Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:08 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times

Advertisements

Enlighten me, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:25 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Imagine how differently Long Island would have developed if the LIRR was not subsidized?
I dream about that

Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 PM

Autoracer9's dreams:

- Puppies
- Farts
- Boobs
- How differently Long Island would have developed if the LIRR was not subsidized

Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Autoracer9's dreams:

- Puppies
- Farts
- Boobs
- How differently Long Island would have developed if the LIRR was not subsidized
oll take #3 and #4 but i will settle for #4

so your half right.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:41 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times
Quote:
Imagine how differently Long Island would have developed if the LIRR was not subsidized?
Why would I want to imagine living in a depressed economic wasteland, the likes of rural Arkansas? Wait a second, I don't have to, because I wouldnt be living here, I'd be living somewhere else.

I've said it earleir, and so has someone else. Mass transit isn't a subsidy, it's a public service.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
If there were no subsidy, the poor would have to relocate in order to survive, and then their chances for climbing the economic ladder would vastly improve. Call it tough love.
So you're saying that the people working at the McDonald's in that fancy, expensive neighborhood can somehow afford to live light next store to the place?

Quote:
Even if the gov't could generate $3 in economic activity by spending $1, it is a loss, from what could have been, if the private sector could generate more than $3 by spending $1. But, in order to spend the $1, the gov't either taxes or borrows, and thereby reduces the private sector's access to limited resources. The seen and the unseen.
But in the case of public services (as Interlude correctly calls public transportation), they generally can't be run at a profit.

Quote:
As usual you're just repeating mantras instead of arguing.

Money spent on mass transit generates economic activity for local businesses. Those without cars can go shopping. The disabled can get to work instead of sitting home collecting disability. McDonald's can open in the morning because its employees, who can't buy cars on $7 an hour, can take the bus across town. Students can get to school, providing a more educated labor pool for employers.

This is an example of using public resources to benefit the economy. Much as we as a society have an interest in arresting criminals and putting out fires that could spread, destroying neighborhoods, we have an interest in the mobility of our citizens, especially in a spread-out place like Long Island where you can't just walk everywhere.
Very true.

Quote:
Everybody would be packed into inner-city slums (or expensive, crowded places in the inner city) because they couldn't afford to travel further out.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Enlighten me, please.
Enlighten you with what, he has no insight how Long Island would actually have been he just said that because it sounded clever.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:00 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Pequa - I don't have a problem with looking at salaries in principle, but I seriously doubt that's what's going to happen here. In fact here's what we got:Hmm, so just a little cut to retirement contributions and health care in exchange for guaranteed raises.

By the way, bus drivers aren't making "Don Draper money":My guess is that it's management pulling the bigger salaries, but even the president of LI Bus is making about $250k.
When you look at the high salaries (like these here) and include all the fringe benefits they receive, they are being payed very handsomely. These jobs (storekeeper, line supervisor, bus driver, dispatchers, etc.) making upwards of $150k when you factor in benefits, is not realistic or affordable. Not to ridicule bus drivers and these other positions, but it doesn't exactly take rocket scientists to fill them. I think you're downplaying or not realizing the true cost of healthcare and pension costs.

On the public service aspect of LI Bus: I agree. We should have some form of public transportation for Nassau residents. The problem is, such a small percentage of us actually use the service..and it costs way too much. LI Bus is subsidized more than other MTA operations. No one says they have to earn a profit, but no where in the NY Constitution does it say that Public Benefit Corporations are supposed to lose 70 cents on the dollar. In fact, I'm not even sure they're supposed to "lose money" to begin with..but they all do.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
howdy neighbor!

I believe I am very qualified to answer this question. I've taken both mode of transportation from home to midtown as well for years

the n20/21 is pretty decent in the morning. The 7 train is pretty much a battle of agressive riders going to the city. MY door to door commute is approx 1:15 flat. Risk is 7 subway ride has delays which is average 3-4x a month for me which is annoying. Going home is the problem imo; at times is almost unbearable. Again the agressive 7 train riders. Then the bus lines can get rather long. I seen no buses for long periods of time while a pile of buses can come at once. I think the record for me was 4 buses came back to back. The door to door commute usually is 1:15-2hrs (avg 1:45) for me; on bad rainy days with traffic delays it can take me 2.5 hrs. The traffic of nothern blvd going east with its stop & go makes the ride that much more unforgiving for me. Its amazing how much reading I get done.

You are correct about the uncertainty of the NICE's future & its riders post 2012. Its unlikely to change routes as this is a frequesntly used line. The issue is if prices rise in 2013 and its its transferable to MTA system in the future.

LIRR Port Wash line is THE best line on the LIRR. Its the only line that doesn't go thru Jamaica Station. Its rarely fails on me. It can get a little crowded on one or two popular scheduled runs. My door to door commute is around 50 min to 1 hr flat. Biggest drawback as you noted is the fare is more than double the cost of an unlimted metro card

Bottom line, the morning commute is ok. the evening is a wild card to ok to horrible. LIRR Port Wash is reliable as they come. I recc you to try both. fee free to ask any ques

Old 01-12-2012, 08:20 AM

You can't just throw out numbers and assume that people are going to find them outrageous because they are higher than what Joe Blow makes. You have to compare them, at best to a similar municipal bus agency, or at least to a private bus operator.

Seanx4's post does indicate that VA pays less in salary overall, but how do individual positions stack up? IIRC, the comparable example was teachers - and they weren't making too much less in VA, it was more a matter of eliminating waste and duplication, which could be done because the system was built from scratch in the modern era instead of being dragged kicking and screaming out of the 1950s.

Seems like of a moot point however, since we now have a private operator that just signed a union conract that will basically keep the status quo. Ergo, my original point - what we will likely see is service cuts and fare increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island