Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:35 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,247,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
That's that problem with L.I. there is no community feel and people put their own agendas first. The volunteers go out and try to drum up some holiday spirit and get shot down . Down here we have our town days, numerous parades, the holiday santa on the firetruck and we all come together regardless of race,religion or creed. It's about the CHILDREN and strengthening family and community ties. And the turnouts are huge, seems like the whole town participates

Why must everything turn political on L.I.? It's a shame.....
Yup, three people complain about it on a message board and it represents all of LI.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:35 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Lights and sirens help prevent accidents

I don't know exactly what you're asking?

Yep. If anything, those sirens and lights will get the attention of those who aren't paying any, or who have their windows rolled up and are making themselves deaf with their car stereos. When you have little kids running out of their houses, that can only be a good thing.

Pool, I don't know where you get this whole "slam on the brakes" thing. If you are sufficiently distracted behind the wheel such that you don't notice the lights and sirens until the last split second and have to slam on the brakes, then maybe you should re-evaluate your driving skills. Not for nothing, but it is the holiday season and people are driving like idiots just in general, so everyone should be extra careful right now, anyway.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:42 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,997,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Yup, three people complain about it on a message board [b]and it represents all of LI.
i don"t know if thats a joke or not but yea that sounds like 75% of long island

Not in my backyard im watching my soaps damit!

Last edited by Keeper; 12-20-2011 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 12-18-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morebarn View Post
A lot of thinly veiled hatred towards jews in this thread. Just sayin'

Oh, please. I'm an atheist. I tend to think religion is a problem in general. But I'm not going to pee on someone else's holiday, and raise a giant fuss over something that when you get right down to it, is secular, may bring a smile to some who need it (this can be a tough time of year for many people), and delights little kids.

Now kindly do excuse me while I go adjust the garland on my tree.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:11 PM

152 posts, read 400,005 times
RE:Yep. If anything, those sirens and lights will get the attention of those who aren't paying any, or who have their windows rolled up and are making themselves deaf with their car stereos. When you have little kids running out of their houses, that can only be a good thing.

Pool, I don't know where you get this whole "slam on the brakes" thing. If you are sufficiently distracted behind the wheel such that you don't notice the lights and sirens until the last split second and have to slam on the brakes, then maybe you should re-evaluate your driving skills. Not for nothing, but it is the holiday season and people are driving like idiots just in general, so everyone should be extra careful right now, anyway.

Lights & Sirens are placed on emergency vehicles for the purpose of getting those vehicles to the scene of emergencies quickly. Those vehicles are even authorized to go through red lights (when safe to do so). I fail to see why they're being utilized for "Santa Trips" around the neighborhood?

As I said continue doing it...just keep the lights & sirens for true emergencies.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:59 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,708,977 times
Lets all keep the spirit of Christ in Christmas Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Keeper; 12-20-2011 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: watch it

Old 12-18-2011, 01:29 PM

19,223 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Our adjacent county will run the fire trucks with santa and the kids love it. The fire house at my neighborhood entrance used to decorate for xmas and would have Santa there prior to the holiday. The county fussed because of the additional electric cost for all the lights. All the neighbors complained and they backed off, they also have a menorah for equal billing. We have a fully paid fier department and as a tax payer I don't mind, it's one of the holiday traditions...

Old 12-18-2011, 01:41 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
I have never seen one of these Santa-firetrucks speeding thru an intersection with lights and sirens blaring. Mostly I've seen them move slowly down residential side streets. Where are you seeing this hellacious behavior?

As far as insurance, your car insurance covers you in just about every instance that you make a bone headed move, including if you're speeding, driving recklessly, or drunk (except for the medical part) so I wouldn't worry about the firehouse's insurance denying them in these cases. That's exactly what insurance is for, after all.

If there is a specific exclusion for this, I'm sure they'd be aware of it and not take a chance.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:03 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
This thread is getting slightly ridiculous.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:19 PM

Default Stink, stank, STUNK!

LOL, Eddie!

[youtube]nzXKWKaxt3c[/youtube]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island