Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:14 AM

244 posts, read 540,374 times

Advertisements

I'm back with a report, after a few months of living with FIOS. I'm very happy I leaped.

I'm just over $150/month, but with a whole lot better service, much faster Internet (which I payed extra for), and two phone lines. I'm going to compare a bit between CV and FIOS, on each service.

Phone: No big differences. The one big thing I noticed is that with FIOS I can set the number of rings before it goes to voice mail. Not sure if CV had that, I know I looked for it once and couldn't find it. Also, the phone line is not connected to a cable modem, it's connected to the ONT (big box) that Verizon puts either on the side of the house, or inside if they can run a fiber cable to it. I put a DEMARC (board on the wall) in my basement, and had them install the ONT, power supply and battery backup(!) on it. Unlike CV, the FIOS voice system will keep running when the power is out for up to 8 hours, and that's only because the battery backup will run out of charge. If I power it with a generator or another UPS, it'll run for as long as I want it to. CV's equipment on the poles will die within 3-4 hours in my experience. Last power outage we had after Irene, power went out a few blocks away, and I lost my phone, cable and Internet. Verizon uses their own power from the central office for any equipment between me and them.

Internet: I ordered the 35Mbps down, 35Mbps up service, which is a step or two up from their basic Internet. I get sustained speeds of 46Mbps down, 36Mbps up. Doesn't matter what time of day, it's always the same. With CV, I had 30Mbps down, 5Mbps up (BOOST) and when the kids get out of school, and later on when people came home from work, I could tell the speed just wasn't there.

TV: First, the set-top boxes are just SO much faster. They don't use Commodore-64/Atari style graphics. The remotes don't need to be pointed directly at the box. The all-house DVR is just an added bonus.

Of course, in two years, the promotions will end (except the free DVR) and I'll either start paying more, or be able to negotiate something with VZ. BUT - as I told the CV rep on the phone when I called to cancel my service (after FIOS was already installed), I'll gladly pay more for a much better service. Which angered him for some reason.

The CV bill that started this thread was $191 with one phone line, HBO only, and 35/35 Internet. With Verizon, I have two phone lines, all the movie channels with on-demand, 35/35 Internet, and pay something like $153. (one extra phone line was $10/month).

Compared to what I was getting for $191, I'll gladly pay $250-300 when the promotions are over.

It's that good. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
I'm back with a report, after a few months of living with FIOS. I'm very happy I leaped.

I'm just over $150/month, but with a whole lot better service, much faster Internet (which I payed extra for), and two phone lines. I'm going to compare a bit between CV and FIOS, on each service.

Phone: No big differences. The one big thing I noticed is that with FIOS I can set the number of rings before it goes to voice mail. Not sure if CV had that, I know I looked for it once and couldn't find it. Also, the phone line is not connected to a cable modem, it's connected to the ONT (big box) that Verizon puts either on the side of the house, or inside if they can run a fiber cable to it. I put a DEMARC (board on the wall) in my basement, and had them install the ONT, power supply and battery backup(!) on it. Unlike CV, the FIOS voice system will keep running when the power is out for up to 8 hours, and that's only because the battery backup will run out of charge. If I power it with a generator or another UPS, it'll run for as long as I want it to. CV's equipment on the poles will die within 3-4 hours in my experience. Last power outage we had after Irene, power went out a few blocks away, and I lost my phone, cable and Internet. Verizon uses their own power from the central office for any equipment between me and them.

Internet: I ordered the 35Mbps down, 35Mbps up service, which is a step or two up from their basic Internet. I get sustained speeds of 46Mbps down, 36Mbps up. Doesn't matter what time of day, it's always the same. With CV, I had 30Mbps down, 5Mbps up (BOOST) and when the kids get out of school, and later on when people came home from work, I could tell the speed just wasn't there.

TV: First, the set-top boxes are just SO much faster. They don't use Commodore-64/Atari style graphics. The remotes don't need to be pointed directly at the box. The all-house DVR is just an added bonus.

Of course, in two years, the promotions will end (except the free DVR) and I'll either start paying more, or be able to negotiate something with VZ. BUT - as I told the CV rep on the phone when I called to cancel my service (after FIOS was already installed), I'll gladly pay more for a much better service. Which angered him for some reason.

The CV bill that started this thread was $191 with one phone line, HBO only, and 35/35 Internet. With Verizon, I have two phone lines, all the movie channels with on-demand, 35/35 Internet, and pay something like $153. (one extra phone line was $10/month).

Compared to what I was getting for $191, I'll gladly pay $250-300 when the promotions are over.

It's that good. Seriously.
Glad to hear you like it. I've had FIOS for 2 years or so and I would never switch back to Cablevision. FIOS is a much better product all around.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:32 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Usually run a comparison and Fios is $5 bucks or so more when I compare packages. Current promotions are really good and surprised me. About $40 less.

Does FIOS have MSG (Rangers and Knicks) in HD yet? In standard def?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:37 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Does FIOS have MSG (Rangers and Knicks) in HD yet? In standard def?
yes and yes.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:40 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Every thing is going up.My fios was up to $167.00 until I called and complained and they lowerd it 10 bucks a month off for a year. I still wound not not switch back to CV though.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:17 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Wow, CV took a solid right to the jaw with Fios getting MSG. I worked up a Fios package that was a lower price than I'd seen in a while. Called CV to say adios (I really have no problem with CV except the price...knock wood but my service has been decent and consistent) and they started throwing savings and upgrades at me like never before! Usually I wait for an increase then call and pull teeth to get it scaled back. This time they basically upgraded my tv package, upgraded internet, gave me 2 of the boxes for free and lopped off $40/mo!? So for now I'll stay.

Gotta love competition and remember (take it from a purchasing director...) call your company for better deals. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island