edited by Keeper; 12-12-2011 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: removed light color too hard to read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 07:53 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
LI is a great place to live but if there are no POS dealers here, why move here? If there's one in NJ, why not move to NJ?

I get why you'd want to live on LI- cuz LI is the ****- but what is your husband planning to do for work?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,178,765 times
Piece O Sheet?

Old 12-11-2011, 04:33 AM

We both have most of our experience in restaurants so we would work at restuarants if he couldnt find a job with a POS dealer.

We want to be in NY because my cousin has a house there that they are letting us live in for free until we save up money to live on our own.

Plus, I absolutely miss Long Island, and NY in general.

Living in Plainview was the best place I've ever lived in, everywhere else was pretty mediocre at best.

I want to be closer to my family because they are not doing that well health wise and I'm not sure how much longer some of them have, and being in Florida, I never see them which sucks because my cousin, aunt, and grandma pretty much raised me.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:57 AM

745 posts, read 1,505,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingthe516 View Post
We both have most of our experience in restaurants so we would work at restuarants if he couldnt find a job with a POS dealer.

We want to be in NY because my cousin has a house there that they are letting us live in for free until we save up money to live on our own.

Plus, I absolutely miss Long Island, and NY in general.

Living in Plainview was the best place I've ever lived in, everywhere else was pretty mediocre at best.

I want to be closer to my family because they are not doing that well health wise and I'm not sure how much longer some of them have, and being in Florida, I never see them which sucks because my cousin, aunt, and grandma pretty much raised me.

I would suggest that you really rethink the quality of life you would have on Long Island if you are depending on income as two restaurant servers. I would guess that you would be barely making ends meet, I'm not sure why you'd move here for that.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I would suggest that you really rethink the quality of life you would have on Long Island if you are depending on income as two restaurant servers. I would guess that you would be barely making ends meet, I'm not sure why you'd move here for that.
I've already mentioned why I'm moving.

Right now we can't afford apartments where we live in South Florida.
My cousin has a 3 bedroom house in Levittown and is letting my husband and I live there until we save up money to move to Upstate NY for college.
**Also, I want to move as soon as possible to NY so I can declare my residency**

Rent here is around 900-1,000+ a month if you want to live in a safe area.
Plus auto insurance.. I'll be paying almost 1500 a month.

If I live with my cousin, I'll have free housing and just have to pay insurance.

Definitely more affordable for us.

Also, from ages 22-25 (so next October) I will receive a decent amount of money from a trust fund that would be enough for me to buy a house if I wanted to.

Then when I turn 27 I get the stocks my grandfather gave me which right now is at a nice amount.

Pretty sure I'll be able to do fine once I turn 22 (next October)

Plus I absolutely hate Florida, and miss New York.

So I absolutely know why I'm moving there. And we won't be barely making ends meet.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:46 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingthe516 View Post
I've already mentioned why I'm moving.

Right now we can't afford apartments where we live in South Florida.
My cousin has a 3 bedroom house in Levittown and is letting my husband and I live there until we save up money to move to Upstate NY for college.
**Also, I want to move as soon as possible to NY so I can declare my residency**

Rent here is around 900-1,000+ a month if you want to live in a safe area.
Plus auto insurance.. I'll be paying almost 1500 a month.

If I live with my cousin, I'll have free housing and just have to pay insurance.

Definitely more affordable for us.

Also, from ages 22-25 (so next October) I will receive a decent amount of money from a trust fund that would be enough for me to buy a house if I wanted to.

Then when I turn 27 I get the stocks my grandfather gave me which right now is at a nice amount.

Pretty sure I'll be able to do fine once I turn 22 (next October)

Plus I absolutely hate Florida, and miss New York.

So I absolutely know why I'm moving there. And we won't be barely making ends meet.
Just a word of advice..If you are going to come on here or any forum to ask for advice be prepared for people to disagree with you.If you don't like the answers you are getting then this is not the place to ask for advice. on another note regarding moneys and trusts TMI for this forum. It's no ones business but your own how much money you have or will be getting.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Just a word of advice..If you are going to come on here or any forum to ask for advice be prepared for people to disagree with you.If you don't like the answers you are getting then this is not the place to ask for advice. on another note regarding moneys and trusts TMI for this forum. It's no ones business but your own how much money you have or will be getting.
I don't care if people disagree with me.
I care when I lay out plain and simple what is going on and they seem to misread what I say.

This move is for the better because if we stay in South Florida we will probably get evicted for not being able to pay rent on time. This move will save us.
And I didn't ask if anyone thinks its a bad decision to move, I asked for advice on something entirely different.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:44 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Point blank- trust fund or not- NY is more expensive than FL will ever be. A loaf of bread in NY is more than the same loaf of bread would be in FL. Trust fund money doesn't last forever. You really need a job that will provide livable income and waitressing won't do that here.

I'm not being mean- I'm being honest.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Point blank- trust fund or not- NY is more expensive than FL will ever be. A loaf of bread in NY is more than the same loaf of bread would be in FL. Trust fund money doesn't last forever. You really need a job that will provide livable income and waitressing won't do that here.

I'm not being mean- I'm being honest.
Okay well I'm just saying that as we stand it's better for us to move to NY.
I am well aware that NY is more expensive.

When my husband and I save up money (you can make some pretty good tips being a server, my last job I was getting at least 160 in tips on an average night, but we moved and it was too far to commute) we're moving upstate where the rent is cheaper and I've already found places up there that we like for 700 a month. We can do this and not struggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: