Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 26,445 times

Advertisements

My son-in-law and his cousin who does construction work on the side,built a bathroom in his basement. It has a shower stall, sink and toilet...Now he wants to extend the house. A contractor told him that he can't do it because a basement bathroom is illegal and if an extension is built, an inspector will come into the home and make him rip out the bathroom. They live in Seaford, Town of Hempstead, Nassau County.

Can a basement bathroom be legal? What should he do now? They are NOT making an illegal apartment, just needed a second bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 11:00 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECATA View Post
My son-in-law and his cousin who does construction work on the side,built a bathroom in his basement. It has a shower stall, sink and toilet...Now he wants to extend the house. A contractor told him that he can't do it because a basement bathroom is illegal and if an extension is built, an inspector will come into the home and make him rip out the bathroom. They live in Seaford, Town of Hempstead, Nassau County.

Can a basement bathroom be legal? What should he do now? They are NOT making an illegal apartment, just needed a second bathroom.

Check the local Town code. Probably online - "Town of Hempstead"

Old 02-19-2012, 04:35 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,300 times
I never heard of that. you can have as many bathrooms as you want in a house and theres almost no limitations.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:18 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
It CAN be legal but chances are the one that's there is not. I can guarantee you that the contractor is correct and if the town comes in and sees it, they will want it all brought to code which will be a headache but do-able since they are doing other work.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:05 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
A bathroom in the basement can be legal but, it can only be a 2 fixture bath. Most people will do a toilet and sink. To get the CO though they are probably gonna have to get an affidavit from a licensed plumber proving that all the plumbing was done to code. A 3 piece bath though will not be approved.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
I didn't think ours was legal / had a CO (I still have not seen a CO for it but it went through the sale just fine) but in mynassauproperty.com (after our whole-house renovations), it lists that we have 5 baths (which the basement would be the 5th). So does that mean it's legal? It is a full 3-pc bath.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:56 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I didn't think ours was legal / had a CO (I still have not seen a CO for it but it went through the sale just fine) but in mynassauproperty.com (after our whole-house renovations), it lists that we have 5 baths (which the basement would be the 5th). So does that mean it's legal? It is a full 3-pc bath.
I'm pretty sure in ToHemp the 2-pc is the rule. Not positive though. Also how old is the bathroom? If it was from the heyday it might be grandfathered in.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
It can be legal but the usual red tape (permit, architectural drawing, inspection, CO, etc.) process will have to be endured. I had exactly the type of bathroom you're describing - shower stall, sink, and toilet (so a 3 piece is fine) - and lived in the Town of North Hempstead. If anything wasn't done to code, it will have to brought up to code. The town inspector will determine whether it was done to code or not. The bathroom won't be overlooked simply because it's already there - if anything, the permit fee will be doubled, triped, or quadrupled as a penalty for going through the process after the fact. It certainly can be a headache but it's much better to go through the process now, before the time to sell comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island