Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 04:20 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times

Advertisements

I repeat with 100% certainty that the blocks immediately off Hillside Avenue to the North often called the abc streets are in the Herrick's school district and are New Hyde Park addresses. An in law grew up on one of those blocks and attended Herricks schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 08:00 PM

600 posts, read 2,092,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I repeat with 100% certainty that the blocks immediately off Hillside Avenue to the North often called the abc streets are in the Herrick's school district and are New Hyde Park addresses. An in law grew up on one of those blocks and attended Herricks schools.

Yes, they have a New Hyde Park Address but they are in the New Hyde Park non-conforming postal zone, not the village of New Hyde Park.

I've known Walter too long

Old 12-31-2011, 03:12 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,420,847 times
Grew up on Prince St (P) and it was New Hyde Park (11040) but Herricks schools. Walk to almost every store or eatery you would need though little "town" feel.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
Yes, they have a New Hyde Park Address but they are in the New Hyde Park non-conforming postal zone, not the village of New Hyde Park.

I've known Walter too long :D
Thank you.

People have to remember that the majority of places -- about 8 out of every 10 places -- with a New Hyde Park mailing address (3,339 acres) are not in the Village of New Hyde Park (531 acres).

Old 12-31-2011, 06:09 PM

Default A map of the Hamlet of Herricks in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County

Quote:
I repeat with 100% certainty that the blocks immediately off Hillside Avenue to the North often called the abc streets are in the Herrick's school district and are New Hyde Park addresses.
Could you be thinking of the neighborhood in the southwest part of Herricks?

A map of the Hamlet of Herricks in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/Herricks-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Herricks is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the community name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Herricks have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040", "Roslyn, NY 11576" and "Williston Park, NY 11596" mailing address.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,055 times
My husband and I have been renting in Lynbrook for a few years. We have a love-hate relationship with the area. We like the people in Lynbrook and we like the older housing stock. We also like that there are certain parts of Lynbrook particularly south of Sunrise Highway where you could buy a house and your child could easily walk to their elementary, middle and high school, provided they were old enough. There is a Village Pool. We have not been to it because work keeps us busy, but it's something to check out. There is also a small beach and pool at Hewlett Point Park that you may want to drive and see.

We dislike the fact that it is such a congested area and there are always so many other people from other towns racing through the area. It's a gateway to the 5 Towns and the heart of the town is Sunrise Highway which means that thousands pass through each day at top speeds despite the 40 mph speed limit. It's a hard place for a kid to ride a bike. There is not very much open space either if that is important to you. You also can't park a car on the street overnight, which is extremely inconvenient for your guests.

We will not be looking for a home here primarily because we have family helping with child care and we need to move closer to our family. But I will say that we looked at most of the day care options in the area and didn't feel great about any of them for an infant. If you are considering another child and will need day care, I would look into that before buying and decide for yourself.

Shopping in the area is also frustrating because of the traffic. Simple errands seem to take a minimum of 2 hours. When you are working full-time, this time suck really matters. We try to shop over the internet for everything except groceries so that we can enjoy our weekends. If one spouse is home during the day, you will not feel this frustration as much since that spouse can do errands during the weekdays. I have lived in Manhattan, Queens and Suffolk County and I find this area of Nassau County to be the most frustrating of the group. In Suffolk you can drive to errands quickly and in Manhattan and Queens you can pick up things on your walk home from the subway.

I would suggest you think about looking in the part of East Rockaway that goes to Lynbrook schools. That area is a little more tucked away and peaceful and the homes are very well maintained.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,055 times
I forgot to mention that we felt that the previous mayor was really energized about revitalizing the village. We felt there was a vision for the area. Trees were being planted and storefronts were being upgraded. I think his successor had a health problem soon after taking office, which has slowed things down a bit understandably. On the village website you can check out some interesting plans that were commissioned about revitalizing downtown and revamping Sunrise Highway to slow car traffic and encourage pedestrian traffic (it's similar to what was done in Forest Hills years ago). If those plans actually took shape, I personally feel it would be wonderful for the area. This could be a great walkable community.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Thank you.

People have to remember that the majority of places -- about 8 out of every 10 places -- with a New Hyde Park mailing address (3,339 acres) are not in the Village of New Hyde Park (531 acres).
Please note, not once did I state the VILLAGE of New Hyde Park. I stand on my original statement.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Please note, not once did I state the VILLAGE of New Hyde Park. I stand on my original statement.
While there are many places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address, there is only one "New Hyde Park" and that is the Village of New Hyde Park. Any location that has a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address that is not in the Village of New Hyde Park is not in "New Hyde Park".

Old 01-01-2012, 05:45 PM

[quote=Walter Greenspan;22351714]While there are many places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address, there is only one "New Hyde Park" and that is the Village of New Hyde Park. Any location that has a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address that is not in the Village of New Hyde Park is not in "New Hyde Park".[/quote

New Hyde Park, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Taken directly from this sight:

The place name New Hyde Park is also commonly used to refer to areas outside of the village of New Hyde Park, located within the larger New Hyde Park 11040 postal zone, as set forth below.

Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island